Quantcast

Any Phoenix-Area Monkeys?

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Looks like we're moving to Phoenix! I'm stoked on the new job, but bummed about the endless summer heat. Once things cool down and early AM, I'd like to explore the area trails. We're looking to live in South Chandler/Gilbert. Anyone live in the area that can reccomend trails?

I've found a handful of trail listings, but there's nothing too extensive.

This seems to be the best one:
http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/traillist.asp?id=4

Can someone give me some direction on fun singletrack in the area? And, some beta on how busy the trails are, etc.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
National is rated as one of the best trails in the US, but i didnt like it - it was something I'd rather hike up (there was a ton of people hiking it).

Definitely take a road trip to Tucson to ride fantasy Island :thumb: :thumb:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Don't worry. Summer out there is not that bad. You get used to it and do lots of night riding (still over 100 degrees). Your body will adjust. Besides, you can always head up to Flagstaff in the summer for some great riding. And Sedona is great except on the hottest days.

If you're looking in the Chandler / Gilbert area, you're close to South Mountain, home to about a dozen great trails. Yes, as Douglas says, they are tech, but some of us think they're great. (I rode National almost every day on my XC hardtail when I lived in Tempe back in the 90s)

Other noteable trails:
Hawes -East Mesa
McDowell (Pemberton /Race loops) -Fountain Hills
North Mountain Park (Trail 100 / 1A) -Phoenix
Chiva Falls -Tucson

When you get there, go buy the ~$10 Cosmic Ray Trail book at any bike shop. It should keep you busy for a while and covers the whole state.

Have fun. I wish I still lived out there.