Quantcast

any opinions on Hi Point 9 mm, or another cheap alternative?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
buddy of mine highly recommended the hi point 9 for home defense, most especially b/c it's cheap ($99 @ cabelas). i've read mixed reviews, and it seems those who disapprove shoot 1000/week, or are brand name snobs.

why are these guns so cheap? is it b/c they're carbine?

firebike

Chimp
Sep 25, 2008
They are not my choice, but that being said I have a friend that bought one for kicks. It is a reasonbly accurate, OK shooting gun. The trigger is not all that great, it is a large gun to handle, and it may/may not hold up to alot of of shooting. My buddy has to replace the springs periodicaly to keep it from malfunctioning. If it is all you can afford, get it. I think you may be able to find a good used gun in that caliber for not that much more that may be a better choice if you plan to keep it for a while.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
looking at the mossberg 500 tactical (it holds 5+1 i think).
my 1st pref was the remington 870, but the ones i've seen only hold 3+1

have you noticed since the election prices on all firearms have gone up 20%?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
^^ this.

my wife is the only woman on our street (except for the wh trash shacked up w/ a felon across the street in the rental) who doesn't have some sort of gun. at my request, they're working on her so i can get clearance from the tower (i know, right?).

since there's not an embargo against ammo, i'll be packing the crawlspace w/ a skid of 12 ga buckshot, and for good measure some 9 mm. i'm shying away from the 9 indefinitely; it looks like shotgun should be my first choice.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
tin foil eh? if 5 republicans are sponsoring legislation to reauthorized a ban on assault weapons, what do you think more strident gun control congressmen will do, especially w/ the backing of obama, who has made known his disdain for all things bang-bang?

a wise man once said "ice that is thick today may become thin", or something like that.

i forget. i was trying to read while peeking through my blinds.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
do you suggest that anyone who chooses armed home defense is a hand-wringing apoplectic? who in your opinion shall be viewed as emotionally stable enough to keep & bear for the expressed purpose of home defense?

remember: i'm not talking concealed or open carry - just home defense.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Uhm - don't put words in my mouth.
communication breakdown is entirely on your end, mate. i spelled out at the first post my intention to get recommendations for home defense
I own weapons and know how to use them.
that makes 2 of us [ed: except for ownership]. if you have some reason to think i don't, let me know. i hope my training & certifications issued at the collegiate, federal, & state levels on handguns, rifles, & shotguns, starting 20 yrs ago & up to this past spring assuage any concerns.
I also don't purchase ****ty tools.
and where you didn't get that info from experience, you probably got it from asking around.

kinda like here
I don't feel the need to stock up for the apocalypse, got over that in the 1970s, and recognize that the most useful weapon is one's wits.
my reason for stocking up is primarily economic; there are no pending or building threats to my family - actual nor perceived. the only threat is the cost of ammo and its scarcity are rumored to go up significantly when 0 takes office. it certainly won't go down. he has tipped his hand for years on this.

there are people who believe the gov't will come get everyone's weapons when 0 takes office, or there will be a zombocalypse in the near future. i'm not one of them. i actually believe he has a sound policy on background checks & other measures to prevent further handgun proliferation in our inner cities

Last edited:
On stocking up:

Ammunition doesn't store well over the long haul.

No matter how expensive it might become (and I don't believe that it will become expensive enough to be a realistic concern), the cost will be trivial compared to other ordinary expenditures.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
On stocking up:

Ammunition doesn't store well over the long haul.
back east, it would have been a problem (had a sizable beer can collection that was a total loss after a few yrs in the crawlspace), but i now live in a high plains desert where the humidity is routinely in the teens, & don't have a humidifier in the air handler.

i've got a couple ammo boxes ($5 ea from local surplus store) i currently use for lunch boxes.