Quantcast

Any thoughts on FOES Racing DH bikes?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Zutroy said:
Actually as stated above the Curnett really won't bottom, even if you run it way undersprung.

The Mono is a great race bike. It's your basic run crap over setup, it's got a riding style all it's own, but once you get the hang of it, it's just asn nimble as most bike out there. They're pretty strong, the price got dropped to a reasonable price this year so it's a much better deal than in the past.
ahhh i didnt know that. heh, you learn something new everyday

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Chunky Munkey said:
Zutroy,

Mono, run over crap bike... Which one? DH Mono or DH 2:1 Mono?

Lovebunny, nice pics link. Love the tabletop crossup, sweet!

Both, the Mono is one of those bikes like the V-10 that you kinda just lean back and plow through things, not much input from the rider needed.

If your not racing i would disregard the Chumba, it's even more of a pure race bike than the mono.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Foes aren't bad bikes at all. They have their issues like most any other bicycle company (some are better than others I'll admit) but the Mono is a good frameset. You don't see many with linkage issues or frames cracked/broke in half. The shock is a "opinion" shock. Some love it/hate it. But other than that it's a pretty solid foundation for a bike build.

As far as hucking a mono it's been done. Racing it's been done. It's been around long enough now that most any type of aggressive riding had been done on it. So.......you can pretty much do whatever you wanted with it and be fine.

I know that the 2:1 Mono is suspose to be the latest and greatest thing. I have yet to see many around but they are still new and are more costly than others out there. Mono's you can find used if you wanted to save some $$$ and like said above the price has dropped compared to other years for the mono.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The 2:1 DHS isnt bad at $3000 considering what comes with it. From what I have heard the 2:1 hasnt shipped out yet.

BTW I love my Fly. I just didnt like the Curnutt. Thats why I run an Avalanche. I just couldnt get use to the Curnutt. It was great for pedaling but it really sucked on the small bumps. It was also great for drops. Im going to try the Curnutt again this week and see how it compares to the Avalanche but I dont it will even come close.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Saying the Foes Mono's are pure racebreed, and can't be used for freeride or hucking is just stupid. Wonder what those guys where doing with Mono's on the Red Bull Rampage then....

And the Curnutt is up there when it comes to tech. It IS the tech, and owns the patents that loads of other brands are paying to use both on motorcycles and mtb's.

Yes, you do sign up to buying some special parts from one specific vendor. BUT, it's not all the spareparts. For example, the MRP chainguideparts are not vendor specific - just the frame that holds them. So wheels, bearings and whatever can be bought from wherever.

The Foes fork is special, yup. And I agree it's not worth it. It has to be tuned exactly for each day - 'cause just temperaturechanges and different types of ridingconditions will change it's handling more than with a regulare fork.

Example from the previous Foes fork was when I hit a rock garden and leaned back on the bike. With to little pressure on the handlebars, the fork never moved - and just transfered the beating straight into my arms. This is ofcourse from lack of tuning, but it worked so well on everything else - so I never thought I had to tune it more.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
I figured I would hear plus and minus to all bikes but no one really addressed the issue as to the Foes in terms of the Intense M3. I will be riding this bike UP hill in order to enjoy the downhill. Currently I'm lugging a 36 pounder up hill and love it. Yeh people kick my butt uphill, but I aways catch 'em on the down. So I don't mind and wouldn't mind an extra ten pounds. I'm not taking a lift up where I ride...

My curiosity is how does the Foes compare to the M3. Would I be better off with an M3. The Foes "appeared" to look lighter the way it's set up in the photo which I like but the FORK looks like every jump I'd go over I'll be leaning back to balance the load. It looks REALLY serious BUT, it looks major heavy.

I'm thinking M3 or Foes DH mono/2:1 Mono, with a Manitou Intrinsic dual crown up front. I take it you can't put a different shock into a Foes so I'm stuck with the Curnette. That's not a good selling point to me but if it's a good shock I wouldn't mind.

My curiosity is, M3 or Foes? That's why I started the link to get input on the Foes as to if it is as nice as the M3 appears to be. I have yet to hear a complaint on the M3. Although I have received some very good input on the Foes, no one has really made a comparison as to whether one is better than the other for certain types of riding or reasons.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Chunky Munkey said:
My curiosity is, M3 or Foes? That's why I started the link to get input on the Foes as to if it is as nice as the M3 appears to be. I have yet to hear a complaint on the M3. No one has really made a comparison on the two.
Well the Foes 2:1 is in it's first year, same with Intense's M3. So take that for whatever it's worth. Both are built by decent companies but there's always going to be little touches that get fixed.

I don't think the Foes 2:1 is out yet, though it is probably close to release.

There's not much to compare. They are both racing framesets. One is a single pivot, the other is VPP. One uses a shock/spring combo that probably only Foes uses (dual Ti springs), while the M3 uses more conventional springs/shocks. One has 160mm rear and the other 150mm (or 135mm) dropout options. The Foes I think you must use their chainguide (well they sell a specific MRP) and the M3 you're pretty open to choices. Both are made in the U.S.A. Since one isn't out yet it's hard to compare anything but pictures and internet specs.

There's nothing wrong with either one. The Foes will cost a bit more than the Intense (seems like they have always). The Foes fram is somewhere up around $3385 (go.ride.com prices) retail and a M3 is around $2700 for the frame. It just depends on how much you want to spend at that point. They are some of the higher end frame's out there (price wise).

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Neither bike will be fun riding uphill. You would be better off getting the Fly or VPX.

You can put a Avalanche on the Mono but not the 2:1.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Kanter said:
You can put a Avalanche on the Mono but not the 2:1.
True but it's either an Avy OR the Curnutt. I thought in years past you could get a Romic but at this point with shock technology I don't think it matters much.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Number One rule to mountain bikes....don't listen to what people tell you on the internet.

Everyone is built differently and have different riding styles and abilities. So to recommed one bike over another is crazy.

I've ridden about 8 DH bikes and of those the M1 and the Foes Mono were the only ones that I've ridden wehre I felt instantly faster. But then again i'm 6'4" and 230lbs.

Ride as many bikes as possible and make your decision ONLY after you find that one bike...or else you'll be one of those guys that go through a different DH rig every season trying to find that one rig.

Dog Welder said:
Number One rule to mountain bikes....don't listen to what people tell you on the internet.
Oh so true. Peoples opinions on DH bikes are generally a rather large waste of time.

You really do need to ride your choices. Why spend that sort of money on something you haven't ridden? Sounds crazy to me!

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Spunger said:
True but it's either an Avy OR the Curnutt. I thought in years past you could get a Romic but at this point with shock technology I don't think it matters much.
Romic will still make one for the mono for a $30. upcharge. Some guy on EBAY has fox rc's on occasion for cheap. Thats where I got My backup, which I think I'll have PUSHed,

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
ViciousDHer said:
Romic will still make one for the mono for a $30. upcharge. Some guy on EBAY has fox rc's on occasion for cheap. Thats where I got My backup, which I think I'll have PUSHed,
are you sure?

the newer monos (04 onwards) have an even longer shock. The newer ones mount straight into the swingarm, there are no tabs welded onto the swingarm like the older ones.
my spare RC would it my newer mono.

Feb 3, 2002
aus
ive never ridden any bike that compares to my mono and ive had my fair share, it tracks so well and the back end is perfect.
cant wait to race my 2:1 at sugar mountain

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Both bikes you've mentioned are mushey DH sleds that are so much in their element going down. Sure we all live for the down but it's not much fun if your exhausted from going up. I'd get yourself something more pactical like mentioned by someone earlier,VP-free,fly etc.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Banga said:
are you sure?

the newer monos (04 onwards) have an even longer shock. The newer ones mount straight into the swingarm, there are no tabs welded onto the swingarm like the older ones.
my spare RC would it my newer mono.
according to Go-ride, Romic will make one.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Transcend said:
Do not buy a bike based on it's looks (or forum users suggestions for that matter). .
This advice is the best thing you are gonna get out of this thread.
As a matter of fact, we should make this advice a sticky up top.
We can make a list of things to warn new DHers about.
Like when someone says: My new Boxxer Team feels great right out of the box!
Or: I have never ridden product A or B, but you should get A for sure.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Yeh I am getting the idea that maybe a Fly would be something more in what I will be using it for. If I could do a stiff kit on a fork, and get the rear shock to be stiff until it really needs to break lose and suck it up, that would be more my kind of ride. The M3 I think as well as the Mono might be too much bike to lug up hill all the time. But coming down would be so nice. I just more or less want longer travel up front and back. At least seven or more. Thanks for the input all.

Jan 29, 2005
Chunky Munkey said:
I may be wrong but it looks like it 's no where near the Manitou or Fox in technology and adjustability
you are wrong

Curnett shocks are spec'd only on foes bikes, they are very very very good, especially the 2:1 Currnett shock. I'd wholeheartedly recomend the 2:1 for DH because of the extremely low leverage ratio. Smoooth

ChumbaJason

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
WWW.CHUMBARACING.COM :lighten::lighten:

The Foes floater is one of the best on the market. So design flaws shouldn't be an issue.

As for the Curnutt bottom out issue, if you can bottom it you you shouldn't be allowed to set up your own suspension. Curnutts are designed to come close to bottom out but never actually bottom.

The Foes specific parts aren't too bad, the shocks don't really have issues, so you won't be looking for an upgrade, and if it does need a rebuild it is cheaper than Fox/ Manitou/ or Regressive. They are less adjustable because unlike the other manufacturers they are not one size fits all. They are custom built for each frame, and valved for each rider. The other shocks, may or may not be valved for a specific frame, but are not valved for weight/ riding style, so they have to be really adjustable so everyone can make them work. Most people get the shock dialed and never touch the nobs anyway. The chainguide is proprietary, but you know it will work with the frame out of the box, without any goofy adapters, can't say as much about the M3

Foes customer service is slow, but not crappy. They are a really small company, in fact Brent Foes still hand welds most of the frames. If you call after hours, he will usually pick up the phone. How many owners of other companies will talk to the public, ever?

Both Foes and Intense have a great racing history, both have won an equal number of titles. But the M3 and the DHS are two entirley different animals, while built for the same basic thing, they couldn't be much more different. So because you don't seem to have any experiance with either, your best option is to ride them both and ride evry other DH frame you can get your hands on. Then decide, and forget about what the frame looks like, because no matter how bad-ass it looks if you aren't comfortable you won't be fast, and then your just a wanker on a nice bike.