Quantcast

Any seat suggestions?

dookiegirl

Chimp
Mar 11, 2005
Washington
Hi everyone! I am new to the NW and I am just getting back into biking since I heard it is great here. I got a new Kona this week and it is the most awesome bike but the seat is really awful. Anyone have some suggestions on some nice seats? Thanks! :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That's a tough one...saddles are a personal preference. I like the ones with a cutout. I have a Selle Italia Trans Am on all my bikes.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
I've had some saddle issues over the past couple of years on my road and XC bikes...saddle sores, pain, and just general discomfort. I finally tried the Fizik Rondine saddle and I LOVE it! I think it's more of a road saddle, but I have one on both my road and XC bikes.

But Heidi is right...it is personal preference. What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Good luck! :)

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I'm no girl, but WTB, Specialized and Terry all make female specific models. They might be worth looking into as well. Good Luck! :)

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
have you "broken yourself back in" to a mtb saddle yet? maybe if you haven't been on a saddle in a minute then you shouldn't buy anything just yet, cause everythings gonna hurt...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The She seat is shorter and wider in the back like she said. Its super comfy even for males. Im surprised they call it the SHE seat.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
i went shopping with the girlfriend last week, and she fell in love with specialized's women specific body geometry saddles.

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
I have the Terry Butterfly on my road bike and my xc bike and I think it's the best seat I've ever had....I'll keep buying them as long as they keep making them.

burnergirl

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
After suffering on Selle San Marcos Juliana for a few years, I tried a Selle Italia Transam (mens saddle) and suffered another year. I then purchased a Selle Italia Ldy (gel flow) womens' specific and have finally found comfort. Not the lightest saddle, but comfort is worth a few extra grams. I use the same kind of saddle on my road and mountain bike. Really, it is all about trial and error and what is good for one may be horrible for another. Good Luck.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I just put a Dolce (I think that's how you spell it) saddle on my bike. It has a cutout and is very comfortable. Give that a try.

Also, what kind of Kona did you buy? I've been looking into buying a new mountain bike and I really love their bikes.

Beth

dookiegirl

Chimp
Mar 11, 2005
Washington
I ended up getting a specialized seat and it is a ton better than the stock one. It isn't as padded but it is much more comfortable. I got a Kona Coiler since I have been mountain biking for about a month and half total and my fiance said it would be a good beginner bike. Plus it is a cool color. :-)

Mar 31, 2005
colorado
definitely the terry firefly! i also have the terry butterfly, but the dragonfly is much nicer & will last longer. not as cushy as the butterfly though...so it depends on the kind of riding you do!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Another vote for specialized. What no one has mentioned is that Specialized dealers have a butt measuring device that acutally measures the width of your seat bones. You sit on this foam, the indentations get measured, and a saddle recommendation is made based on the measurement. So, many of the saddles are not gender specific, but they are designed to support you on your sit bones (skeleton) and not your soft parts. They have at least three different sizes if not more. That is the thing I notice: I feel totally supported by my skeleton. There was zero break in time. I'd highly recommended getting a saddle this way.

geargrrl

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
dookiegirl said:
Hi everyone! I am new to the NW and I am just getting back into biking since I heard it is great here. I got a new Kona this week and it is the most awesome bike but the seat is really awful. Anyone have some suggestions on some nice seats? Thanks! :)
Yeah, Kona's do have awful seats. What kind of Kona do you have? I have a Cinder Cone.

I have a Specialized Woman-specific seat. It's called a Dolce.

traildoctor

Chimp
Jul 27, 2005
geargrrl said:
...Specialized dealers have a butt measuring device that acutally measures the width of your seat bones. You sit on this foam, the indentations get measured, and a saddle recommendation is made based on the measurement...
Very cool! Sounds like a great idea. Otherwise how are you supposed to know if it fits?

I ride a WTB She Beast. It has a channel, but not a full cutout. It now comes in a Ti version, only 230g! (It's about time!) But also cheaper models as well.

I used to like the super old Terry saddles (like from their first or second year), but then they changed their mold and I had to scrounge around for old demo models until there were none left in any of my local shops. I briefly tried the Terry butterfly, etc., but I don't find the ones with the cutouts comfortable. But that's a personal preference.

Good luck!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
yeah, it's the whole trial and error thing that put me off buying a saddle for years. I mean, I know gals who went through 5 and 6 saddles trying this and that. It's pretty funny to walk into your LBS and say, I need my butt measured. But shop guy was great, he said, I'll go get the ass-o-meter.....

geargrrl