Quantcast

Any SCUBA divers out there?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
DRB said:
As KOF I proclaim that both duct tape and Beer are everything. As subjects y'all will have to figure out what that means.
Are you saying that it is possible to live on duct tape alone?

Is your name George by any chance?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I heard duct tape can kick both Ditka and Chuck Norris' asses.

I have nothing to add on the diving front, but I will add that if you fart in a dry suit, absolutely do not burp it by letting the air out the neck gasket. Hot, stale farts in the face = bad.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
robdamanii said:
For some reason I never have to whiz while underwater. Always once I get back to the boat and strip off the tank and BC.

Good point though. There's options for *ahem* male facility use.

And there's no chance in hell I'd ever dive in sub 70 degree water in a wetsuit. Done it once, HATED it.
My roomate is a pretty experienced diver. He did an ice dive a few years agon in a wetsuit! A thick one, but jeez-o-man!

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MikeD said:
Dude, I know you want to be Darth Vader and all, but those helmets aren't for SCUBA...they're for commercial divers who are fed air (or whatever mix of gas they're using) from the surface.

There are full-face rigs for divers who need to use radio communication, but even those are really really rare among recreational divers.

Don't worry, though, there's plenty of gear to get your inner gear queer on with. I wouldn't go to EBay...there are good reasons to try things on/out before you buy. Fins are seriously personal, and if a shop lets you try a demo pair out, or rent several before you buy and apply the fee to purchase, it's worth it. There are many styles, and some will be better for you than others. $100 isn't very much for fins...that's like two new tires and a chain, and they'll last you years.

Remember what it was like when you got your first bike? You know how now you'll drop more than you paid for it on a single component...? This is going to be the same way.

That's not to say you can't get good, quality stuff at a good price; it just won't have all the bells and whistles.

MD
Get one of these:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Enough silliness...

As far as which certification to get? I've got PADI and have never had a problem going diving anywhere. You see the odd european with some weirdo certification card and going through hassles with the dive operator... You don't want to be that guy...

I've only got PADI Open Water certification, but have done plenty of dives deeper than the 30 ft limit that you supposedly have imposed on you with that cerfification. In fact, most dives that I've been on have been 2 tank dives. This is a deep dive (50 to 80 feet) , surface interval, snacks and chat then a shallow dive (30-40 feet).

To my experience, this is a typical dive day. Have I ever been asked for my Advanced Diver Card? Nope. But I have about 50 dives, and don't look like too much of a gumby on the dive boat, so maybe I'm just getting away with something... (live cave diving in Mexico!)

Just go for the open water. It'll be plenty fun to start.

Buy a mask in a store.

Don't bother buying a knife. You always see these Rambo types who are part time Navy Seals in the world of make believe, and put up a fuss when the dive master forbids them to bring them into a marine reserve area... "But what if a shark comes along?!...."
:stupid:

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Da Peach said:
Enough silliness...

As far as which certification to get? I've got PADI and have never had a problem going diving anywhere. You see the odd european with some weirdo certification card and going through hassles with the dive operator... You don't want to be that guy...

I've only got PADI Open Water certification, but have done plenty of dives deeper than the 30 ft limit that you supposedly have imposed on you with that cerfification. In fact, most dives that I've been on have been 2 tank dives. This is a deep dive (50 to 80 feet) , surface interval, snacks and chat then a shallow dive (30-40 feet).

To my experience, this is a typical dive day. Have I ever been asked for my Advanced Diver Card? Nope. But I have about 50 dives, and don't look like too much of a gumby on the dive boat, so maybe I'm just getting away with something... (live cave diving in Mexico!)

Just go for the open water. It'll be plenty fun to start.

Buy a mask in a store.

Don't bother buying a knife. You always see these Rambo types who are part time Navy Seals in the world of make believe, and put up a fuss when the dive master forbids them to bring them into a marine reserve area... "But what if a shark comes along?!...."
I think PADI OW gives you a 60 foot limit max, but I could be wrong.

I DO carry a BC knife on my BC at all times. It's actually come in handy a few times when I've had to do something emergency like underwater (like reattaching the inflator tube to my BC after the zip tie failed, glad I had 2 spares strapped to my BC) and such. Tools are tools, not weapons. The Sea Hunt idiots forget that.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Da Peach said:
Marine reserve areas notwithstanding, a knife can be the difference between life and death if you get snagged on some abandoned fishing tackle, shipwreck, etc. at depth or tangled up in kelp. Get a knife.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Da Peach said:
Well, I do carry a knife, it's very small and it's not to fight off sharks, it's to enable me to cut a line should I or my dive buddy) become entangled in anything in a cave or a wreck. I've yet to need it but I enjoy the peace of mind that comes from having it.

I would agree that you will not need one for the training, the less extraneous kit the better.

I would recommend a spare strap for your fins & goggles (once you are using your own stuff); I've seen people snap straps and have to abandon a dive before it's even started.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
robdamanii said:
Hrm. A drysuit has a seal around the neck and wrists that is rubber. You can wear a neoprene wet hood to keep your head warm. You can get dry gloves to keep your hands dry as well otherwise you can wear neoprene wet gloves. No need for a helmet unless you're going for commercial diving, really, and you're using a mic of some sort.
shouldn't it be clarified that dive drysuits are a little different that a drysuit that you'd wear for a surface water sports? That's why they cost so much - they have release valves to get all the air out. Compare that to the kind you wear sailing or rafting, where you burp the air out. It's the difference between $2K and about $400.

gg

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
geargrrl said:
shouldn't it be clarified that dive drysuits are a little different that a drysuit that you'd wear for a surface water sports? That's why they cost so much - they have release valves to get all the air out. Compare that to the kind you wear sailing or rafting, where you burp the air out. It's the difference between $2K and about $400.

gg
I actually never knew that there were differences between a surface suit and an underwater suit. I never did anything surface sport oriented. :)

Thank you for clarifying.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
DRB said:
Where do you think their loyalities lie?

Ever heard of a mole?
I have ninja moles loyal to me. And they are already in black....being moles and all.... (Of course they don't see so well....so "ninja" is a bit of a sliding scale.... but nevertheless....they will do a serious number on your lawn!!!)

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yes, a knife is a tool. Agreed. I'm sure they come in handy. I don't dive enough to justify it, and it's all been in the Caribbean with good vis and happy times. Never needed a knife, but maybe I'm just charmed that way.

But I'm sure you guys know the type of guy I'm talking about here... Never follow the dive master, go deeper, run out of air early (this never happens to me!...) Don't be that guy either...

So yeah, knives can be handy for sure. But just don't use it to kill things underwater. Or as sports jewelry...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
MMike said:
I have ninja moles loyal to me. And they are already in black....being moles and all.... (Of course they don't see so well....so "ninja" is a bit of a sliding scale.... but nevertheless....they will do a serious number on your lawn!!!)
Those moles are caused by a toxin that the wolverines have been emitting and the garbage man has been putting on the handles of your garbage can.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Da Peach said:
Yes, a knife is a tool. Agreed. I'm sure they come in handy. I don't dive enough to justify it, and it's all been in the Caribbean with good vis and happy times. Never needed a knife, but maybe I'm just charmed that way.

But I'm sure you guys know the type of guy I'm talking about here... Never follow the dive master, go deeper, run out of air early (this never happens to me!...) Don't be that guy either...

So yeah, knives can be handy for sure. But just don't use it to kill things underwater. Or as sports jewelry...

Ahh yeah, I know those kind. When we were in Hawaii, we had 3 kids, age 18-21 that would run out of air in 30 minutes. Average dive depth was around 75 feet, and they'd be back on the boat in 35 minutes max. I came back on the boat last, something like 70 minutes, and with 1200 psi left in a 3K psi tank.

Take it easy, really learn to control your breathing and bouyancy, and you'll really reap benefits.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
MMike said:
Are they ninja star-nosed moles?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
robdamanii said:
I actually never knew that there were differences between a surface suit and an underwater suit. I never did anything surface sport oriented. :)

Thank you for clarifying.
we have lots of "regular" drysuits that we use for whitewater rafting. We got our open water certs (SSI) a couple of years ago on the Hood Canal, in wetsuits. Brr. The regulars there were all wearing custom dive drysuits and got a close look at what makes them different. The main thing is how the air is vented out. Maybe it was BS but we were told in no uncertain terms that our surface drysuits were not suitable for underwater.

gg

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
MMmmm... beeer moat... :drool:

This is great stuff, guys and gals. I've takes your info and ran with it and began doing some research on the net. I am beginning to understand the need for the better fins and such. Mike D put it very well with the bike parts analogy.

Next Q: Does it matter much where I get the cert? I mean, obviously I want to find the best place I can so I can learn the right way but is there going to be a huge difference between say a Sport Chalet, and a local dive shop? Around here Sport Chalet seems to always have some sort of 2 fer 1 special or something like that which makes it much more reasonable for the wife and I to do this together.

Being the fan of bladed weaponry that I am, I have no issues justifying a nice dive knife. :thumb: