Quantcast

Anybody DJ with a rigid? (mtb)

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
I'm running my 04 Soul Cycles Titan with a Surly instigator fork on it, and am wondering if DJing on it will be harder to learn than it would be with say a 3-5" single crown fork. First off, I suck at djing to begin with but figured that with a rigid fork I'd get better flow. So far it feels pretty natural on park and urban but I'm not sure how its going to handle compared to other things in djing. Any opinions? Also, any suggestions on things a beginner djer should do to help with skill development?

mtnbikeair

Chimp
Jan 19, 2005
Greensboro NC
I would recommend going with the suspension fork because you may think you will get better flow with your rigid fork, but i would learn on what you plan on riding on. Dirt jumping normally involves some pretty large jumps and alot of times really hard landings, something that no rigid fork will ever teach you how to soak up. I would go for the suspension fork anyday.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
There is a reason bmxers use a rigid fork. Less likely to break and works better when jumping. You'll learn how to jump better and be a smoother rider all around. I'd keep the rigid and just giver on the jumps.

The Ito

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
rigid is the way to go, especially on the small lines. suspension just soaks up small hits...

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
COmtbiker12 said:
I'm running my 04 Soul Cycles Titan with a Surly instigator fork on it, and am wondering if DJing on it will be harder to learn than it would be with say a 3-5" single crown fork. First off, I suck at djing to begin with but figured that with a rigid fork I'd get better flow. So far it feels pretty natural on park and urban but I'm not sure how its going to handle compared to other things in djing. Any opinions? Also, any suggestions on things a beginner djer should do to help with skill development?
Tony-

I've seen you ride, and don't take this personally.....but

Suspension=forgiveness

Unless it's a money issue, which i highly doubt knowing you...I'd keep the single crown, if you front wheel case a little you will die(kinda) with the rigid.

When you progress to the point where you're comfortable hitting jumps and knowing you won't need the forgiveness, go rigid, and take your riding skills further from there.

Anyway my 2 cents

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
You have to be skilled to jump a MTB with a rigid fork. A BMX bike is much smaller the a MTB bike, the extra room allows the rider to use his elbows, knees, etc to soak up mis-judged landings. I know there are guys who jump Rigid mtb's but Like I mentioned, they have skills. If you self admit that you can't jump I would not reccomend learning with a rigid fork. get a suspension fork. It will be much more forgiving when you either overclear a landing, or case badly.

I have had a couple of bad over clears, and I know had I not been running a suspension fork I probably would have broken my wrists!!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
axlvid23 said:
Tony-

I've seen you ride, and don't take this personally.....but

Suspension=forgiveness

Unless it's a money issue, which i highly doubt knowing you...I'd keep the single crown, if you front wheel case a little you will die(kinda) with the rigid.

When you progress to the point where you're comfortable hitting jumps and knowing you won't need the forgiveness, go rigid, and take your riding skills further from there.

Anyway my 2 cents
Alex, when you saw me riding last summer I was completely different. Also, I've found lately that I enjoy riding the hardtail a lot. Not to mention when I built it up it was built up rigid with the idea of starting off slow and developing skills and flow from it without trying to push myself to go big and depending on a suspension fork.

Thanks for the opinions from everybody else. I figure the only jumps I'll be jumping will be the ones I build myself or some smaller ones near my house. Probably nothing with more than a 3ft gap at THE most until I can master those. In the past I've jumped those but never rigid so it won't necessarily be learning all together but just figuring out how the rigid will react to it and basically just improving my jumping skills altogethrer since I pretty much can't do much except jump it, lol.