Quantcast

Anybody ever set up a bike fund savings account?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MMcG said:
I just went to the bank and opened a new "2005 frame/bike" fund savings account. :)

Anyone else ever do this?
Yup! And my wife (Fiancé at the time) told all my friends about it - so for my 30th B'Day everyone added to the fund... I bought my bike the next week!!! I've got some very nice and generous friends!!!

Unfortunately I now "need" a new bike, but I don't think they'll chip in again until it's another 'big' birthday... so I'm on my own for this one.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I've thought about it. I have direct deopsit into my checking account. I was thinking of having my checks deposited to an account that has e-banking, and then set my account to make payments to a seperate bike account. If I touch the money, its gone. That is why I settled on this method. But I do not have a job right now so that complicates things a bit. I also do not wantr to leave my local bank. They are nice, unlike Bank of America. My local bank doesn't do ebanking yet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Repack said:
I was thinking of having my checks deposited to an account that has e-banking, and then set my account to make payments to a seperate bike account.
My company will split up my direct deposit - a lot of companies will do it if you ask. I have 20% of it deposited into my savings account, and the rest goes into checking.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
I'm afraid none of my accounts are bike fund accounts. :(

-S.S.-

im with you on that one homey. i never have any money, thats why i trade stuff i already own for other peoples used stuff

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
biggins said:
im with you on that one homey. i never have any money, thats why i trade stuff i already own for other peoples used stuff
Oh, I have money - it's just earmarked for:

A minivan
A mortgage
A trip to Disney World
A trip to Italy
Xmas presents

There's none left for bikey unless I break something. And then the broken item replacment becomes a priority. :D

-S.S.-

J

JRB

I have a friend that has a bike account. I wish I could afford that.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
MMcG said:
I just went to the bank and opened a new "2005 frame/bike" fund savings account. :)

Anyone else ever do this?
I have multiple. Easy access account of 1000$ for any emergency repairs. I have another account for play things which is ever growing. This goes to road trips and bike stuff (see a bike I buy it) of, right now, 2000$.

Then I have a savings account for my lifestyle savings (house for example) which I tapped last fall (needed a bike and my others accounts didn't exist at that point) but only do under certain circumstances.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I have $1k stuffed in a jar in my house, does that count? Add rolled change and returning the empties and I might own a new DH bike this year! :)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
SkaredShtles said:
Oh, I have money - it's just earmarked for:

A minivan
A mortgage
A trip to Disney World
A trip to Italy
Xmas presents

There's none left for bikey unless I break something. And then the broken item replacment becomes a priority. :D

-S.S.-
Dude, where are your priorities? :confused:

A mini van :help: ;)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
if i was a crack addict i wouldn't put money away for my habit, i'd blow it all when i needed my fix. why should my bikey spending be any different. :p

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ha, there's this dude that comes into the shop I work at and buys ish with the "bike credit card"...

Even if I had a bike savings account, it would still be empty...