Quantcast

any team rumours nonsense this year

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Personally, I'm dissapointed to see Yeti turn away from DH. I think they've been such a great team, developing such awesome talent over the years. I also think that being out of the DH limelight will hurt their sales of trail bikes in the long run because DH is where the eyeballs are, and it drives brand awareness. But that's not based on any research or numbers, just a hunch.
Yep. But this was probably a situation for Yeti where they had to pick a either/or, being a smaller company with a more limited budget. It may take a couple of years before they even see if it was the right decision or not. I am sure if they had mad loot to throw around, they would love to be on WC DH circuit because you and Butch are right, it does draw eyes and brand promotion, plus it is just awesome in general.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Well, I may be an idiot, but I thought Enduro was mountain biking. You ride up hills and down hills, you hit some jumps etc. I'm not sure why you would need to sponsor a team in order to sell bikes designed to do that..those are the kind of bikes that the majority of the serious off road market is looking for.

That being said, I can't imagine wanting to watch that. Certainly not getting up early to watch it on Redbull TV etc. It's just not that exciting and it doesn't compare to the energy of a WC DH. If its at a local mountain, sure I may check it out but that is about it. I actually like Butch's analogy of enduro and Moto/supercross and think that he is right..supercross gets people interested in the brand not necessarily the model.

As far as what Richie wants..I guess history will tell the tale and weather or not he sticks with Yeti and Enduro will truly indicate where his heart is at.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
This is what I was thinking too. I tried to watch some of the footage from one of the big stage races and it was super boring nothing close to watching DH. Personally I am not into racing maybe that plays a role too.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Are you being for real? That is all that's selling. DH bikes sure aren't. If you don't believe me, talk to somebody we both respect, Dave Turner, about it. He will tell you first hand.
..... But this is what happens when thousands of pudgy middle aged men on MTBR control the MTB market. They want enderpo bikes with insignificantly slightly bigger wheels and they want them now and they are not buying anything else!

Except for the mtbr part, and the wheels part.

I get a hell of a lot more use out of my "enduro" bike than my DH bike. Good thing, because it was twice the price.

Shuttles?

My "enduro" bike can handle damn near anything my DH bike can, so I get why Yeti might think it's a shrewd move to capitilise on the hype. Given the choice, most pudgy old folk will get a long travel "enduro" bike that is waaaaay more useful than a DH bike. Unless they're uber ballers that can afford both.

Damn you 1%.

Enduro is for the people, man.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I tend to agree that results in DH should translate to trail bike sales. But when was the last time a Yeti rider was consistently getting on the elite WC podium, let alone winning? I really can't remember. They've been dropping buckets of money on the WC program for years - have they been getting results? And given the current crop, is it reasonable to expect consistent high-profile results in the near future?

Also, what is the relative cost of a DH team vs. an enduro team?

As much as I like seeing live racing, I will probably never watch enduro race coverage. I just don't think I can endure it. :D

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I've had the same dh bike for 5 years, but I've had 3 pedally rigs in that same time.
i've had the same dh sled since 2007, and at the rate it gets used now (~5 whistler days a year) it'll last indefinitely (geo is still in the ballpark; no reason to want for anything else). more of a novelty than anything now. most people i know are similarly neglecting or jettisoning their big bikes. it's an interesting, but not surprising, market shift.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
i've had the same dh sled since 2007, and at the rate it gets used now (~5 whistler days a year) it'll last indefinitely (geo is still in the ballpark; no reason to want for anything else). more of a novelty than anything now. most people i know are similarly neglecting or jettisoning their big bikes. it's an interesting, but not surprising, market shift.

Same here.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
While I certainly understand the preference to invest in a bike you ride (much) more frequently, I will say I enjoy legit DH riding more than any other riding "discipline". And not even John P and his filthy skunk ape cronies can convince me otherwise :thumb:

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I am 48 yrs old and set in my ways. I hear you on the enduro thing but I love Dhing. I hit Platty around 20xs a year and Creek about 6-8Xs. I've purchased 3 bikes in 4 years 2 of which are DH bikes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My "enduro" bike can handle damn near anything my DH bike can,

That just means you're using the dh bike incorrectly :D

Are you being for real? That is all that's selling. ......yada yada yada
Jeremy, what are you doing? This is butch here. This is how you handle this.

Butch, enduro riding is becoming the new hotness due to several reasons.

One is CLOTHES: Have you seen those colors!? Man those kits really stand out and present a bold persona. Some of the complex matching between socks and jersey highlights are to die for! You can now coordinate your helmet, grips, sadle rails and pedal pins in a subtle but stylish way like our sport has never seen!

The other is Characters: Did you hear the gossip about Barel!? OMG he totally got shuttled in Whistler this past summer and Minnaar was like "WTF, smoke some cigarettes and take the climb you frenchie!. @peaty you see that? LOLZOR"

The third is shiny things: Have you noticed the rear shock selection rivals where DH suspension was before? Fox Shox have GOLD on them now (see first point). Those matching hadley hubs work on that 6 incher too. You can now spend more on an enduro bike than you could on ANY dh bike 4 years ago. You think you understand trail bikes? Well you're going to have own at least 12 of the 37 trail bikes santa cruz now makes. Which way is the wind blowing? Doesn't matter because you can have 70 grand sunk into one brand with a slew of bikes that only differ by a cunt hair of travel from one another but all suit an entirely different purpose. If you can't afford them, that's your spot on top that hill that you must strive for. And trust me on this, custom painted enduro helmets are just around the corner. You're stoked!

See Jeremy.........I shouldn't have to tell you this.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wait, the "C" word doesn't get the asterisks treatment? Is this a special kidwoo allowance? I'm being oppressed if so.

Ok, here goes:

The former first lady of VA is a cu...cunnn...<deep breath> cunt.

edit -

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
That just means you're using the dh bike incorrectly :D
Well, that's probably true. But I also refuse to pedal my 40+ lb DH bike up anything.

I'm too pudgy and that shiz ain't fun.

Imma gonna keep my DH bike, hacking around at Whistler requires it, but it's all aboot the saddle time. And the colour of the rails.

Besides , enduro bikes are moar fun when your dropper post works. You're just bitter.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Funny woo should mention how much they cost. Just browsed the Buy/Sell for my area on Pinkbike and saw a half dozen carbon trail bikes that cost more than my first 5 DH bikes ever did.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Please keep it up guys. This thread has gone moar full retard than anything in recent memory and shows no sign of letting up.

I'm not sure how else to explain this to you guys, but HE DOES NOT WANT TO. We told him about our idea to focus primarily on enduro, and he was super excited about it. Is it so hard to believe that a young guy who's spent years focussing on one niche of riding and achieved the goal he'd been chasing could be a little burned out and reinvigorated at the thought of conquering another challenge?
i would think that for most aspiring WC racers, their goals didn't end at winning Jr Worlds...
Usually, they continue to desire winning elite men Worlds, WC DH series championship, and so forth.

I do wish Man-Child best of luck in his endeavors and Yeti as well. Aside from the Big Guns like Trek and Special Ed, it was refreshing to see a fully supported Yeti DH team on the circuit.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
lol wut? if there's something he's lacking, it's not endurance.
This is a legitimate call, look at the build of Clementz,Barel and even graves.their half the width of Rude and a solid 10kg lighter. Do u not think this would be a disadvantage to Rude in enduro, even more so at altitude.

Best of luck to him anyway, hopefully he comes to his senses and goes back to DH

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is a legitimate call, look at the build of Clementz,Barel and even graves.their half the width of Rude and a solid 10kg lighter. Do u not think this would be a disadvantage to Rude in enduro, even more so at altitude.

Best of luck to him anyway, hopefully he comes to his senses and goes back to DH
i wouldn't question richie's abilities. he might go all incredible hulk on you :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So is Aaron Gwinn gonna get it together this year or what?

Perhaps dip his toes into the enduro pool? (Aka: where all the action is)

Owennn

Monkey
Mar 10, 2009
So is Aaron Gwinn gonna get it together this year or what?

Perhaps dip his toes into the enduro pool? (Aka: where all the action is)
Going by his results from last season Enduro is exactly where he should be, with the rest of the washed-up DHers.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Going by his results from last season Enduro is exactly where he should be, with the rest of the washed-up DHers.
Agreed. Steve peat should have left the sport after one bad year years ago, dude was done years ago.