Quantcast

Anybody ever ride Ft. Lewis Mountain in Roanoke/ Salem?

mcanull

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Roanoke,VA
From Angeline Hunter parking lot on Bradshaw rd. Trail may be called Elevator Shaft??? (this would be a suitable name…but where the hell is the elevator)
I don’t know the trail names and couldn’t find any maps. Trail goes up a mile or so and is pretty cool, heads down into a saddle, then heads straight and very steeply up the mountain ridge. Much too steep and loose to ride up, (it was pretty sketchy coming down too) I pushed on up to another saddle, here the trail seemed good again but there were lots of fallen trees. I turned around at this point and rode down, It was starting to get dark and I didn’t know how much further it was to the top?
There seemed to be a spur trail just before a pile of logs/jump? before the first saddle. Not sure where it goes?
If anyone knows anything about these trails fill me in.
I would like to hook up with some people to ride with in the Roanoke area.
I am mainly into trail rides,FR,DH etc.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
send me a message whenever you want to head out... There are 3 of those chutes you speak of on the trail, it's not ridden often, it's really not too bad at all once you get going on it, you just go... It often has a ton of trees down from the lack of use.... tops out at the fire road; the fire road at the top is a lil confusing but not too bad...

If you are standing in the parking lot facing the trail head looking up, there is another trail down the road to your right, (big bad wolf), lots of nice corners, typical east coast single track....

There is also a pretty nice trail off the backside as well, but access is not that great...

mcanull

Chimp
May 25, 2007
Roanoke,VA
3 chutes, damn and I thought I was getting close to the top...its a bit bigger than it looks from the bottom. Must be a couple hours to get on top of it.

the big bad wolf must be off one of these pullouts by the creek where people park to hunt.

will have to check it out too.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Yeah man, I've never done the elevator shaft but the trail I rode with Castle on Ft. Lewis mtn was awesome. Lots of fun techy rock gardens and a couple sections worth riding over and over.