Quantcast

any reason not to get the GF a Reign X1?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/reign.x1/14836/66235/#features

she's mostly an XC rider but has been getting into some of the flowy / slightly chunky trails at mammoth etc and has connections that mean Giant = super cheap. and there are trails around here that she would pedal this thing up for. the Small would fit her pretty well w/ a short stem.

- I vaguely recall that in 2013 they fixed that lower link design so it wouldn't fail ?
- The Lyrik RC 160 => has motion control damper...prolly spend $90 on mission DH
- Geo => BB height isn't specified but it's not too high right? I have some offset shock eyelet reducers, might try that to slacken HA by a degree or so. Does the weird Giant overdrive headset mean i can't use a works component slackerizing headset?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Bottom cup is 56..not sure about the top mine wasnt overdrive2

EC 56 angleset at -.5 with a pike put it at 66deg which worked pretty good..with the dual position fork it climbed really good for 170mm travel...definitely want a travel adjust fork though if she plans on doing steep climbs..

I just got off one..I beat the piss out of a 2010...the frame broke, the link held up fine..broke a shock bolt once but other than that I rode it for a year with no problems...rear end is relatively flexy but thats a 200lb man attacking corners at full speed...

The reach is really short but that's all personal preference..

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It's a great bike, especially if the price is right. It's gonna feel a little piggy if she's used to an XC and she'll really notice the extra drag from "real tires". Will she still have an XC bike or will this be her only ride? If so she may have a love/hate relationship with it unless you put it on a $$ diet and swap tires for her depending on what she's riding that day. Most XCers love the feel of their first AM bike but the not-strong ones miss the effortless cruising of their XC bikes. I'm about to move my girl from a hardtail to a Cdale Jekyll (kind of lower end heavish build) and hoping she likes it.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
http://www.livgiant.com/en-US/showcase/intrigue/#overview

You should check out the Liv/Giant Intrigue. My girlfriend works for Liv/Giant and she rides her intrigue for almost everything these day (from xc to big mountain stuff like Moab and Whistler). From what she has told me the bike pedals really well but has more relaxed geometry and added travel that allows the bike to handle bigger hits and more technical terrain.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
she'll continue to ride her 140 mm Ibis Mojo xc bike. the idea here is to get a more descent-oriented bike but with 2X10 drivetrain and burlier build overall. So a 170 mm lyrik would be about right. I have extra parts (xt cranks, hadley/flow wheelset, etc) that would help drop some weight off the stock build.