Quantcast

Any Silver Mountain info

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Does anyone have any more info about Silver Mountain in Kellogg ID? Are they going to build any FR trails with stunts or just a DH for WIM?

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I rode there for a couple of days Labor Day weekend. The dh was long, fast, and not technical. The top 1/4 of the course had several jumps of varying types: singles, doubles, a jump at the top of a downhill, a road gap, etc. Lots of well made berms for railing. They even utilize the snowboard halfpipe where you get to drop in and out of it 2 or 3 times.

After that you drop into the forest and it is just high speed twisty turny. No drops, no ledges, no stunts. At the bottom you get on a paved bike path and then ride for about 5-10 minutes back to the gondola and take it back up. From the top to the bike path it was taking me about 15 minutes non-stop.

That was it as far as any kind of dh. They are optimistic about building more trails, though, and I would imagine they would put in some trails which are more challenging. I had fun, though, as it suits my riding style and I plan on going back more. But as of last September they pretty much had the one pseudo-dh trail and a couple of xc loop options on the back side of the mountain. Lots of potential, don't know their timeline.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive done a lot of the XC trails on the back. There use to be a trail down the front that was fun but it came out in town and you had to ride through town back to the gondola. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens at SM. I sure hope they get their stuff together because they could make some super long DH trails from the top to the bottom gondola.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I have a feeling we are talking about the same trail (that ends in town...) I agree, it is fun. It's just not a hairy, technical, dh trail. But it's fun!

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I don't know about another Super D. I did hear something about a marathon dh competition where teams compete for the most number of runs in 8 hours and individuals compete for the most number of runs in 6 hours, or something like that. Did you race the Super D last year?