Quantcast

Any XP settings required for memory upgrade?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Recently upped my memory in the laptop from 1g to 2g. I've noticed no performance increase, I still get not enough memory messages and the Physical memory on the task manager never reads less than 1G available. Is there a setting I need to change for XP to recognize the new hardware?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is the computer even seeing the new memory? I'm assuming it is since you said this:
Physical memory on the task manager never reads less than 1G available.
...but just wanted to make sure it wasn't a typo and should have read "more than".

No, there are no settings you need to change. Need more information, though, when are you getting memory errors, under what conditions and in what programs?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Go to control panel>system>advanced>performance settings>advance tab>virtual memory>change and check that either you have it system managed or you have set an appropriate custom value for the amount of RAM you have and what you are doing on your computer (google virtual memory).

If you are getting memory errors other than running low on virtual memory you can burn a bootable CD and sit around forever while the program does a bunch of testing loops: http://www.memtest.org/

Here are some other responses you can expect too:

Stinkyboy: "Get a Mac"
H8R: "Ubuntu rules"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If the memory fits in the RAM slot, it'll work. It might be slower or faster than the motherboard supports (i.e. slowing down the whole set of RAM to the lowest speed, or possibly having spent more for a higher speed than the RAM will run at), but if the pin count matches so it physically fits in the slot, it's good to go.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
If the memory fits in the RAM slot, it'll work. It might be slower or faster than the motherboard supports (i.e. slowing down the whole set of RAM to the lowest speed, or possibly having spent more for a higher speed than the RAM will run at), but if the pin count matches so it physically fits in the slot, it's good to go.
That's what I used to think.

Recently upped my memory in the laptop from 1g to 2g. I've noticed no performance increase, I still get not enough memory messages and the Physical memory on the task manager never reads less than 1G available. Is there a setting I need to change for XP to recognize the new hardware?
Please be very specific. Exactly what message do you get, and when do you get it?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's what I used to think.
From a technical standpoint some motherboards can be incompatible with some specific brands or chips of RAM, but that's not really buying the "right kind" of RAM, that's just a glitch.

Typically that would cause errors and problems (often failing POST), though, not just fail to show up.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Did you check really well to make sure there wasn't a furball or dust rhino in the DIMM slots before you pushed the bar(s) into place?
Get a flash light and some compressed air if you didn't have a good look the first time.
Perhaps you got a bad one. I'd try exchanging it for a new one before considering other things are causing the problem.