Quantcast

Anybody ever scored a good bike outta the trash?

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I drove around some rich people's neighborhoods after Xmas, hoping to find good bikes discarded just because new ones were received as holiday gifts... but I kept on missing the rich folks' trash days. :(

Anybody had luck with this?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
one time we found an bmx bike in an alley in a dumpster. the whole thing was covered in pink, blue and purple glitter. it was pretty busted up too.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Back home we found a discarded BMX bike on the trails and we moved it out of the way but it somehow foudn its way back to the trail every time we road

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
never found a usable bike but one day we stumbled across a leather couch which looked like new, it became a nice addition to our kitchen :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I saw a junky bike out for trash pickup one day, so I grabbed it. Brought it home and put it in the garage. It was in really bad shape, so after determining it was beyond rescue, I took the wheels off it, and put the rest of it out with the trash. The wheels sat in my garage for a couple years, then they went out to the trash too :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Ask Splat about his friend who scores all sorts of great stuff from the Wellseley, MA dump!

He picked up a sweet specialized hardtail for his son Peter through this guy!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Never scored but I gave away a frame like that. A 95ish diamond back frame that I had ridded for a while. Nice little 14 inch steel frame. Upgraded the frame to a GT Zaskar and put the ol DB out to pasture next to the dumpster. The apartment handyman came by and asked if he could have it. I said yes and he was stoked. Good karma points for me! :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Not always, but sometimes, bikey's left in the dumpster are haunted by an evil spirit and should be left alone, or many bad things could happen.....

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
I have a mid 70's Schwinn Suburban three speed in MINT condition. Has the mechanical speedo with odometer and even had the little tire nubs still on the ORIGINAL tires.
Found it in Newton MA out with the a bunch of trash cans...and I remember the day - b/c I was just ahead of the garbage truck...it was a couple years ago (on the way home from work). 'Threw it in the back of the outback wagon - & looked around to see if anyone had any objections. I'm keepin it to see if it gains any value.
Newton MA is the next town over from Wellesley {Splat's favorite pickin' spot}.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
UiUiUiUi said:
never found a usable bike but one day we stumbled across a leather couch which looked like new, it became a nice addition to our kitchen :D
you have a couch in your kitchen? is it just a ginourmous kitchen, where you shower and sleep and read the morning newspaper when not cooking? hmm.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
C.P. said:
I have a mid 70's Schwinn Suburban three speed in MINT condition. Has the mechanical speedo with odometer and even had the little tire nubs still on the ORIGINAL tires.
Found it in Newton MA out with the a bunch of trash cans...and I remember the day - b/c I was just ahead of the garbage truck...it was a couple years ago (on the way home from work). 'Threw it in the back of the outback wagon - & looked around to see if anyone had any objections. I'm keepin it to see if it gains any value.
Newton MA is the next town over from Wellesley {Splat's favorite pickin' spot}.
I just scored an early 70's suburban from the dump, this dude was about to toss it and I just asked if I could have it (for my GF). As I was loading it into my truck this jackass dump employee comes over and starts threatening to have me arrested for scavenging. I explained o him that the guy never turned possession over to the dump before giving it to me. The douche then tries to tell me that once something enters the dump it belongs to the dump. I asked him why my truck wasn't his then? He was confused so I told him I was leaving. He threatened me again and I explained that he was confusing the principle of the rule and the actual rule. Eventually he admitted that the girl at the gate really wanted the bike and he was going to get it for her. I told him that technically that was illegal and then I got in my truck and drove off. Dumbass :rolleyes:

Anyway I got the bike and my GF loves it. The best part is I got my Humuhumunukunukuapua'a back as my city bike now that she has her own :thumb:

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
when i was youg (age 6 to 15 approx.) i used to pickup bikes in the thrash all the time, every spring the town had a special "monster garbage" week were they pickup the big trash that you cant put normally...always ton of bikes to pickup that week. Then I stored the bikes in my fathers garage and build my own bikes with the parts, I had my own little shop at 8 years old, I had different setup every month!... 15 years later, my father sells the house and ask me to come and clean ou the garage and take out my old bike parts, that day i've put 3 frames and 32 wheels :eek: of various size in the thrash!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Pau11y said:
Not bikes, but I score skis all the time that way. Living in a ski town, there are some muthas w/ more money than god and they just toss "old" skis in the dumpsters because it's not the latest/greatest.
Do you have any of thoes ski's laying around that you aren't using? Maybe some 170s or 178s?
:)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
Not bikes, but I score skis all the time that way. Living in a ski town, there are some muthas w/ more money than god and they just toss "old" skis in the dumpsters because it's not the latest/greatest.
Dude. What decent skis have you scored from a dumpster? Are people tossing away mid-fats now? :confused: Or are you talking about 10-year old straight skinny sticks?

-S.S.-

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Toshi said:
you have a couch in your kitchen? is it just a ginourmous kitchen, where you shower and sleep and read the morning newspaper when not cooking? hmm.
nah it was back at my last place we (4 people) used to live in a huge condo with 5 rooms and had a big kitchen where we placed that couch because we wanted a comfy couch to have breakfast on :)

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
MMcG said:
Do you have any of thoes ski's laying around that you aren't using? Maybe some 170s or 178s?
:)
Not right now. I find them mostly during the summers when ppl are sick of seeing their old crap (old crap that I'd pick up and ski :D ). I found a pair of 183cm Volkl P40, maybe a 4 season old model w/ some EnergyRails this past summer. They were in great shape, the edges and base was mint. There was only a bit of surface rust and that cleaned up w/ one pass of the file. Anyway, the riser plate was cracked which is why I think they're in the dumpster. I found a set, thru a shop listed on Ebay, for $15.00/pair (also bought some Look PWR140s for $180) and I've been skiing on these for most of this season.
I also found a pair of old Rossi 4S in a 190cm. These are now my bump skis. Total spent on these, $5.00 to have the old holes plugged and new ones sunk for some bindings I already have.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. What decent skis have you scored from a dumpster? Are people tossing away mid-fats now? :confused: Or are you talking about 10-year old straight skinny sticks?

-S.S.-
There were 2 pairs of Volants mid-fats sitting in the hotel's recycle room for the past 3 month. I just look and someone finally made off w/ them. They were 170-180 range w/ rental bindings. I looked at the base, camber, and edges. All good. I would have skied those too if I didn't think I was going to bend them. There are 10 year old straight sticks and I look for those for my bump skis, specifically in a 190cm. I have another pair of dumpster find, an old Rossi 4S in a 195. They're totally shot, but have a almost brand new looking pair of Marker M46R sitting on them. If you can ski a binding that goes to 14, want me to pull those for you?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Pau11y said:
Not right now. I find them mostly during the summers when ppl are sick of seeing their old crap (old crap that I'd pick up and ski :D ). I found a pair of 183cm Volkl P40, maybe a 4 season old model w/ some EnergyRails this past summer. They were in great shape, the edges and base was mint. There was only a bit of surface rust and that cleaned up w/ one pass of the file. Anyway, the riser plate was cracked which is why I think they're in the dumpster. I found a set, thru a shop listed on Ebay, for $15.00/pair (also bought some Look PWR140s for $180) and I've been skiing on these for most of this season.
I also found a pair of old Rossi 4S in a 190cm. These are now my bump skis. Total spent on these, $5.00 to have the old holes plugged and new ones sunk for some bindings I already have.
Damn - remind me to remember you come springtime/summertime!
:cool:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Pau11y said:
There were 2 pairs of Volants mid-fats sitting in the hotel's recycle room for the past 3 month. I just look and someone finally made off w/ them. They were 170-180 range w/ rental bindings. I looked at the base, camber, and edges. All good. I would have skied those too if I didn't think I was going to bend them. There are 10 year old straight sticks and I look for those for my bump skis, specifically in a 190cm. I have another pair of dumpster find, an old Rossi 4S in a 195. They're totally shot, but have a almost brand new looking pair of Marker M46R sitting on them. If you can ski a binding that goes to 14, want me to pull those for you?
Naw... thanks though! I have a pair of Dynastar S9s (straight and skinny) for backcountry, a pair of Dynastar X8s (for everything in resort - pow, bumps, whatever), and just recently got a vintage pair of Volkl Snow Rangers for pow/crud/non-groomed.

I ski with my bindings set around 7.5 :eek:

I'm getting old, so the crud I used to find easy with skinnies has become more tiring for me..........

Maybe I'm just out of shape. :think:

-S.S.-

VA2SLOride

Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
I found a really old Haro frame in the creek by my house on my walk home for lunch today...really old. It had a 1" headtube, I almost took it, but I have too much bike crap around my apartment. I'm assuming it's still in the same place unless some homeless dude took it.

Jeff 151

Monkey
Sep 25, 2004
DeezBay, Cali
Christmas day '03: I picked a mid-90's GT performer off the curb. Not really a hot score but on closer inspection I saw it was sportin a set of mint Mavic racing wheels (no longer made.)