Quantcast

Any Pike fans ridden a new Lyrik?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I took apart my Lyrik damper first thing to replace the Pistons with my Avalanche ones. The stock compression piston had a flat compression shim stack, no pyramid, very basic/crude. Seems like it would be relatively easy to fix with the right shims.
You want to know something really annoying? They have the knowledge. There are charger dampers and rear shock dampers tuned by RS employees with some seriously badass compression stack configurations. Some of the best I've ridden on anything.

They just don't sell them like that, which is idiotic.

I guess they might be due some credit though. Just build a fork with really low break away force that stays reactive for rolling along at 5mph and every hack who makes 6 digits and buys 10k bikes is stoked.

Grrrrrrr

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I took apart my Lyrik damper first thing to replace the Pistons with my Avalanche ones. The stock compression piston had a flat compression shim stack, no pyramid, very basic/crude. Seems like it would be relatively easy to fix with the right shims.
is the shim stack much different than the pike?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Nothing at all wrong with a straight stack if it does the job. Unless they're bending back and hitting a solid backer, it's capable of producing the same dyno curve as an equivalently stiff tapered stack.

These forks are super cheap for reasons like this. Less part numbers, and no need to have someone sorting shims into order in assembly.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
hey Jim, take and post pics, wouldya please?
Kthx!
Can't, because I took the lyric pistons and put them in my Pike, after modding the stacks on it with some of the extra shimz.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Since we're talking about SHIMZ, has anyone re-shimmed the rebound shim stack to the "firm" setting from the service manual? I was tempted to do that when I was rebuilding my pike, but I've never really had any problems with the rebound.