Quantcast

Any tree doctors in the house?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Got a big tree out front that's getting a bit "funny". Not even sure what kind of tree it is, but it's big, provides lots of shade, and is presumably at least as old as the house. This year it was super late to leaf out, and I'd guess about 25-50% of it is definitely "odd". Stunted leaf growth, little fuzzy things that look a bit like weed. I suspect a disease or pest of some sort, as I have a Rose not far from the tree that seems to be suffering a very similar affliction. I guess what I'm looking for are some treatment options. I could give two shots about the rose, but losing the tree would be awful.

Normal leaves
IMG_20210709_104321649.jpg

Suspect growth
IMG_20210709_104226025.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, are the affected leaves isolated to a single portion of the tree? or are they intermixed throughout the tree with the normal ones?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Other than the Rose, just this tree, and it's interspersed throughout. Been a fairly normal summer. Little hotter than average, but also just a bit wetter. Nothing super out of the usual.

Not yet!
how many leafs on the clusters?

in your original pic, is that the trunk in the background? can you get a better pic?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Got a big tree out front that's getting a bit "funny". Not even sure what kind of tree it is, but it's big, provides lots of shade, and is presumably at least as old as the house. This year it was super late to leaf out, and I'd guess about 25-50% of it is definitely "odd". Stunted leaf growth, little fuzzy things that look a bit like weed. I suspect a disease or pest of some sort, as I have a Rose not far from the tree that seems to be suffering a very similar affliction. I guess what I'm looking for are some treatment options. I could give two shots about the rose, but losing the tree would be awful.

Normal leaves
View attachment 162058

Suspect growthView attachment 162059
Maybe the tree now self-identifies as argula?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was told that blowing bonghits towards the Cat is kind of cruel. As she seems to not like it. I have stopped. Just a thought....

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles

Normal leaves
View attachment 162058

Suspect growthView attachment 162059
You came to the best place for arboreal advice! This mountain bike forum is teeming with expert arborists who will quickly identify the tree species, diagnose the problem, and offer you free advice to heal your leafy friend in no time.
:dirol:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Eastern Tasmanian Death Hemlock. If you touch the leaves and pet your Cat. It will die. Sadly. The Russian Military harvests the sap for their deadly Neurotoxins. Some crazy shit....