Quantcast

Any Porsche ppl out there?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My LS7 clutch was $600 in parts. If I had a lift, I could have done it myself. It was 12 hours of labor, that has been the only big bill. The LS7 clutch was the same price as the LS1 but it's rated for 650hp vs 450hp, so it was a no brainier.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you can't explain a porsche to a corvette owner...:rofl:
No, I get it and would love to have one some day. But again, I can't on my budget. But an early GT3 would be an easy Lottery purchase for sure. That one yesterday was perfect. But I went there to look at the GT and gullwing.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I´ll be the dissenting opinion here.

At my local racetrack, 911s are the fastest cars of the bunch, by far. A well driven 991 GT3 has the track record (against a pool of 650s, 488s, r8 v10s, etc). Given this, a couple years ago, I test drove a 997 Carrera S.
That was a pretty dissapointing experience.

First thing I noticed was the car interior was tiny. Am no tall person myself (5-8"), but the 997 felt very cramped and dated. The good? Ergonomics, visibility and the PDK are awesome (PDK is THE tranmission) and the chassis is razor sharp.

The bad? Did I say the interior was tiny and dated? The engine?? pfffff.... felt anemic (I even bounced twice off the rev limiter in the street and asked the salesguy... is that all its got?), and the sound wasnt "magical" (like the AMGs V8, the Jaguars V8, the Audi V10, or even the GT3s). Was very, very underwhelmed by the experience.

I found it to be a very expensive Miata. No emotion, no giggles, no visceral experience like a Viper, AMG V8, etc... No inkling of impending doom and fiery death, Car does not convey those feelings.
And the marginally extra performance (the 10ft shorter braking distance, the extra 3-4mph at apexes) is impossible to reach out of a racetrack.

The GT3 997 (which I have also driven), is a different car/story though. Porsche GT cars are a different game.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't think that VW Cayenne or Audi Macan qualify for this thread. :D
My buddy bought his folks a Cayenne before he bought himself a GT-R. He does 90% of the work on his folks car, but when they take it to the dealership, wow. And working on that pig is a chore. But his mom loves it, the thought of her driving it scares the shit out of me. :panic:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I´ll be the dissenting opinion here.

At my local racetrack, 911s are the fastest cars of the bunch, by far. A well driven 991 GT3 has the track record (against a pool of 650s, 488s, r8 v10s, etc). Given this, a couple years ago, I test drove a 997 Carrera S.
That was a pretty dissapointing experience.

First thing I noticed was the car interior was tiny. Am no tall person myself (5-8"), but the 997 felt very cramped and dated. The good? Ergonomics, visibility and the PDK are awesome (PDK is THE tranmission) and the chassis is razor sharp.

The bad? Did I say the interior was tiny and dated? The engine?? pfffff.... felt anemic (I even bounced twice off the rev limiter in the street and asked the salesguy... is that all its got?), and the sound wasnt "magical" (like the AMGs V8, the Jaguars V8, the Audi V10, or even the GT3s). Was very, very underwhelmed by the experience.

I found it to be a very expensive Miata. No emotion, no giggles, no visceral experience like a Viper, AMG V8, etc... Car does not convey those feelings.
And the marginally extra performance (the 10ft shorter braking distance, the extra 3-4mph at apexes) is impossible to reach out of a racetrack.

The GT3 997 (which I have also driven), is a different car/story though. Porsche GT cars are a different game.
The AMG GT, I swear. When I first saw pics, I thought it was Miata sized. Then I saw/heard one downtown and yeah, full of want. The dealer yesterday has the gullwing, a stock GT, and an SLS Widestar? It was damn hot, too.

The Widestar is a bit much, but seriously pimp.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The AMG GT, I swear. When I first saw pics, I thought it was Miata sized. Then I saw/heard one downtown and yeah, full of want. The dealer yesterday has the gullwing, a stock GT, and an SLS Widestar? It was damn hot, too.

I have driven both, the GT-S and the SLS (having worked at Mercedes-Benz and all).

SLS, top 5 cars I´ve ever driven/ridden on (and that list is extensive). Seriously, that car is something special.
The engine, the handling, the doors. The interior feels dated (monochromatic pixels galore), but besides the obvious.... as close to perfection as it gets. Thats a million dollar car in 20-30 years.

The GT is a great car. I dont like the 4.0 biturbo as much as the old 6.2... but its still a monster of an engine and probably faster.
GT-S > 911 Carrera S in my book.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I chased a brand new '17 911 Turbo S down Rocky Point. He had awd, all wheel steering, and twice the horsepower. He couldn't shake me. If we were on a track, sure. But this is Rocky Point, nowhere to go.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the 997 felt very cramped and dated. The good? Ergonomics, visibility and the PDK are awesome (PDK is THE tranmission) and the chassis is razor sharp.

... and this is part of the reason why I ended up with a Tesla Model 3. In its LR AWD trim it's more useful than a 2+2 911, is faster than a 996 Turbo, and is nothing but brutally modern in its clean, airy interior with the same low cowl advantages as the rear engine VW. It is my Porsche in spirit.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
... and this is part of the reason why I ended up with a Tesla Model 3. In its LR AWD trim it's more useful than a 2+2 911, is faster than a 996 Turbo, and is nothing but brutally modern in its clean, airy interior with the same low cowl advantages as the rear engine VW. It is my Porsche in spirit.
If you can bounce off the rev limiter in a sports-car in the streets, and not be somewhat scared by the experience....
thats not a car for me.

The Porsche GT cars are a different league.
There is a sense of ocassion in the wide sills, *those* non-reclinable bucket seats (which I think are euro-spec only... and did I say the standard 911 seats suck?), the colored seatbelts, the alcantara interior, the fire suppresant and the factory roll cage. And then, you turn them on... floor them to 9000rpm and the whole experience connects on a limbic level.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@stoney seems sold on the idea. My wife saw one in the parking lot the other day and asked what it was (since there is no real badging). She said, that's really ugly, I laughed.

I like the idea of the 3, but the proportions look funny to me. The S is nice, waiting to see the Taycan in RL.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Last year at the lame ass "Taste of Motorsports" there was a guy there taking delivery of a new GT3 and was breaking it in at PIR. It sounded sooo good in the high revs, you could tell he was enjoying himself.

I still haven't tracked my car, but I will after this winters upgrades.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
is that right?
or do you mean, quicker?
Sorry, yes, quicker. It will be wiped clean over 60 mph... but for real world driving it's both quicker from 0 mph and immensely quicker at a roll (no downshifting, no turbo lag, nothing but thrust NOW).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
It boils down to what you want out of your purchase.

If you want to buy a car, so that you can say "I´ve got a Porsche", and dress like Joey from Friends in that episode about the Porsche and correct people on the proper german pronunciation... then Porsche it is.
No other way to satisfy that.

Last edited:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
^ I was gonna go with Magnus Walker, a likable bloke who seemed pleased I turned up on my bicycle at one of his car gatherings in BK a few years ago.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I´d buy one of those so hard over a Carrera 911.

Forget its a Chevrolet for a minute. Slap a Mclaren/Ferrari badge upfront, upsell everything on the interior (hello Porsche?), charge 3x and people would still buy it.
Objectively, is a much better buy.
There was a guy at the Corvette Classic a few years ago. He traded his 458 and bought a C6ZR1. Then he spent over $100k on upgrades to the shit C6 interior and said he still had money in the bank from the trade in. The C7 was bad ass, but the 8 finally got it right. I can't wait for the Z06 and the C8R. The racecar looks awesome and might be a winner.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I think @Nick is referring to top speed (no contest) versus acceleration, the latter being quicker.
Fastest I´ve driven in an open highway is about 170mph, and that was trying to reach 300km/h, I saw no point on pushing more.... anything above that, is mostly academic.

For me, in between 50 and 130mph is where fun is.
Anything above 140-150mph, and is more apprehensive than fun. Taking a bend above 120mph and 0.7g outside a racetrack is mostly insanity.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anything above 140-150mph, and is more apprehensive than fun. Taking a bend above 120mph and 0.7g outside a racetrack is mostly insanity.
I have never had my car above 100mph. But a 30mph corner at 65 and about 1g is where the fun is around here. :D

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have never had my car above 100mph. But a 30mph corner at 65 and about 1g is where the fun is around here. :D
I've hit ~130 in the M and that was well more than enough to have fun, but it's not usable. I've done more on the track in the Subaru, but it was at limit and a different experience. Until we have the Autobahn, cars that go over 100pmh are truly useless in this country. The launch and on-demand power up to 80ish are all that matter in the real world.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I've hit ~130 in the M and that was well more than enough to have fun, but it's not usable. I've done more on the track in the Subaru, but it was at limit and a different experience. Until we have the Autobahn, cars that go over 100pmh are truly useless in this country. The launch and on-demand power up to 80ish are all that matter in the real world.
I was in the States a couple weeks ago. Everybody on the Florida turnpike was doing 90+ mph. At some point, I was goind 95ish for long stretches and wasnt passing any cars. The average autobahn speed isnt much higher than that, if I recall correctly, and the roads are narrower.

Did about 150mph in the 31 degree banking of Daytona Speedway that weekend.. Vertical g´s (about 2-2.5) were awesome.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Best toy-car advice I´ve received:

Buy whatever sports-car you want, but leave some money to buy tires. Replace factory tires with Michelin Sport Cup2s and replace tires with every oil change.
Profit.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

Buy whatever sports-car you want, but leave some money to buy tires. Replace factory tires with Michelin Sport Cup2s and replace tires with every oil change.
Profit.
My tires are clearly the weak link, but they aren't garbage and I get about 40k miles commuting on them. At some point I will have 2 sets of wheels/tires.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Profit.
The new Conti ExtremeContact Sport and ExtremeContact DW are pretty serious and damn near PSS2's for half the px.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My tires are clearly the weak link, but they aren't garbage and I get about 40k miles commuting on them. At some point I will have 2 sets of wheels/tires.
That's too many miles for a performance car. You shouldn't get more than 20-25k. I get 15k front, 10k rear (if I'm lucky).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Look at my cost of ownership and get back to me. Paid $14k. 6 years 110k miles, less than $3k in repairs (the clutch was $2500). I have averaged 26mpg. 2 sets of tires, one set of brakes. The bitch runs like a top. She has 181k miles now and is 18 years old. But it's by far the most fun car I have had to date and is my commuter queen. But yeah, it's a Chevy and I get parts at Napa.

Try that with a Porsche. :rofl:
A Corvette should be cheap to maintain, it has a truck engine and an interior from a Malibu.

This new one might be a bit more to maintain.