Quantcast

Anybody got a frame weight on a 2007 demo 8 or demo7?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
This is part of the equation that I will put into the compuwootron in order to get the appropriate result.

Just trying to find out which is lighter and if it's enough of a difference to matter either way.
Jeremy R said:
They are right around 10.5
so figure the difference is minimal, maybe a half pound?
have you been riding a HL, where does it differ from your demo?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
so figure the difference is minimal, maybe a half pound?
have you been riding a HL, where does it differ from your demo?
I've got a few days on the newer design of the highline. I'm really digging it. It's very well balanced at 7 and 7 with a single crown fork. Jumps well, pedals well enough and is really stiff. The new rear end is burly.

It's not a fair comparison to my D8, because that's setup as a full blown dh rig....really low, slack and soft.

It makes sense to get the D7 because I own 3 other spec bikes so switching wheels etc is easy if I break something on one of them. My biggest concern with the demo is that it will be too slack and/or pedal like ass on climbs. I'm going to borrow one in the next few days here and give it a go.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
It makes sense to get the D7 because I own 3 other spec bikes so switching wheels etc is easy if I break something on one of them. My biggest concern with the demo is that it will be too slack and/or pedal like ass on climbs. I'm going to borrow one in the next few days here and give it a go.
Not sure if this helps but as a point of reference, my D7 w/ 66 is wayyy slacker than tuadog's Uzzi w/ 66. Same headset setup too on both bikes. We swapped rigs for a lap at the SST flowpark on Saturday, and getting on the Uzzi was like switching to a twitchy XC bike in comparison. Cornering/steering was wayyy quicker/more flicky on the Uzzi, but the Demo felt much more stable and like a big safety blanket to me on all the jumps. I'd imagine the HL is more like your Uzzi...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not sure if this helps but as a point of reference, my D7 w/ 66 is wayyy slacker than tuadog's Uzzi w/ 66. Same headset setup too on both bikes. We swapped rigs for a lap at the SST flowpark on Saturday, and getting on the Uzzi was like switching to a twitchy XC bike in comparison. Cornering/steering was wayyy quicker/more flicky on the Uzzi, but the Demo felt much more stable and like a big safety blanket to me on all the jumps. I'd imagine the HL is more like your Uzzi...
so yeah.....you know I've been riding an uzzi

The highline is pretty different.....Like I said, I've been riding one the last few weeks. It's slacker, lower and rides more plush. Right now the only reason I can think the keep the uzzi is that it pedals and climbs great. But for a 38+lb freeride bike, climbing isn't the priority. As long as it's adequate, it'll do.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
It's slacker, lower and rides more plush. Right now the only reason I can think the keep the uzzi is that it pedals and climbs great. But for a 38+lb freeride bike, climbing isn't the priority. As long as it's adequate, it'll do.
Ah, gotcha. I forgot to mention there was an HL out there the same day, and he seemed to think the Uzzi and it had similar rides. But again, that was the older HL. If you've ridden the new HL, never mind. I can't imagine the d7 and d8 feel that different. Pedaling uphill isn't fun on the d7 by any means, but it's adequate. I've cleaned puke hill on it and took it on some long shuttles with significant climbing the other day.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah the demo7 is supposed to have a 65* HT with the Totem (axle to crown on the totem and 66 are both 565). That's a little too slack for me, I like how my SX Trail was with 66.5*. Not to mention 66's don't sag much so that will slacken out your HT a bit more too. This being so, I opted to run the E.13 Zero stack cups and Cane Creek IS bearings to drop the front end a tad. Should work out nice. Very light too. Just an idea to kick around.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah the demo7 is supposed to have a 65* HT with the Totem (axle to crown on the totem and 66 are both 565). That's a little too slack for me, I like how my SX Trail was with 66.5*. Not to mention 66's don't sag much so that will slacken out your HT a bit more too. This being so, I opted to run the E.13 Zero stack cups and Cane Creek IS bearings to drop the front end a tad. Should work out nice. Very light too. Just an idea to kick around.
Yeah If I get the demo, it will definitely be with a 1 1/8 steerer fork and zero stack headset.

My only question at this point is just how much that's going to drop it. I'd like to leave it in the slack setting to keep the bb low.

Ozzer

Monkey
Dec 21, 2003
Life Ends at 619
Yeah If I get the demo, it will definitely be with a 1 1/8 steerer fork and zero stack headset.

My only question at this point is just how much that's going to drop it. I'd like to leave it in the slack setting to keep the bb low.
2009 trend will be about tall BB height.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
well it says 6mm stack height on the E.13 cups. And most headsets have about 25mm stack height so you're looking at a reduction of about 20mm. That's quite a bit. I don't want to bust out the trig, but that's prolly good for about 3/4 to 1 degree don't you think? I want to keep the low BB too.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Weighed the new frame today.

Large D7 with fox DHX and 450lb steel spring weighed in at almost exactly 11.5lbs.

Enjoy.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
wow, I'm surprised that going from small to large is a full pound. Not like it makes any difference, you need whatever size you need, but still interesting.

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
wow, I'm surprised that going from small to large is a full pound. Not like it makes any difference, you need whatever size you need, but still interesting.
havent the 08's got the magnesium link, meaning a drop in weight. ok not a pound, but maybe some

Rigger

Chimp
Jul 29, 2004
NV
the mag link drops around 1/4 lb and the d8 is around 1/4 lb lighter than the d7 due to being an 1 1/8" HT.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Ok that makes more sense. So its more like 1/2lb difference between small and large.

I might have to try and get my hands on a magnesium link then. I wonder how much they'll want for one...