Quantcast

Anybody else use crossfit to DH/MX success?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i've been using kettlebells as opposed to the regular 2 dimensional BS at the gym and i've definitely noticed a difference in my riding...cardio wise, i could use a major tune up though
Kettlebells...a really great part of a workout. Or, as my wife's gym seems to think...I great way to get people to break their wrists by not teaching how to actually use them the right way the first time.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Kettlebells...a really great part of a workout. Or, as my wife's gym seems to think...I great way to get people to break their wrists by not teaching how to actually use them the right way the first time.
i like them because i can grab a jump rope, use a couple of them and rage in the back yard with no distractions....that way i don't have to deal with a bunch of donkeys at the gym standing around talking to each other and just getting in the way....i can say for sure they help your control and strength on a bike quite a bit...

as for breaking wrists i've had some close calls where i just buckled from exhaustion, but the best bet is to buy a book on them to outline what do/not do....

welp, it's 80 degrees in san diego, i'm gonna go for a ride

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm just refering to clean and press with one hand. My wife came home and showed me her technique and complained about the weight hitting her.

I told her to toughen up, but then she showed me and the teacher just has them grab it in the middle, not at the horn. And he doesn't teach them to punch through to keep it from popping their arm. Gyms...where idiots get paid to teach. Trainers...where people go to learn.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
Gyms...where idiots get paid to teach. Trainers...where people go to learn.
yeah i agree... "trainers" at bigger gyms are typically complete jokes....

that clean and press with one hand is such a good workout....the requirements to get certified are insane...100 of them in under 5 minutes with a 53lb ball:eek:...pretty nutty...my roommate is doing 100 in around 4:25, but he weighs 240 and he's a pro australian rules football player....i feel like a twink trying to work out with him...

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I think trainers are for the average person are kinda over rated, if you want to train for something specific, a certain goal or event and know of a person that can help you achieve that, that's fine. People that need a trainer every time they step foot into a gym or training situation have no real hope of advancement in my opinion. That being said, I always like to see what type of training plans, spilts and programs be it short or long term people use that achieve great success.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
I'm a crossfit coach and much like Kenan said, for dh and developing core strength and explosiveness, it will be great. For building overall strength, I would incorporate a strength program as well. The Wendler 531 is great in addition to normal CF programming.