Quantcast

Any Rally Racing Enthusiasts on RM?

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
Id really like to get involved in some, looking into some awd cars etc. Also thinking about building a track on our 50 acers of land, insights?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm this close to buying and Audi UrQ rally project....

You should understand if you're into rallying.

Tips:

Don't build your course near trees.

Buy a car somebody else has gotten tired of. It's way cheaper. There's a Civic on www.rallyclassified.com for like 5400. It would cost you 3000 to have the cage welded in a car, and that's for a cheap one.

Don't worry about AWD. Yeah, it's fun, but if you're serious about racing, it's cheaper to buy and race FWD. It's also good to learn, because AWD is faster and may get you into more trouble.

You don't need a rally car to have fun in the dirt. If you have a course, or track, or rallycross series to compete in, buy a cheap medium performance car and use it just to rally with. If you don't have far to go, it doesn't even need to be street legal. You'll have a lot more fun driving if you don't have to worry about going to work in the same car the next day.

Do a search on rallycross, and find the division in your area (no idea where you are). Go to one of the rallyXes and spectate or course marshall. It's real laid back, and you get to watch some people drive and go for a ride in other people's cars. You can also pay 20-50 and drive.

Whatever you do, always wear a helmet (moto-x helmet is acceptable) and your seatbelt. You can't course rally without a cage, but you can rally-x with just a helmet, which is a good starting point.

Lastly, leave the race on the dirt or track, where it belongs. you'll get in trouble, die...yada yada. And don't worry too much about your car, I had tons-o-fun in my RWD Starion at the rally X i attended.

HTH

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Sandwich said:
Don't worry about AWD. Yeah, it's fun, but if you're serious about racing, it's cheaper to buy and race FWD. It's also good to learn, because AWD is faster and may get you into more trouble.
Lots of good advice in your post. Never rallied myself (I'll wait until I am over with DH racing) but I know that in France all promotion classes are on small cheap underpowered (think 130 HP MAX!) classes.

No need to go buy an Evo 9 quite yet ;)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There's a cool little track next to the fair grounds on my way to work. It's cool because it's wide open. I have been told anyone can go out there and run.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
me!! i have a valid rally license.

take a few rally driving classes with an experienced instructor.
learn to write/read a route, try to get a co-driver license and learn riding along with an instructor.
i like tarmac a whole lot more than dirt (in fact i dont like dirt). try autocrossing too.

1600cc is the basic FIA rally category. a basic 1600cc rally car shouldnt be that expensive, and they are quite fun.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
formermtboarder said:
Id really like to get involved in some, looking into some awd cars etc. Also thinking about building a track on our 50 acers of land, insights?
i am so ready to finally get on stage.
my favorite site:
http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/
what google earth is for:
these are the 2004 SS for 100aw and 2006 service areas and scedules. i use earth to find roads in my area. and at events to find good spectating. i am goingto help crew for rallyvw.com teams tdi golf this year.
while i did some testing in my old car but only with a full cage and helmet. once i found the drunk land owner and he was shooting his riffle. came around a couner and his truck sideways with him over his hood pointing his riffel at me.........i talked him out of shooting me and got the hell out of there. its texas what do you exspect! i have never back to that area!:p sunday afternoon was not a good time to poach.
bcdracing.com/pics/rally/100aw/100aw 2004 stages.zip

as for the car i would buy unless you have some old cars laying around for parts and you like boody knuckles and have fun building things. i would get a volvo or merkur XR. 5-7k. they seem to be the standard RWD fun cars. if you want AWD old subaru cant be beat for around 10-15khave a look at the class rules in the area you will run so if you play turns into race you will be in a class you want to be in.

i am prepping "satan" a 1974 bmw 2002 with a 2.7 m20 out of a 325i.

o also check out these guys track on a field.
http://www.coloradorally.org/storage/CORE.wmv