Quantcast

Any status on dhzombie?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Have not heard any thing on him lately. Anybody talked to him or heard from him. Please let us know how he is doing. He is still in our thoughts and prayers.

Dennis

Sep 30, 2004
Arlington VA
Hey Dennis and other concerned monkies,
Bruce had surgery on Dec 12th to fuse the C1 vert.This had to be done since the disc was not healing on it's own.The surgery went very well and he should be able to start rehab soon.He will lose some
lateral head movement,and his vertibrae would not be able to handle a similar impact as well as before,so Bruce will most likely be retiring from DH.He's been off work since the accident in August.He has disability insurance paying him 100% of his normal salary.This spotlights how important this insurance is for all riders.
.........Don

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
Have not heard any thing on him lately. Anybody talked to him or heard from him. Please let us know how he is doing. He is still in our thoughts and prayers.

Dennis
Dennis,

Thanks for checking in on me !!!

As Don stated in his e-mail, I had fusion surgery in December to stabilize the fractured C1 vertebrae to the C2 vertebrae. The initial prognosis from the doctor's had indicated that the fractured vertebrae might be able to fuse back together by immobilizing the head with a cervical collar (not a Halo, aka Frankenstein rig). Unfortunately, this did not happen. In fact, the gap of the fracture (anterior and posterior) had increased. I guess that it was because of the weight of the head bearing down on the vertebrae even with the collar being used since the accident.

The surgery went as well or better than the doctor's had hoped. There had been some talk of possibly fusing the C2 vertebrae directly to the occiput (base of the skull) and completely bypassing the C1 vertebrae. The possibility of this was due to the smaller than 'normal' bone mass on the C1 vertebrae where the anchor screws were to be placed. Happily, this was not the case once they saw the actual vertebrae during the procedure. If this condition were not as discovered, I would have had a futher reduction in my lateral head movement. As it stands, I was informed that the lateral motion of my head would be reduced by approximately 50% and that the vertical movement would have some percentage of reduction (as of yet undetermined).

I REALLY appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers during this ordeal. Judging by the outcome so far, it seems as though those thoughts prayer's are being answered positively.

I will try to stay in contact on a more regular basis in the future. Even if I lose the ability to continue competing, I want to stay in contact with the sport and the wonderful and supportive people who I have come to know over the past couple of years.

THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my heart !!!!!!!!

Bruce Lipski

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Dennis,

Thanks for checking in on me !!!

As Don stated in his e-mail, I had fusion surgery in December to stabilize the fractured C1 vertebrae to the C2 vertebrae. The initial prognosis from the doctor's had indicated that the fractured vertebrae might be able to fuse back together by immobilizing the head with a cervical collar (not a Halo, aka Frankenstein rig). Unfortunately, this did not happen. In fact, the gap of the fracture (anterior and posterior) had increased. I guess that it was because of the weight of the head bearing down on the vertebrae even with the collar being used since the accident.

The surgery went as well or better than the doctor's had hoped. There had been some talk of possibly fusing the C2 vertebrae directly to the occiput (base of the skull) and completely bypassing the C1 vertebrae. The possibility of this was due to the smaller than 'normal' bone mass on the C1 vertebrae where the anchor screws were to be placed. Happily, this was not the case once they saw the actual vertebrae during the procedure. If this condition were not as discovered, I would have had a futher reduction in my lateral head movement. As it stands, I was informed that the lateral motion of my head would be reduced by approximately 50% and that the vertical movement would have some percentage of reduction (as of yet undetermined).

I REALLY appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers during this ordeal. Judging by the outcome so far, it seems as though those thoughts prayer's are being answered positively.

I will try to stay in contact on a more regular basis in the future. Even if I lose the ability to continue competing, I want to stay in contact with the sport and the wonderful and supportive people who I have come to know over the past couple of years.

THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my heart !!!!!!!!

Bruce Lipski

Good to hear you are doing better. It is never good to see one of your brother riders go down. Hope to see you cheering from the sidelines next year.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
good to hear. Hope the recovery goes quickly and smothly. We are going to miss you next season!!

Rick
Rick,

Thanks for the well wishes !!

I was really hoping to have some good racing with you and all of the 'Over the Hill Gang' next year. I'll try to make it to some of the close races to cheer you all on (insert vision of a 48 year old with hairy leg's in a pleated skirt with pom-pom's yelling some goofy rhyme. ARRRGGHHHHHHH !) and help in any way I can.

Damn..... injuries sure do suck !!!!!!!!!

See you soon,

Bruce

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Rick,

(insert vision of a 48 year old with hairy leg's in a pleated skirt with pom-pom's yelling some goofy rhyme. ARRRGGHHHHHHH !)

Ya know, until that sentence I was really hoping you'd come out and support us too, but...... not I'm thinking you should probably stay home and rest!

Glad you are doing better, now all I have to say is HEAL UP QUICKER DAMNIT!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Rick,

Thanks for the well wishes !!

I was really hoping to have some good racing with you and all of the 'Over the Hill Gang' next year. I'll try to make it to some of the close races to cheer you all on (insert vision of a 48 year old with hairy leg's in a pleated skirt with pom-pom's yelling some goofy rhyme. ARRRGGHHHHHHH !) and help in any way I can.

Damn..... injuries sure do suck !!!!!!!!!

See you soon,

Bruce
Glad to here this are going well, considering the situation. I called a couple weeks back and left a message. My wife, the kids and I are prayin for ya, and definitely sending good vibes your way.

if you have any questions you need answered quick, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my number...Sandy's is a Physical therapist Manager at a facility down this way....

Heal well Bro!

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
Glad to here this are going well, considering the situation. I called a couple weeks back and left a message. My wife, the kids and I are prayin for ya, and definitely sending good vibes your way.

if you have any questions you need answered quick, shoot me a PM and I'll send you my number...Sandy's is a Physical therapist Manager at a facility down this way....

Heal well Bro!
THANKS !!!!!!

You must have called when I was in the hospital having surgery. My father was here, but he wasn't answering the phone. He was letting the voice mail pick up. Sorry I missed your call.

I will be coming to the Massanutten event (if they have one) as a spectator. I hope to see everyone there and show off my new scar !
Chicks dig scars........right ? Kinda looks like a zipper goin' up the back of my neck. REAL COOL !:brows:

See y'all soon,

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
:picsstfu: ? Just kidding.
Ya know, I already tried to take a photo myself. Flash went off on the digital camera and completely washed the photo out. :imstupid: My camera really sucks !!!!

Next time I get someone visiting over here at the house, I PROMISE that I'll take a photo and if it's any good I'll post it !

To Be Continued..........................................