Quantcast

Any other Hackintoshers out there?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Currently running Leopard 10.5.1 on my PC. Only issues are the sound card and the $10 PCI wireless card. Tomorrow I will hardwire in from my router and be able to get online with it. The first few times it ran it was fairly unstable (needed reboots every five mins), but after some tweaking (like unplugging ghetto cheap PCI expansion cards) and toying around it seems to be pretty smooth. Just need to get the sound running and I'll be pretty much set. It recognizes the machine as a Mac Pro (2.6c2d OC'd to 3.2, 4gb RAM, WD Raptor, GeForce 7300) and runs very quickly. I'll see how it does in the next week or so with my usual tasks (internet, movies, music, Adobe CS), and if it looks good I'll consider myself XP-free. Glad I bought the parts for the box with a high emphasis on OS X compatibility.

Have to get used to the weird OS X mouse action again...very different feel than a PC, even with sensitivity turned up all the way. Is there a hack out there to speed it up more?

I'll post some screenies tomorrow. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Thank god for InsanelyMac...AppleHDA patcher has fixed my audio.

I now have a blazing fast fully functional homebrew Mac for $1100.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
And you gain what functionality that was missing from the PC?

Aside from the neato factor I don't see where the hassle is worth the outcome.

And comparing this to a tranny... wow, but it's spot on. "Just a few more hardware tweaks and replacements and I can finally run the womens DH class..." :p

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
And you gain what functionality that was missing from the PC?

Aside from the neato factor I don't see where the hassle is worth the outcome.

And comparing this to a tranny... wow, but it's spot on. "Just a few more hardware tweaks and replacements and I can finally run the womens DH class..." :p
It might have something to do with Windows sucking large donkey dong...I like OS X. So much much more than Windows. But I can't afford a Mac with the power I'd like/need.

The install was no worse than an XP install...when people say "Is it really worth the hassle?" I have to ask "What hassle?". It's stable, fully functional, and fast. It's not like it's gimped or anything here. It's Leopard running to its fullest. Hell, I just ran 300 .RAW files through Lightroom. People act like you need to type 50 lines of code every hour to keep the thing running or something...

I torched my image of my XP disk to make room for Time Machine. Sweet.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
It might have something to do with Windows sucking large donkey dong...I like OS X. So much much more than Windows. But I can't afford a Mac with the power I'd like/need.

The install was no worse than an XP install...when people say "Is it really worth the hassle?" I have to ask "What hassle?". It's stable, fully functional, and fast. It's not like it's gimped or anything here. It's Leopard running to its fullest. Hell, I just ran 300 .RAW files through Lightroom. People act like you need to type 50 lines of code every hour to keep the thing running or something...

I torched my image of my XP disk to make room for Time Machine. Sweet.
You didn't answer the question though...

What FUNCTIONALITY do you get from the mac OS that you do not get from windows. Personal preference is not functionality. Windows only sucks as much donky dong as the person who installed it.

I am not arguing against your preference for the pretty interface or what have you. But is there something that the mac OS does that windoze does not do that you need?

Personaly I don't care either way what you run. I am just curious. It does however seem to validate the opinion that macs are overpriced.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You didn't answer the question though...

What FUNCTIONALITY do you get from the mac OS that you do not get from windows. Personal preference is not functionality. Windows only sucks as much donky dong as the person who installed it.

I am not arguing against your preference for the pretty interface or what have you. But is there something that the mac OS does that windoze does not do that you need?

Personaly I don't care either way what you run. I am just curious. It does however seem to validate the opinion that macs are overpriced.
you can FUNCTIONALLY do everything with a turing machine.

:twitch: