Quantcast

Any opinions on low profile,clip in pedals?I don't know what's out there.

SCARY

Not long enough
I might be ready to try them again.I think ive acquired more confidence and a little skill since I last tried them .
I had a pair of mallets when they first came out,but I destroyed the spring thing in two rides,It was too exposed for where I live.
I just raced Smowmass and I rolled my pedal in a couple sections on my race run and it kinda freaked me going into a jump with my heal on the pedal.
The mallet does seem like a good transition pedal from flats.I just don't know if there is anything like that ,but less fragile.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Well everyone has an opinion but to me, I like the SPD's still. Tried and true...
Plus, the two sides are independent of each other so if you bash the bottom into a rock, the top doesn't pop-open. Also had adjustable tension so you can set how much pressure is needed to get out of them.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I might be ready to try them again.I think ive acquired more confidence and a little skill since I last tried them .
I had a pair of mallets when they first came out,but I destroyed the spring thing in two rides,It was too exposed for where I live.
I just raced Smowmass and I rolled my pedal in a couple sections on my race run and it kinda freaked me going into a jump with my heal on the pedal.
The mallet does seem like a good transition pedal from flats.I just don't know if there is anything like that ,but less fragile.
I absolutely love my Time Z-Controls after years of being on and off Shimano clipless pedals. They've held up for about 3 years now (although I missed a season due to injury) and the bearings are as smooth as the day I bought them. They've been one of the few parts that have been an investment and get transferred from one bike to another. Money well spent.

I'd be very interested in trying the new Time X-Roc S's if the durability is similar to the Z's as they are good bit lighter and have adjustable tension as well.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
the new xtr trail pedals, and the xt/slx equivelents are really, really nice. i have about 70 days of DH on mine, and am way stoked on them compared to my old dx 647's.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Buy Crank Brothers Mallets. Just step on them and you click in. Run the cleats in the loose setting. If you unclip too easily, swap the cleats around in less than 5 minutes.

Ride.

Repeat.

Try it now.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Time and Shimano pedals have always been great to me. I use the Shimanos when I'm hiking the bike a lot because of the steel cleats vs brass. I am using a set of decade (or more) old red 646's at the moment that are just beat to holy hell. Bent cages, clapped bearings, return springs broken. Still work great, don't release when I don't want them to, clip in easy.

Time Z's seem to have a lower profile if that's your concern. They also have the most float out of any of the big 3 offerings. The new X-Rocs look interesting. I think.

The only things I don't use are Mallets. The one time I tried them they pretty much failed in every conceivable way within 3 weeks of ownership and had the added performance benefit of launching my foot out of the pedal when I'd hit a rock with the bottom. The durability and quality on those was pretty unbelievable.