Quantcast

Any SCUBA divers out there?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The wife and I want to take SCUBA lessons. However we really have no experience or knowledge of such things so we were wondering if any of you all could offer some advice? Where to go. What to buy. Which cert to get, etc.

Also, my ears tend to start hurting past about 6 feet deep. How does one deal with the pressure? I have ever only gone snorkeling and have not had to spend any length of time at depth.

If anyone is in So Cal and can offer some advice as to where to go dive or good places to learn that would be awsome as well. We are really looking forward to this, as both of us love the sea and have wanted to learn to dive for ages.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. And if any of you have any underwater photos you've taken please post em up!

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Ciaran said:
The wife and I want to take SCUBA lessons. However we really have no experience or knowledge of such things so we were wondering if any of you all could offer some advice? Where to go. What to buy. Which cert to get, etc.

Also, my ears tend to start hurting past about 6 feet deep. How does one deal with the pressure? I have ever only gone snorkeling and have not had to spend any length of time at depth.

If anyone is in So Cal and can offer some advice as to where to go dive or good places to learn that would be awsome as well. We are really looking forward to this, as both of us love the sea and have wanted to learn to dive for ages.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. And if any of you have any underwater photos you've taken please post em up!
Well, I went with PADI - it's more accessible than BSAC (my only realistic alternative). A decent school should teach you equalisation techniques - the golden rule is if it hurts and you can't equalise do NOT go any deeper. The first few metres are the worst as the relative pressure change is much higher at lower depth. Take it slow and learn as much as you can. Also do not worry about a camera for a while as thinking about taking pictures buggers up your technique.

Diving is one of the coolest things I've ever done.

skidster!!

Chimp
Sep 25, 2004
whitehorse, yukon
Ciaran said:
You will have to equalize a lot, i've been diving for 2 years, and took an SSI course (Scuba Schools International), which is as internationally recognized as PADI. Diving is a great experience, and there's a lot out there. Someday I'll get to do some warm water diving, not cold alaskan diving.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Hey,

My roommate is very big into scuba diving. She's been doing it for years and has several certifications to her name.

If my memory serves me correct, she's good friends with a guy who runs a school in Corona del Mar, or somewhere near there. If you're interested, I can get you all the info you'll need.

Andrew

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I guess equalizing the pressure is something I'll have to get used to. It fels so weird, holding your nose and blowing... it feels like my ears are going to blow out!

Diving in Alaska, eh? Dang, how thick does your wetsuit have to be?

I'm thinking maybe I should get one of these...

I have always been fascinated by deep diving. I would LOVE to try one of these dealies...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
reflux said:
Hey,

My roommate is very big into scuba diving. She's been doing it for years and has several certifications to her name.

If my memory serves me correct, she's good friends with a guy who runs a school in Corona del Mar, or somewhere near there. If you're interested, I can get you all the info you'll need.

Andrew
That would be awsome! CDM isn't too far from us. Thank you!

I approve of info!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I got certified back in like 1987 and did a bunch of dives in Hawaii, Australia, etc. But it's been a good 15 years since I submerged :(

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dont get all teh classes and stuff. Just get a air tank and a mask and go for it. F*** all the log books and stupid rules. The bends is a myth i am told and its really not a big deal. Just go down there and spear some stuff and swim back up. Simple as taht.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Ciaran said:
That would be awsome! CDM isn't too far from us. Thank you!

I approve of info!
You're welcome. I've sent her an email, so I should hopefully have the info to you by the time I leave today.

OT: Are you riding this weekend?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
BurlyShirley said:
I dont get all teh classes and stuff. Just get a air tank and a mask and go for it. F*** all the log books and stupid rules. The bends is a myth i am told and its really not a big deal. Just go down there and spear some stuff and swim back up. Simple as taht.
Chuck Norris and Ditka scuba dive without air tanks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Aw, I missed my chance to give advice.

SCUBA is awesome when there's good stuff to see, but I'm not the kind of diver who lives simply to get underwater. Some people love overcoming the adversity of deep, cold, limited vis environments... me, I want to spend lots of time in warm water looking at amazing life and swimming though channels made of coral. It's the experience which does it for me, not the technical aspects of making the dive.

I mean, if I had to get cold or uncomfortable to see some amazing shipwreck or something, I'd do it in a heartbeat...but seeing guys in San Diego on mixed-gas rigs just to get down to a deep wreck in the cold, where you can't see more than 4 ft in front of you anyway, just strikes me as a waste of time. If I can't see anything, why go?

Then again, cave diving looks pretty sweet, so...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
reflux said:
Chuck Norris and Ditka scuba dive without air tanks.
When Chuck Norris jumps in the pool, he doesn't get wet. The water gets Chuck Norris.

MD

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Depends where you want to dive and what shop is near you.

I got my SSI certification along with SSI drysuit for diving in fresh water (it's been invaluable at Dutch Springs and here upstate). When I was in Roatan I took an advanced open water cert which extended my range to 130ft comfortably. The following winter I picked up an SSI Nitrox certification whic, for me, makes a big difference in how I feel after a full dive day.

Basically I'd tell you this: Start off with your open water certification. Buy your own Mask, snorkel and fins (dive boots also, they will save your feet numerous times) at the very least. If you find you really enjoy diving, I'd pick up a wetsuit or dive skin (again, dependent upon where you're diving) next. If you find you really like to dive, and plan to dive a lot, then your own reg, BC and computer will pay for itself in a couple trips.

After you've got a bunch of open water dives under your belt, consider branching out. If you love wrecks, take a wreck course. If you love photography, take a UW photography course.

You can pretty much tailor your certification to your likes and dislikes of diving. Check out the websites for PADI and SSI and there should be loads of infor on them. PADI Sport Diver magazine also has a lot of interesting hints, as does Dive Training magazine.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Awsome. Thanks Rob, that helps alot.

I think that we'll want to get out and dive locally if we can. I know that the water is clearer in spots like Laguna, La Jolla, and up north. Living in So Cal lends itself to water sports. My inlaws living in San Diego on the beach helps too. :D

We'd love to take diving vacations eventually. Tropical locations and all that. I'd love to be able to go lobster hunting and diving wrecks sounds really interisting. I see myself diving far more often than the wife as I am drawn to the sea more than she is.

I've done a ton of snorkeling locally, but am only now finally getting round to diving. Great, just wahat I needed... another very expensive hobby! :p :)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Ciaran said:
Awsome. Thanks Rob, that helps alot.

I think that we'll want to get out and dive locally if we can. I know that the water is clearer in spots like Laguna, La Jolla, and up north.

We'd love to take diving vacations eventually. Tropical locations and all that. I'd love to be able to go lobster hunting and diving wrecks sounds really interisting. I see myself diving far more often than the wife as I am drawn to the sea more than she is.

I've done a ton of snorkeling locally, but am only now finally getting round to diving. Great, just wahat I needed... another very expensive hobby! :p :)
Where abouts are you located?

Lobster hunting is sometimes a tough catch. No pun intended. A lot of places don't do hunting, but I'm sure if you research you'll find a few.

My only advice is find yourself a really GOOD mask that you feel VERY comfortable with. It needs to REALLY fit your face as close to perfectly as possible, otherwise life will be miserable at depth.

I did my open water cert. dives in Lake Skaneatles, which was just barely thawed, but I know a lot of places will do a referral for dives. You can likely do your open water dives someplace like the Florida Keys (Key largo or something like that) and be in nice 80 degree water for your open water dives. Much nicer than freezing in a 6 mil suit in a quarry like my father did for his open waters. :thumb:

And I'd definitely take that advanced cert. Some of the best stuff I've been on has been below 60 feet (back wall of Molokini Crater is one, USCGC Duane was another, Mary's Place in Roatan was another).

Edit:
A note on regs and such. Get a feel for some of the different regs before you buy anything. Try renting from places and try different model regs. When I finally bought one, I ended up with a Scubapro Mk20 ultralite with an S600 2nd stage because it seemed to breathe the best for me. For BCs, a back inflation model worked better for me by keeping itself out of my way (and I can lounge on my back on the surface like it's a raft as well).

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
One thing to consider...PADI is a very user-friendly system, very enticing to the aspiring diver, and very well-recognized. I'm a PADI diver, because that's what was offered when I was stuck (heh) on Okinawa and diving was the best way to use my time.

That said, after being in the PADI mill for a few courses, you'll start to feel like a commercial product...everything's dovetailed in to some other way for you to spend more money with them, and it feels a bit scam-y and slick after a while. I've been told that NAUI instruction doesn't necessarily feel like that...then again, everyone's trying to make money with this stuff, and I don't know if that's necessarily true.

I guess, like a bike shop, it's the personalities that make it or break it, because in any and every case, diving is expensive. Unlike biking, even once you've got all your gear, you still have to pay a boat to take you out (or you can shore dive) and tip the divemaster and all. Air fills are cheap, but it's the destinations and transport that make it expensive.

MD

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i'm PADI open water certified (60 ft nominally) but have been down to 90 or so following after instructors who may or may not have been trying to off me :D . however, like Echo, i haven't been in many years... :( too expensive for me.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MikeD said:
One thing to consider...PADI is a very user-friendly system, very enticing to the aspiring diver, and very well-recognized. I'm a PADI diver, because that's what was offered when I was stuck (heh) on Okinawa and diving was the best way to use my time.

That said, after being in the PADI mill for a few courses, you'll start to feel like a commercial product...everything's dovetailed in to some other way for you to spend more money with them, and it feels a bit scam-y and slick after a while. I've been told that NAUI instruction doesn't necessarily feel like that...then again, everyone's trying to make money with this stuff, and I don't know if that's necessarily true.

I guess, like a bike shop, it's the personalities that make it or break it, because in any and every case, diving is expensive. Unlike biking, even once you've got all your gear, you still have to pay a boat to take you out (or you can shore dive) and tip the divemaster and all. Air fills are cheap, but it's the destinations and transport that make it expensive.

MD
Good point there Mike. From my experience the only thing I've liked about PADI was the convenience of having so many PADI shops around.

SSI was much less commercialized. Hell, when we did our open waters, we were actually diving with one of the guys that (supposedly) founded SSI (He lives outside of Syracuse). Really cool dude, really friendly and eager to share the underwater world.

Picking the right shop is a big thing too. If you pick a bad shop, you'll be in the same problem as picking a bad bike shop. Make sure you check around, see what lines they carry (Scubapro has issues with their dealers carrying other brands of regs sometimes) and how their service is. Talk to other people and see how they like it. Make your decision after you look around and find out how the instructors are and how the shop operates.

Frankly, I can't wait to head to the Caymans in August for 11 days of diving. Capt. Keith Tibbetts, Bloody Bay Wall and Devil's Grotto, here I come!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I'm in So Cal so there's plenty of places to dive and learn around here. Every Sport Chalet it seems has lessons, and there are dive shops everywhere. Time to start looking and talking to some of them.

I would imagine that most of my diving will be locally and from the shore. As far as I know lobster hunting is allowed here, in season of course. The only thing I am leary about are sharks. :eek:

This is great info guys. This all really helps. Soon I shall be in zee briny deep, in zearch of zee wiley and eelusive lobster fish... :D

Oh... when deciding on which cert to get, will I be stuck, unable to dive while on vacation if I get the wrong one? If I get a PADI cert will I be able to use it everywhere, or will I have to recertify with whatever agency/cert body is in the area?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:
This is great info guys. This all really helps. Soon I shall be in zee briny deep, in zearch of zee wiley and eelusive lobster fish... :D

Remind me to tell you about my first night dive. And don't hunt lobster with a hawaiian sling.

Did I mention that my old commanding officer was a dumbass?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Ciaran said:
I'm in So Cal so there's plenty of places to dive and learn around here. Every Sport Chalet it seems has lessons, and there are dive shops everywhere. Time to start looking and talking to some of them.

I would imagine that most of my diving will be locally and from the shore. As far as I know lobster hunting is allowed here, in season of course. The only thing I am leary about are sharks. :eek:

Oh... when deciding on which cert to get, will I be stuck, unable to dive while on vacation if I get the wrong one? If I get a PADI cert will I be able to use it everywhere, or will I have to recertify with whatever agency/cert body is in the area?
Nope, a C-Card is valid worldwide, regardless of issuing institution. For california, the water can tend to be chilly. If I remember correctly, water sucks heat 16x faster than air from your body. You may SERIOUSLY want to look into dry suit training if you want to do a lot of diving. There's nothing better than being dry and warm after your cold water dive.

And sharks generally don't care much for divers (unless they've been fed by a divemaster or something like that). Think about it...you're a neoprene covered thing with metal all over you and bubbles popping out all over. You don't look like prey, and for the most part they will leave you alone. Just don't go play with things like Great Whites, Tigers or Lemons.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
robdamanii said:
You may SERIOUSLY want to look into dry suit training if you want to do a lot of diving. There's nothing better than being dry and warm after your cold water dive.
Cold water + pressure = P.
P is a constant.

Peeing on yourself is a lot less fun in a drysuit. If I was getting one, I'd get one with a catheter valve for sure.

And there's also no way I'd be diving regularly in CA with just a wetsuit, don't get me wrong. Once in a while, OK...but you gotta be comfortable if you're going to have fun.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MikeD said:
Cold water + pressure = P.
P is a constant.

Peeing on yourself is a lot less fun in a drysuit. If I was getting one, I'd get one with a catheter valve for sure.

And there's also no way I'd be diving regularly in CA with just a wetsuit, don't get me wrong. Once in a while, OK...but you gotta be comfortable if you're going to have fun.
For some reason I never have to whiz while underwater. Always once I get back to the boat and strip off the tank and BC.

Good point though. There's options for *ahem* male facility use.

And there's no chance in hell I'd ever dive in sub 70 degree water in a wetsuit. Done it once, HATED it.

BurlyShirley said:
I hope the fark you're joking. If you are joking, it's a bad joke.

If you don't know what you're doing, you can get yourself killed in ten feet of water.

All the courses are way overpriced for the training they convey...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
oh yeah, i second the drysuit recommendation. i picked up one from ebay for $175, and it's served me well (sailing, not diving). :)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Toshi said:
oh yeah, i second the drysuit recommendation. i picked up one from ebay for $175, and it's served me well (sailing, not diving). :)
With a dry suit do you need one of those hard helmet dealies? I have experience with wetsuits from water skiing, snorkeling and such, but I have never looked at a dry suit before.

I think the best thing to do with regards to purchasing a mask would be to try them on, but can I get my fins and booties off of e-bay? Some really good deals on there... and why on earth would people need 200 dollar fins for?! :eek: I am looking at the 15 dollar ones and they look pretty good.

Toshi, how's the diving in the PNW? I'm sure it's very cold, but aside from that is it nice?

I am all excited about this... been wanting to dive for ages, and now it looks like I'll be in the water before summer is over. :thumb:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Ciaran said:
With a dry suit do you need one of those hard helmet dealies? I have experience with wetsuits from water skiing, snorkeling and such, but I have never looked at a dry suit before.

I think the best thing to do with regards to purchasing a mask would be to try them on, but can I get my fins and booties off of e-bay? Some really good deals on there... and why on earth would people need 200 dollar fins for?! :eek: I am looking at the 15 dollar ones and they look pretty good.

Toshi, how's the diving in the PNW? I'm sure it's very cold, but aside from that is it nice?

I am all excited about this... been wanting to dive for ages, and now it looks like I'll be in the water before summer is over. :thumb:
Hrm. A drysuit has a seal around the neck and wrists that is rubber. You can wear a neoprene wet hood to keep your head warm. You can get dry gloves to keep your hands dry as well otherwise you can wear neoprene wet gloves. No need for a helmet unless you're going for commercial diving, really, and you're using a mic of some sort.

As for fins, I use a pair of Scubapro TwinJet fins. Cost 189 bucks, but well worth it. The better fins are a little more pliable and they tend to be much more efficient in the water. Cheap-o fins will wear out quickly and will suck a lot of energy out of you, at least in my experience. As long as you get the correct size though, you can get your fins online. I'd just warn you not to skimp on them, or you may regret it later.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ciaran said:
Dude, I know you want to be Darth Vader and all, but those helmets aren't for SCUBA...they're for commercial divers who are fed air (or whatever mix of gas they're using) from the surface.

There are full-face rigs for divers who need to use radio communication, but even those are really really rare among recreational divers.

Don't worry, though, there's plenty of gear to get your inner gear queer on with. I wouldn't go to EBay...there are good reasons to try things on/out before you buy. Fins are seriously personal, and if a shop lets you try a demo pair out, or rent several before you buy and apply the fee to purchase, it's worth it. There are many styles, and some will be better for you than others. $100 isn't very much for fins...that's like two new tires and a chain, and they'll last you years.

Remember what it was like when you got your first bike? You know how now you'll drop more than you paid for it on a single component...? This is going to be the same way.

That's not to say you can't get good, quality stuff at a good price; it just won't have all the bells and whistles.

MD

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Ciaran said:

PNW has some of the coolest and most dangerous dives in the world. Dry suit not required but highly recommended. Bailey's makes a great one and so does Typhoon. Get ready to shell out ~$2k each for those suits though. My cert was thru NASDS. I think they merged with SSI. Great program though. Make sure you immediately go for the NITROX certification. It is amazing how much better you feel after dives when using 30-40% mix. It's good for hangovers too.

Dove a lot in college and then I dove the tropics and haven't been more than 20 times back in the PNW since.
It's not much fun doing shore dives with 35 lbs of weight plus all that gear. Up here you need very bright lights to see the colors of the life too.
Very expensive. If I bought Microsoft stock with all the money I spent on dive gear, I wouldn't have to work for money now.

If you like spending money, you'll love it.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
johnbryanpeters said:
There's training for use of dry suits too. If you screw up just right you can wind up with feet inflated hanging upside down in the water and rocketing to the surface.

Take the course first, select the gear after. Use rentals for the course.
Do you have to pay extra to get it to do that?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
johnbryanpeters said:
There's training for use of dry suits too. If you screw up just right you can wind up with feet inflated hanging upside down in the water and rocketing to the surface.

Take the course first, select the gear after. Use rentals for the course.
The only possible exception being a mask. If you have an unusually shaped face you may have trouble getting a rental one to seal and an unsealed mask is a pain in the ass.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
DRB said:
of course its waterproof... its duct tape. Duct tape is everything.
No no no no no....

With the deepest respect, KOF, I'm surprised at you, especially as it's Friday and all.

You, of all people, must know that Beer is everything. Therefore duct tape cannot be everything, just almost everything.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
fluff said:
No no no no no....

With the deepest respect, KOF, I'm surprised at you, especially as it's Friday and all.

You, of all people, must know that Beer is everything. Therefore duct tape cannot be everything, just almost everything.
As KOF I proclaim that both duct tape and Beer are everything. As subjects y'all will have to figure out what that means.