Quantcast

Any thoughts on Marzhocchis' integrated stem for Shivers

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
Are any of you using Marzocchi's integrated stem on your Shiver?

What are your thoughts on this setup. I'll be using it on a Bullit if anyone wants to know. Scuba Yellow!!!!!!!!! :D

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The only peace of mind thing if you're pickey is that the stem will always be inline with the tire.

Otherwise it's a stem. It gives a fairly low stack height, probably is competitive in weight compared to other stems, and can accept normal and oversized bars. I think all in all it is a good stem choice.

Why spend another $50 on a stem if you don't have to? My shiver came with a zero length stem and the regular 55-65mm stem.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I currently use the Shiver stem on my Tomac 204 and had it before on my Bullit. Well, my Bullit was white so I don't know if it will work for you :-)D ) but it was good for me. I did notice the extra length over a 50mm a little bit (could have been my imagination) but it did its job and was simpler than using a stem.

The only drawbacks I have found: goofy red spacer. I didn't want to cut my steerer tube again so I have to use a bunch of spacers and the space between the stem is a bit tight so spacers need to be crammed in. For some reason, the bolts on the bar clamp need to be really tight. They have loosened on my a bit before and the bar slipped when I landed a drop, almost causing disaster. Probably something I did wrong but I always make sure the bolts are really tight.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
It works well with my red bike. The colors just look FABULOUS!
It is also much stiffer than my previous RF stem, lower, a little longer. IMHO, it just makes the bike fit better. It also makes the bike look cool because of how it sweeps down.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Repack
It works well with my red bike. The colors just look FABULOUS!
It is also much stiffer than my previous RF stem, lower, a little longer. IMHO, it just makes the bike fit better. It also makes the bike look cool because of how it sweeps down.
it's totally moto :D

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
The stem has two lengths: 55mm & 65mm, or so I've been told (I do use one, I've just never measured it. I could walk downstairs, but....)
Anyway, I figure the lower stack height is a good thing because the Axle-crown height of Marzocchi's tends to be high on their DC forks. The integrated stem solves this problem.
The stem weighs in at 255g which is ligher than almost any DH worthy stem out there (FSA FR190 excepted) since most come in at 300+g.
The only drawback is that you have to make sure the bolts are tight, but if you do that once, then you shouldn't have any problems down the line.
I think the best two things about it are the length adjustability if you are unsure what you want, you don't have to buy a new stem, and you can run either diameter of bar in case you break one and get a new one, or just decide to get a new gold Protaper because your bike is yellow.
Oh, and if you decide that the stack height is too low, just get the spacers for the stem. They sell them on Universal Cycles.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
I just put one on my Bullit about 3 weeks ago. I didn't know that there were 2 sets of mounting holes for the stem to the crown.......the stem was already attaached when the fork arrrived.

I like it so far. Had to adjust to running a shorter stem than usual. Steering is percise and the whole assembly seems stiff.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by mtnbikej

I like it so far. Had to adjust to running a shorter stem than usual. Steering is percise and the whole assembly seems stiff.

It looks like you have it on the shorter setting. You have prob already figured that out though. I've been running mine long. B/c of the crown + axle offset, your bars will be almost directly above the axle on the long setting.