Quantcast

Any way to upgrade the freebody of a ROAM 50 wheel?

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
New to this XD driver stuff..
Got a sweet deal on a ROAM 50 with 11-42 cassette for the endubro , but the pawl engagement is lacking when I want to pump them cranks through rocks.
Would a X0 freehub have more engagement? And would it even fucking fit?
Thanks

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I am 80% sure that the answer to both your questions is yes, not sure how helpful that is though.
Can you take a pic of the freehub removed from the hub? I have an x0 xd driver here I can take a photo of and compare.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Answer to first question is "no", answer to second question is "yes, but why bother"

here is product description from Roam 50 wheels
"hubs feature 4 pawls and a 26-tooth ratchet ring that yields 52-point, 6.9-degree engagement and are compatible with SRAM XD and Shimano cassettes."

here is excerpt from below website for X0 hubs:
"double time ratchet is 4-pawl design with 52-pt ratchet and 6.9 degrees of engagement"

just re-lace your rim to a better/higher engagement hub. the XD driver is just a place for a cassette to mount to (i.e., a freehub body)--it engages with a hub no differently than a traditional HG freehub body. engagement will be determined by number of pawls/teeth in drive-ring.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Does your hub have 4 pawls in it? I know SRAM did do a version of that freehub that only had 2. Also, 52pts is a decent number isn't it? Unless you are used to a Chris king or I9 or something, it's more than 90% of the DT hubs out there.