Quantcast

any tips for drops to flat?

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
Due to circumstances I can't ride the dirt anymore so I'm turning back to street.. Kick-seek-wise it didn't really do it for me, until I started doing drops, stairgaps, ... Nothing huge, highest I did was about 1.5 meter.
Now I'm having tons of fun and adrenaline rushes, but it also feels like that if I keep doing this for a year or longer I'm goin to wreck my bike, knees and wrists. I ride a rigid 24" btw.
So any tips to keep the damage low? No suspension answers please ;P I'm mainly having trouble figuring out the best way to land, it's kinda weird: If I land both wheels at the same time it just feels ok, while if I land on the rear wheel first I have trouble absorbing the shock properly and it feels really skecthy.

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
I don't ride rigid, but, I can say that you need to use your knees to absorb the impact. When you hit, let your butt drop and your knees come up, it will help somewhat.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Go faster. I don't know if your trying to do trials style pedal kick things, if so, speed won't be what you want. but if your just jumping down stairs/drops, speed will help spread out the impact.

also, start small untill you learn a technique that works for you.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Just avoid dropping to flat. It was cool for a few years, but trust me even with a suspension fork it will catch up to your joints. Dropping to flat is not only bad for your bike, but also bad for your knees and elbows. By drops to flat I assume you mean bigger things. The furthest I would go up is maybe 4 feet, anything after that is iffy. I usually 180 to flat off of 3foot ish ledges. There are usually other things that are more fun to do than hucking off of big walls to flat. Find a bank or something. If all else fails and you simply must ride big drops to flat, put your butt over or behind the rear axle, and let your arms act as levers for your body weight, and your knees act as the shock absorbers. Allow your knees to bend in a way that slows down your bodies movement.

Is street your only option? No skateparks?

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Im gonna exploit others hard work and post a video someone else made and posted on the internet, for the sake of blog conversation: Colt Fake- lots of "drops" to flat... rear wheel first

Last edited:

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
put your butt over or behind the rear axle, and let your arms act as levers for your body weight
kinda like a manual? will try.
there's only one park in the neighourhood and the only chance an 'old' guy like me gets to have a quiet ride there is early morning, late evening or very bad weather. Else it's way too crowded for my likings..

Go faster
yeah I already noticed that the faster I go, the better it works + it also gives me less time to hesitate which is a Good thing.

****. that was inspiring yet frightening at the same time. the man must have elephant's balls.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Im gonna exploit others hard work and post a video someone else made and posted on the internet, for the sake of blog conversation: Colt Fake- lots of "drops" to flat... rear wheel first

damn ! that style of street reminds me of the dave young part in nowhere fast (1999).

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Check out some trials videos, it's a standard move. It's usually slow in trials, but you can use the same technique at speed. The tricky thing is landing near the rear wheel balance point of the bike, so you can absorb the impact with your knees/arms before falling forward. Like many good tricks, it's all about commitment.

As you leave the lip, pull the bars in and push the rear wheel down. From higher drops, your body will be almost straight up. As the rear tire touches down, absorb the impact by bending your knees and falling forward to turn some of the downward energy to forward momentum.