Quantcast

any team rumours nonsense this year

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I like Cam Cole a lot. His attitude and his style. But how many different bikes has he been on in the past 5 years? Wasn't he on a Rocky the year he came in second at Fort Bill (with that massive whip coming into the finish arena)? then Lapierre, then Yeti, now Commençal? Here's hoping for some stability for him, and wicked results too.
i'm waiting for him to get back on a lahar. all kiwi = formula for great success.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Where do they get their capital? Are the funded by the government?
I think Andorra is a tax haven. They probably are self-funded if much of their profits aren't taxed...

edited to add: they also have a pretty strong list of sponsors. I'm sure Cam Cole must bring a lot of extra visibility to the team, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to think that most sponsors would be willing to kick in a bit of extra coin to have Cam representin' their brand...

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
to be fair to the lad, he's had some nasty injuries and the Yeti DH team dissolved so its hardly poor team dynamic or results that have stopped him succeeding.

I'm hoping for good things from the Big Horse

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
didn't he state somewhere that he was off spec' and going back to wrench on hills bike?

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I like Cam Cole a lot. His attitude and his style. But how many different bikes has he been on in the past 5 years? Wasn't he on a Rocky the year he came in second at Fort Bill (with that massive whip coming into the finish arena)? then Lapierre, then Yeti, now Commençal? Here's hoping for some stability for him, and wicked results too.
Oh.. well.. each to his own. TBH I find him incredibly dull with a kinda awkward looking stance on the bike for a Pro rather than particularly stylish compared to most of the better known guys on the circuit. No doubt he has a good attitude but without results one decent whip 4 years ago on a jump pretty much every WCer hits whipped out at some point in the week is never going to be enough to create a marketable image for himself..
He could do worse than learn image limitation lessons from Peaty (another awkward looking rider IMO) and maybe hold down a sponsor for more than a season, even though Steve comes from an era where all mountainbikers looked like dorks he knows he'd be nowhere today without the beerdrinking, baseball hat wearing partyboy image he created back in the '90s, infact, if he hadn't started wearing that hat 24/7 from the very first day he noticed his hair folicle problem in Vidal Sasoons "that ok. Sir" mirror all those years back he probably wouldn't have been responsible for half as many bike sales he has, even with his amazing career results .. lets not forget DH $s is ALL about image, not even monobrowed French kids want to buy a bike promoted by a guy who looks like the "before" pics in a hair loss treatment advert.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh.. well.. each to his own. TBH I find him incredibly dull with a kinda awkward looking stance on the bike for a Pro rather than particularly stylish compared to most of the better known guys on the circuit. No doubt he has a good attitude but without results one decent whip 4 years ago on a jump pretty much every WCer hits whipped out at some point in the week is never going to be enough to create a marketable image for himself..
He could do worse than learn image limitation lessons from Peaty (another awkward looking rider IMO) and maybe hold down a sponsor for more than a season, even though Steve comes from an era where all mountainbikers looked like dorks he knows he'd be nowhere today without the beerdrinking, baseball hat wearing partyboy image he created back in the '90s, infact, if he hadn't started wearing that hat 24/7 from the very first day he noticed his hair folicle problem in Vidal Sasoons "that ok. Sir" mirror all those years back he probably wouldn't have been responsible for half as many bike sales he has, even with his amazing career results .. lets not forget DH $s is ALL about image, not even monobrowed French kids want to buy a bike promoted by a guy who looks like the "before" pics in a hair loss treatment advert.
Was it beer o'clock in England when you posted?!!! :D :cheers:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So to translate, Cam has jumped around to different teams because he doesn't throw enough on-course whips and is boring to watch. Peat's iconic status is almost entirely explained by his penchant for wearing a hat due to hair loss. Well sh!t, all this time I thought it had more to do with consistently strong results and being a good lad off the course.

Guess I need to dig out my old Marzocchi baseball cap.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
So to translate, Cam has jumped around to different teams because he doesn't throw enough on-course whips and is boring to watch. Peat's iconic status is almost entirely explained by his penchant for wearing a hat due to hair loss. Well sh!t, all this time I thought it had more to do with consistently strong results and being a good lad off the course.

Guess I need to dig out my old Marzocchi baseball cap.
Thanks for the Cliff's Notes! I got into that first sentence and my brain hurt. I knew there was more funny in there but I just couldn't bring myself to slog through it.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
is CK still a privateer this year, he should land a spot on a legit WC team.
Really? Big Kovarik fan here but I think he's had his run. AFAIK, he's pretty busy doing his coaching clinics and doing the odd race here and there.

Companies should really be putting money into juniors coming through the ranks. Older pros can always switch over to trenduro if they still want to get the cash moneys for riding.

Last edited:

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
CK and Rennie on team qranc 'was' awesome.

sam hill and jared graves and bryn atkinson, rennie, were team mates on the first mad catz/ IH.

will there be a carbon giant glory, m9 this WC season?

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Hyper dropped their MTB efforts me thinks...:think:
Wasn't there an interview with Carter 3 months back where he speaks about his long time contract with Hyper?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Cams move to YT makes more sense now
Am I the only one who thinks he makes the worst frame sponsor choices possible? Felt for a freeride rider (not to mention they supposedly screwed him over) then Corsair and Hyper? Maybe people think about the wrong Cam when they say Cole should ride for Lahar.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Wonder if BCVan will continue posting now... Congrats man, I for one am looking forward to what you can bring to the team. Change is good!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Corsair was a good choice, just a shame that the bikes build quality didn't live up to the hype. Hyper was always going to be a gamble but again, sounds like the sponsor made promises that just weren't kept.

YT have a range of bikes appropriate for Cam and they have stood by Andreu for a few years - no reason why they'd treat Zink differently.

I hope Carter working with Gwin and Mitch helps them improve on last years results

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Good for EC and hopefully good for the team. Funny though, remember the scandal that occurred when he took out Ropelato in a 4X, a few years ago, to "teach him a lesson"? Mitch better stay on his toes this season!

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
i was told its a 170/160mm travel bike.. why would someone put a lowered boxxer on it?? additional stiffness?
That's a safe assumption. There are still gnar sections on the PMB track, but the majority is more mellow than the average WC track. Big wheels and short travel for the mellow stuff, but still keeping the chassis stiff enough to handle the gnar sections.