Quantcast

Any video camera geeks?

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
I just recently found my old Sony 560x Handy Cam, and would love to start filming riding, only problem is its Hi 8. I was wonder if there were any film converters to make the footage editable on a modern day comp. I am using an Imac G5 if that matters. Also, is there any programs on the comp that can do your average editing? Music, text, transitions?

Someone tell me if this is possible.

Dan

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Don't know about the conversions for Hi-8 tapes. But, I can give you a copy of Final Cut 5 if you want. Just make sure it will run on your machine.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
idvd wont do anything to get his footage into an editable format. if your camcorder has firewire (which it might not?) you can import through imovie and use that to do a lot of your editing needs. using fcp5 for most editing is like using a plasma torch to knock on someones door.

chances are your cam doesnt have firewire though, but it should have rca cables out from it which you can work with. i think it's Dazzle that makes an rca (white, red, yellow) adaptor to get your footage into your computer. from there you can use imovie to cut it up.

your other option is to get another, new mini-dv camera which can be had for about 350-500.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There's about a hundred different boxes that you can buy that will take RCA-outs and allow you to record them into an editable digital format. I have very little experience with them, but I bought my dad a high end Dazzle for Christmas a couple years ago so he could take all the old home videos and archive them on the PC.

Basically, any card (either internal or external) that has RCA plugs as inputs can be used for your purposes.