Quantcast

Any social distortion fans?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
sorry dhg, no marx or bolton. but i just spent the last 3 hr searching throguh my archives and ripping cds, so hopefully i'll cull out a few good 'uns and you will dig it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
meh, my views on social d don't need anymore airing.

maybe i'm still bitter because they got the opening slot on the neil young/sonic youth tour instead of a pre-Nevermind nirvana...
I remember that tour when it came to DC and hating that night. neil young/sonic youth were playing the same night rollins was doing a spoken word at dc space. Then the charlatans were playing at the bayou. I was feeling british so I went to see the charlatans. I was in the "I want to see bands I have never seen before" mode.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Yeah, I went last night.
It was sooo great. Like pulling on an old pair of jeans....it just fits.

New guitar guy is a friend of one of my co-workers. I thought he did
a good job. He knows the temporary base dude too (normally plays for RANCID). I didn't get the BSP though....dang!

They played so much old stuff....too cool.

Some dillweed gobbed on Mike in the middle of a song. He stopped cold and just
dressed the SOB down. I thought he was going in to kick the guys ass (the base
guy had is guitar off and was totally ready) and thinking.."Wow, this is cool, I
haven't seen Mike throw down on somone in years." but he just embarrased the
hell out of the guy and had him removed.

I guess we've all gotten older eh?

Speaking of which. Mike's a much bigger guy now that he isn't strung out on
heroin.

They ended the show with "Story of my life" which was pretty cool it kinda ties
together the chronology of the band. This new album was written on the heels of
the old guitar guys death. The previous album was written while Mike was trying
to beat his Heroin addiction. For some reason they often open with that
song...makes more sense as a closer.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
dude... it's bass and the guys name is Matt Freeman...

Usually it's Ness spitting on the crowd not vice versa, otherwise sounds like a typical Social D show, glad you had a good time!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Forgot to mention, such a sad story about Dennis Danell, he died much like Kyle. Dennis had a brain aneurysm completely unexpected. He was one of the OG band members and also a new daddy at the time to two very young kids :(

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Damn True said:
Yeah, I went last night.
It was sooo great. Like pulling on an old pair of jeans....it just fits.

New guitar guy is a friend of one of my co-workers. I thought he did
a good job. He knows the temporary base dude too (normally plays for RANCID). I didn't get the BSP though....dang!

They played so much old stuff....too cool.

Some dillweed gobbed on Mike in the middle of a song. He stopped cold and just
dressed the SOB down. I thought he was going in to kick the guys ass (the base
guy had is guitar off and was totally ready) and thinking.."Wow, this is cool, I
haven't seen Mike throw down on somone in years." but he just embarrased the
hell out of the guy and had him removed.

I guess we've all gotten older eh?

Speaking of which. Mike's a much bigger guy now that he isn't strung out on
heroin.

They ended the show with "Story of my life" which was pretty cool it kinda ties
together the chronology of the band. This new album was written on the heels of
the old guitar guys death. The previous album was written while Mike was trying
to beat his Heroin addiction. For some reason they often open with that
song...makes more sense as a closer.
Wow...deja vu...did you just copy and paste this into the pm you just sent or vice versa! ;)

It was an AWESOME show Monday night...they opened with Mommy's Little Monster...my neck STILL hurts!!!! :thumb:

That is sad about Dennis...just dropped dead in his driveway. Bummer...

D

Dingus McGee

OK, I should be restrained and stay out of it, but, but....aw hell, I knew Mike circa Another State of Mind era...he was a full-on junkie...we went to Denny's in Campbell after a show at SJ State with, uh, I don't remember anyone but the forgettable S.F.band with Mark Dagger (who later became a huge a$$hole S.F. Skinhead)singing called Urban Assault (heh heh now it's means bikes) and he was noddin soooo bad it was embarrassing. Then he pulled the ultimate Denny's junkie move - he ATE sugar packets. Pretty pathetic but we thought it was cool to be hanging with the bigtime OC/FullerTONE guys when we were just Santa Cruz groms. We went to a house party with them after Denny's, wrote an article for a zine and were freindly for a few years after that. Somewhere around 81-82. The guitar player at that time was cool but he later OD'd

cut myself off-what I meant to say, though was it seemed that they started out different but fell into the generic All Things American unoriginal roots-rock ballad band greasers in chopped Mercs and traditional tats. Yawn. I am a bitter old codger, though, so don't pay no mind, clem.