Quantcast

Any Veterans in the house?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Checking to see if there any vets in the crowd that would be able to apply to join us this year in yellowstone Aug 12-18. We pay for you airfare, travel, lodging and food, all you need to bring is a good attitude and willingness to roll up your sleeves in the park. Consider it a working vacay. This is our 13th year in the park helping out the backcountry rangers.

Already checked with @jimmydean and @johnbryanpeters, they cant go.

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 12.01.37 PM.png

2022 Mission Objectives

Demo and reinstall roofs on the historic barns at canyon Distric corrals
Building workbenches inside the Canyon barns
Installing solar power systems to the Canyon barns
Painting Canyon barns

Installing a wooden round pen at Lake District corrals
Wooden Buck and rail style fence work at Lake District pasture
Feed bunk and cat walk repair at Lake District corrals

This will be the 13th year we have had veterans working inside the park, usually free wieners as well....

2009 Lamar District Corrals
2010 Tower District Corrals
2011 West District Corrals
2012 Lake District Corrals
2013 Lake District Corrals
2014 Bechler District Corrals
2015 West District Corrals
2016 Stephens Creek District Corrals
2017 Stephens Creek District Corrals
2018 Stephens Creek District Corrals
2019 Snake river District Corrals
2020 Canyon District Corrals
2021 Canyon District Corrals
2022 Canyon/Lake District Corrals

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Given how much work I do on trails already...It's really not something I want to travel to do. I can see it would be a neat opportunity for some, especially if the park is on their bucket list or something.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We still have a draft in Denmark. I was drafted and served a whole month plus 100 hours not because I was kicked out but that was the the whole program in the first aid / fire fighting division where I ended up. Not sure that counts :-)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If I could take the time off, I would love to do one of these trips. But I don't get real vacation for like 3 more years.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If you got drafted, you can also call yourself a vet? Sweet, I will use that in the future. :weee:
Never though of myself as one.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FTS.

That's bullshit, man. I'd renegotiate. You're presently in a VERY good position, from the sounds of it, to take care of this bullshit. 'Cause that's bullshit, man. :mad:
I've only been here a year. Everyone else has been here 10+, but my old ass represents the new breed. :rofl:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
FTS. That's bullshit. I don't care *how* long you've been there. To think a company these days can get away with *NO* vacation (regardless of tenure) is a giant, steaming pile of horseshit. :rant:
You're quite hostile
I got a right to be hostile man, my people bein' persecuted

+++
As to the OP / YNP trip, I suspect your schedule is booked, but I'm always down for hosting a lazy river float (2 drink minimum) if you / monkeys are passing through Island Park either way...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
FTS. That's bullshit. I don't care *how* long you've been there. To think a company these days can get away with *NO* vacation (regardless of tenure) is a giant, steaming pile of horseshit. :rant:
I get 2 weeks PTO and a week of sick and can use some sick for PTO. I spread my 2 weeks out into a few long weekends for camping mostly.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I get 2 weeks PTO and a week of sick and can use some sick for PTO. I spread my 2 weeks out into a few long weekends for camping mostly.
Heh. Well... so much for my rant. :D

Two weeks is still paltry - especially considering the industry you're in...

They should *give* you a paid week to go volunteer as a vet on a trip like this. Hit up HR. Bet they go for it. Bet some of the "old-timers" get salty about it, too. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Heh. Well... so much for my rant. :D

Two weeks is still paltry - especially considering the industry you're in...

They should *give* you a paid week to go volunteer as a vet on a trip like this. Hit up HR. Bet they go for it. Bet some of the "old-timers" get salty about it, too. :D
When I worked for Transcore they paid for your 2 weeks of duty. My duty station was Pearl Harbor. I did 3 different 2 week stints one year. Hotel room, rental car, and $190 a day of beer money from the government. I got paid both my military pay and my regular pay. It was a good year.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
We still have a draft in Denmark. I was drafted and served a whole month plus 100 hours not because I was kicked out but that was the the whole program in the first aid / fire fighting division where I ended up. Not sure that counts :-)
I involuntarily served my country for 18 months. What a waste of time, and also what a time to get wasted. :D

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I involuntarily served my country for 18 months. What a waste of time, and also what a time to get wasted. :D
I learned some valuable skills especially first aid and fire fighting that has come in handy plus also knowing how I react to a lot of situations and how to automatically react.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I learned some valuable skills especially first aid and fire fighting ...
Same here, plus a semi truck license. Still was a waste of a year. But after being on the inside, I know why Germany lost two world wars. :s :disgust1:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Same here, plus a semi truck license. Still was a waste of a year. But after being on the inside, I know why Germany lost two world wars. :s :disgust1:
It worked out for me as I had just returned from my first year in the US in 1992 and had time before starting business school. So I got paid and learned a lot.