Quantcast

any races Mar 12-17th?

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Thanks Stephanie! I will be there, tired as hell, but there none-the-less. I'll get to So-Cal about 2:00 am on the 12th! Goodness. Why do we do this to ourselves?

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
I'm not sure but I remember last year driving to Park City and leaving San Diego at 4:30 pm. Umm...13 hours of driving later....I was doing my first national level downhill race (expert) and was so tired by the time I got to the top of the mountain for practice I wanted to cry! It was a great race though, and well worth it (though I think we may fly this year)! By the way, is Bozeman anywhere near Missoula? My boyfriend's brother just moved there and we're going rafting on the Lochsa River this May.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
DH mainly, but I'm really diggin the looks of the 4x scene as well! Missoula is about 3 hours west of us here in Bozeman, and has pretty good riding there! If your going to go white water rafting up here anywhere you should really check out the yellowstone river and the madison river starting around June! It can be Epic!

It will take me around 16 hours to get to E-town, and I tell myself everyyear that "I'm gonna fly next time!" I just don't know about/haven't inquired about getting bikes on a plane. Any advice??? Anyway, (my ol' lady) and I will be there on Sunday tired or not, and I'll be on a green Giant DH comp with a Fox 40, so if you see us kickin around,,,, say hi! Later,

Gary

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
12-17 are weekdays, there wont be any races except the fontana one, If you are in elsinore I would hit up the San Juan Trail, its on the other side of ortega hwy.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
it's good that you can make it to the race...the dh at fontana, while not *epic* can be quite fun and has a really laid back kind of atmosphere. usually, a bunch of us are set up with easy-ups and hang out in between runs, etc. i'm sure the 4X will be ready by then, seeing that the 1st national is getting ever closer. the only thing about fontana that freaks out some people is "the wall"...a long pedaling section at the end. while not too bad, it can really slow you down, especially if your cardio is sub-par. also, if you have an "all-mountain" type bike with mid-range travel, you might want to try riding that. sometimes, people find a bike dh bike overkill. (but, i'll still be out there on my M3!) also, what class/age group will you be riding?

i'll look out for you that weekend. i'll be pretty easy to spot because:
1. i'm a girl.
2. my team is wearing the *bright* green camo troy lee this year.
3. my name is on the back of my helmet

have a safe drive down, and thank you for the recommendations on the rafting thing...it's my first time rafting, and let's just say that i'm putting my trust in my boyfriend!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
about bike options:

1. if you are an IMBA member, you should have gotten vouchers for United Airlines. you could use those, but United usually costs more :wonky2:

2. if you are a USA Cycling/NORBA member, you should have gotten bike vouchers for United Airlines. again, mucho dinero for United.

3. Southwest Airlines is usually the cheapest to fly the bikes...something like $50.

4. all other airlines are going to be $80. you are paying an extra fee because it's *sporting* equipment. please be careful and call ahead, because: sometimes they will count this bike box as a PIECE OF LUGGAGE, and then slam you with extra charges for having extra luggage. it happened to us while flying Continental...we flew 3 bikes to West Virginia and the f@#kers charged us for extra baggage because we had 3 total bags (gear) plus the 3 bikes, and they only allow *2 pieces* of luggage. anyways, it was a hassle, so just protect yourself and check in advance.

5. you'll need a bike box. now, that can range from cardboard (not recommended...screaming for damage) to soft cases to hard cases. hard cases cost about $300 but if you are going to fly often enough, it can be worth it. if not, ask around and i'm sure someone has one you can borrow...there's always somebody who has one.

hope this helps...if i were you, i'd throw down the $$ and fly :D

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Well, although the Bozeman airport is increasing in size, it's still small enough to have the airlines charge out the wazoo for their services! $1200.00 to ontario! A one way rental car costs me 71.80 to the OC AP ( I bought a truck down there, not moving!) so it's more economical for me to drive, not considering the neccessity! lol. Anyway, I'm gonna bring my Iron Horse 7" all mountain bike with me and decide then what bike to use. This is the ONLY benifit of not being sponsored that I can see! HA!

I appreciate the info, and if you need any more info from me about anything up here, save my e-mail addy:
alwaysbroncin1972@yahoo.com, and I'd be happy to oblige! BTW if you guys are up here around August we have a DH race with a nice little purse (1500.00 last year,) and we have some of the best trails in the country believe it or not at big sky resort (bigskyresort.com) our attendance has been steadily increasing over the last 3 years, but there is always room for more!

If you get an extra day on your rafting trip, scoot over to bozeman and I'll take you guys to big sky and show you what DH is like in some real trees :D

This goes for anyone else that's reading this post, I'm always looking for an excuse to go shred big sky!

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
merrrrjig said:
12-17 are weekdays, there wont be any races except the fontana one, If you are in elsinore I would hit up the San Juan Trail, its on the other side of ortega hwy.
Believe me, I love the trails around e-town. horse theif is a kick in the ass, and I'll be shreddin the rest of the week! Gimme an e-mail if we can get a crew together for sometime during the week! I shuttle up indian truck trail, and if there is someone in or near the OC to pick us up on the other side of the ortegas there is a trail that is definately worth the drive to ride (the name escapes me right now) something "canyon." Beautiful!

Alwaysbroncin1972@yahoo.com

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Yikes! $1200 to Ontario! Oh well...nothing wrong with a good old-fashioned road trip :D

I've heard about the race up there...sounds like a really great time. This May will be my first time in Montana, so I'm excited to see what it's like.