Quantcast

Any recommendations for a quiet hub?

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
So I got a new bike and it's super quiet... The only sound from it is from the occasional chain slap and the tires and the freewheel. Realized that I now can't stand the noise my freewheel is making. Had a DT Swiss 240 with 54t upgrade in it but it's to loud. Tried saint, XT, a Bontrager and a Novatec and they are to loud.
I have been looking on Onyx hubs, any experiences with them? Other suggestions?
Btw joined the lizards and now need boost spacing (148mm) preferably with 6bolt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My DTs are damn near silent. My other hubs are hopes. Do yours have grease?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Usually my hopes are enough to alert hikers, but approaching with the DTs is like stealth mode. Thing about hopes in a race though, if you hear the sound, it means you should be pedaling.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Thing about hopes in a race though, if you hear the sound, it means you should be pedaling.
Wonder which hubs the Norco WC team is using.....maybe Blenki is forced by sponsor obligations to ride their noisy hub and hates it. Would explain his pedaling in the air....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I would like an Onyx hub.

Stealth are also supposed to be new/fancy.

Are those the ones by Profile?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Did Shimano not yet release their Scylence freehub for MTB hubs? It is on the Dura ace hubs, or am I wrong?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
fortunately I'm in such bad shape my heavy breathing and the sound of my pounding heart drown out any noise coming from my bike.

my King hubs are virtually silent.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Sandwich has onyx hubs. Dead silent they are. And very yellow.
aye, that's me.

I sprang for a set of onyx hubs because I have money and am also stupid. They are fantastic hubs. Worth it? I dunno. Fun? no doubt. You can get them in any color, and you can get the fun bits in any color as well. They will also build you whatever spacing you want. Therefore, I got neon yellow with purple ano bearing caps. They are indeed dead silent. It's very weird to coast along and hear no noise- it's a more natural feeling, but it's also creepy not having audible feedback on your speed. A freehub that hums also tells you how fast you are going. It's not something you notice till it's gone.

As for performance, they are good. They do seem to coast really well, but I'm not sure that's just the hub, or switching to tubeless/low pressure/carbon rims at the same time as the hubs. Also, while engagement is instantaneous, there is a bit of lash as the drivetrain tightens. I've never tried it side by side with a toothed engagement hub, but it's almost like the sprag clutch has to bite in with high torque, yielding a small amount before actual engagement. Also, it's a bit heavy. I have a shimano steel freehub and XT cassette, and replacing that with an alloy XD driver and high end cassette stands to save a half a pound of hub weight.

I'm not going to lie and tell you anything about their durability. I built my bike when I had a one year old, then had knee surgery, then my wife had knee surgery, and now I have a 4 month old in addition to a four year old, so riding time is comically short. I do love riding it and it's hilarious riding with somebody like @StiHacka, because his hub sounds like a can of yellow jackets and mine is silent.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
The German Bike mag had a test in their 6/17 issue and they were same weight, same shifting performance, same everything (besides color and logo). They even stated it in their test that they think the Box is a ripoff.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The right amount of grease in them yes. You can't really use that much grease on the 54t. The 18 ratchet you can get fairly quiet.
Can you live with the 36 ratchet? With the recommended DT grease, it is relatively quiet, at least more than with whatever grease I had before.
I considered the idea of having a thick oring where they remove some material to make it lighter. The oring would dampen some of the noise. I did not bother to mesure and order the appropriate size yet...