Quantcast

Any opinions on tripods?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I got a cannon digital slr, my biggest lens is a 70-200 so the total package weight is about 3.1 pounds.

I'd like to get a decent grade tripod and ball mount, and not nreak the bank. Right now I'm considering several bogen/manfrotto 3001bd, 3021bpro, and the 486rc2 head. I see a smoking deal on the B/M 190mfv (magfiber) with a 700rc fluid head for $214 but don't know if the fluid head is a good idea, or the tripod is really suitable.

Do you guys have any opinions? Any other options? Any other brands you trust? I'd like to keep it under $250.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
reactor, have you browsed this site yet?
http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

awesome reference spot for canon owners.

this forum could be of help for yr tripod questions:
http://www.photography-on-the.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

i don't have one yet, but i've been watching these auctions for some time now (unfortunately, they seem to be increasing in price...)
http://tinyurl.com/ylhpoc
Thanks. It's funny the very first mega tripod thread I the choice was the 3021bpro and 486rc2...Looks like it's a good budget choice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The 3021 is the workhorse tripod of choice for many professionals. It's a great deal and anything Bogen/Manfrotto will last close to forever. All of my studio lightstands and such are BM as well. They also just bought Avenger as their budget line.

Narlus - hope you don't mind, I bid on that tripod. Magenisum and CF for $60 is a hell of a deal. The bogen one is $400+

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Narlus - hope you don't mind, I bid on that tripod. Magenisum and CF for $60 is a hell of a deal. The bogen one is $400+
Well I know what not to bid on now!

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the 3021 with the 486rc2. I can't find part of my cheepy tripod, and wanted a new one anyway.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder

not at all! the seller usually sells two or so a week...i'm a cheap bastard and am looking to get one for about $90, but looks like the going rate is now around $125-150...i'm in no hurry, though.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
not at all! the seller usually sells two or so a week...i'm a cheap bastard and am looking to get one for about $90, but looks like the going rate is now around $125-150...i'm in no hurry, though.
Ah, ya, I am just as cheap. My max bid is $75. I am hoping having it end on Xmas day may keep away the snipers?

My current regular old tripod is a thing form the 1970s with a busted leg mech and a crappy built in head i got from my dad that he bought before I was born. It works for the little I use it, but I'd like something that isn't always on the verge of toppling over and smashing $6000 worth of gear! Getting a new tripod would be cheap insurance.

My studio stuff is all BogenManfrotto and I couldn't be happier with it.I just don't use a tripod enough to warrant dropping big bucks on it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i doubt it will go for as low as $75. i've been following these auctions for a couple of months now, and the price has been generally increasing a bit. $75 would be a steal, but you never know.