Quantcast

Anybody have any Shimano Zee weights yet?

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I am specifically wondering about cranks but I am sure we would all be curious about the rest. In the market for a new set and the price is good. I don't consider myself too weight weenie but if there are other reliable models out there for the same price and weigh less, I will get the ones that weigh less. Has anybody put these things on a scale yet. Sicklines doens't and a google search has not come up with anything either.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Updated the Zee post on SickLines with the claimed weights for you. Will get some verified weights once i get a hold of the Zee stuff for ya guys. I am assuming the crankset weight includes bb, bb-sleeve, and chainring.

http://www.sicklines.com/2012/04/23/video-2013-shimano-zee-m640-components-at-sea-otter/

Shifter $49.99 / 127g
Rear Derailleur $109.99 / 250g
Pre-Bled Disc Brake – Front $249.99 / 311g
Pre-Bled Disc Brake – Rear $249.99 / 311g
Crankset $159.99 / 906g or 938g (for 83mm)
Front Hub $69.99 / 228g
Rear Freehub $89.99 / 350g (135mm OLD) 363g (150mm OLD) 357g (142mm OLD)

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
How do Zee derailleurs compare to SLX derailleurs?
Not sure what you're after exactly but I'd say the Zee deraileur is more in the lines of a cheaper Saint dearilleur without some of the Saint extras than SLX. The Zee comes in a short cage derailleur as well which is a perk and is quite a bit more robust in design than say an SLX. The Zee reminds me of the previous generation Saint but with the Shadow + tech behind it.

Last edited:

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
does the Zee come in 9sp or 10sp? I don't really see the point of having 10sp on a dh bike...

Gunny

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
NL, Europe
Like the new Saint, the Zee derailleur is 10 spd.
I installed mine last week and I really like it, chain runs tight and quiet.
Shifting is crisp.
...and it's cheap.
What else would you need?

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Like the new Saint, the Zee derailleur is 10 spd.
I installed mine last week and I really like it, chain runs tight and quiet.
Shifting is crisp.
...and it's cheap.
What else would you need?
Whats your first impression on it? Im torn between the Zee and the X9 Type 2. Seems like Shimano has a tighter hold with their clutch mech vs. SRAM's.

wolfrider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
I too just got a zee derailleur and shifter for my hardtail with a 1x10 setup, and it is really nice. I came off of a short cage x7 setup, and the zee is noticeably smoother. I opened up the cover over the shadow plus and found out that the whole clutch mechanism slides off 2 cams on the derailleur so you can adjust the tension screw off the bike. It works great!! I like to switch the lever to "off" when I'm climbing. I noticed there's some added resistance on the shifter lever when the derailleur is "on" but I can still get it to 36t ring no problem.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I too just got a zee derailleur and shifter for my hardtail with a 1x10 setup, and it is really nice. I came off of a short cage x7 setup, and the zee is noticeably smoother. I opened up the cover over the shadow plus and found out that the whole clutch mechanism slides off 2 cams on the derailleur so you can adjust the tension screw off the bike. It works great!! I like to switch the lever to "off" when I'm climbing. I noticed there's some added resistance on the shifter lever when the derailleur is "on" but I can still get it to 36t ring no problem.
Out of curiousity, are you running a front chainguide on the 1x10? Wondering how necessary it is with the clutch. Am thinking of going to this setup on my trail bike and wondering if I can just get away with just a Paul chain keeper or something super simple up front.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Out of curiousity, are you running a front chainguide on the 1x10? Wondering how necessary it is with the clutch. Am thinking of going to this setup on my trail bike and wondering if I can just get away with just a Paul chain keeper or something super simple up front.

+1 :stupid:

and when you say "you can still get it to 36t ring no problem", do you mean the 36t cog or are you running a dual ring setup on your cranks?

wolfrider

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
I meant 36t cog on the cassette. I have a 37t ring up front with no chain guide. I had a front derailleur collecting dust so I threw it on as a pseudo chainguide with my old x7 setup, but I'm not sure I actually need it anymore. I should take it off...

Gunny

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
NL, Europe
Whats your first impression on it? Im torn between the Zee and the X9 Type 2. Seems like Shimano has a tighter hold with their clutch mech vs. SRAM's.
I'm running the freeride version 11-36t (I need to ride to some of the trailheads and I don't race).
Before this I was running a 2011 X9 which was good when it was new, but was skipping and needed replacing.
My initial thoughts on the zee are that it's tight and quiet as advertized.
It looks solid and was a breeze to setup.
In my opinion is doesn't come up short in any department and I can't warrent purchasing the saint derraileur over this.