Quantcast

Any reason NOT to get this tower for video editing?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Maybe its just me, but I'd rather be editing video on a Mac.

FWIW Apple sells refurbed machines on their website, would save a couple hundo, but still not the cheapest.

But I don't think you'd have an issue. Its got plenty of CPU and ram, which is what you need for video editing. What software would you be using?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah most people who say that formed those opinions in 1994. :D

Fvck mac. I've used them. I don't like them. That quicktime based BS is annoying as hell.

I'm using adobe software (premeire pro, after effects and encore). They work fine but I'm getting to the point of maxing out my system too frequently.

I'd go compare the specs at a couple of other sites first:

www.newegg.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.cyberpowerpc.com

You probably won't find that exact model at any of those sites but you should be able to spec a similar machine and my guess would be at a lower price as well.
I'll do that for sure. My problem though is that I'm kind of an idiot, even when looking at things lined up next to each other. Is an Intel i7 any better than the AMD quad cores? ATI vs nVidia for the same rated card?

It's those sorts of things that I honestly don't have enough knowledge of to have a preference and/or know if the price differences are justified.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah most people who say that formed those opinions in 1994. :D

Fvck mac. I've used them. I don't like them. That quicktime based BS is annoying as hell.

I'm using adobe software (premeire pro, after effects and encore). They work fine but I'm getting to the point of maxing out my system too frequently.

I didn't own a Mac until 2007. So suck it! :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Uh. Why?

You're working with a software interface. The interface is going to be 95% the same if you're, say, working with Adobe Premier on a Mac or on a PC.

Woo, that system looks fine but it doesn't seem like a screaming deal.

You could probably get one of the newer Intel CPUs and chipsets along with some tri-channel memory for that price and Intel is just staying a step ahead in the processor race. The i7 chips are screaming fast and even the i5 chips are giving them a run for the money. I can't do too much spec'ing at work but I can probably poke around online tonight to make a couple recommendations.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I didn't own a Mac until 2007. So suck it! :D
So you're even more of a nutjob. You had a worthwhile case in the 90s.

Thanks BV. That's the kind of thing I was asking for. I'm going to look up what it is "trichannel memory" now. :D

I don't mind throwing a tower together myself. I've literally replaced everything in my current system piece by piece. But I mean hell.....I don't even know what it is 'trichannel memory'. Can I really be trusted?

I wouldn't even mine sending you some money to put together a list for me.

*hint* hint*

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
we make a great pro cam that id love to get, but its a quicktime based cam...big let down IMO

that computer looks more than adequate, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
we make a great pro cam that id love to get, but its a quicktime based cam...big let down IMO

that computer looks more than adequate, but you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere
What? You don't like looking at files as if there were a screen of Vaseline over the lens? :D

Everyone keeps telling me that but I really can't find one cheaper...... Even building it up.

Only difference I've found worth doing is an intel i7 processor instead.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So you're even more of a nutjob. You had a worthwhile case in the 90s.
When the 90's started I was 7. My family didn't have a computer at home until 1995, and at that point I thought I was the king of the world because I knew how to create a folder inside of another folder! :rofl:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Do they offer a Blu-ray burner? Can't see the point of just having a player on a desktop.
i agree. Blu-Ray players on desktop pc's are silly, unless you are using it as a HTPC. Blu-Ray burners are dirt cheap now and allow you to use all of your camcorder's capabilities (higher bit rate transfer)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So I'm not too stoked on the HP anymore. :D

There's a story behind the catchy title

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=6174

What do any of you know about ibuypower? I can configure a system there for about literally the same price as building my own with the exact same bits. Seems like a typical dork squad building computers for gamers. But it's really hard to take all complaints seriously when you know it's the same audience talking shlt.

What says y'alls?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BTW, I've actually set up 3 ibuypower boxes for customers and they were all very good. Good quality components (no sketchy stuff like sticking a cheap power supply in there). In my email, I wasn't digging on them, just giving you a different component spec that might suit your needs better.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BTW, I've actually set up 3 ibuypower boxes for customers and they were all very good. Good quality components (no sketchy stuff like sticking a cheap power supply in there). In my email, I wasn't digging on them, just giving you a different component spec that might suit your needs better.
Oh I know. I'm pretty much building up the spec you sent me, just getting IBP to do it. :D

I can get a stronger system than that costco one for about 200 bucks less. Your input has helped a bunch. I feel somewhat armed.

Last edited: