Quantcast

Any suggestions for DH tube usage on trail bike

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I found out last week the hard way that the rear wheel on my trail bike has a very tall profile rim. It's a Cane Creek Duros but I use DH tubes, SCHRAEDER valves. They don't extend far enough through the rim for the pump to get a good bite on the valve stem.

I sat there pumping the tire about a half psi per minute. Luckily it was a DH tube, so I was able to roll out for the last few miles on 10 PSI. But now I've got easily a dozen or more trail and DH tubes that I might not be able to use on this rear wheel. Buying a real wheel isn't an option.

Any creative or overlooked solutions?

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
A pump with a thread-on chuck - like Lezyne uses. All you need is the threaded part of the valve stem coming through the rim.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Schwalbe tubes have a threaded stem and collar like a Presta valve. They are also available in a variety of thicknesses.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
don't they make screw-on valve extenders for those deep-section road wheels? I haven't seen them, but my understanding is you unscrew the valve core, and then screw on the extender... and voilà, a few extra " of valve stem.