Quantcast

Anybody have experience with the Mojo 999r system?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I currently have a 2006 888 VF2 and I was planning on replacing it with a 888 RC2X, but I recently stumbled upon the Mojo 999r upgrade kit for the 888. It supposedly drops a significant amount of weight from the fork, plus it features "improved" damping (although the website doesn't actually say how it's improved from the stock damper). Has anybody used this system? If so, is it worth the money? What kind of adjustments does it feature? And does anybody know if it's compatible with 2006 888 models? (The pics on Mojo's website only show 2005 888s.) Thanks.

http://www.mojosuspension.com/

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Cool, thanks for the link. I'm a bit confused though... What do they mean by:

Traction-Mag.com said:
The carts have one adjustment knob on the top of the right hand leg. This adjustment controls the compression damping as well as the rebound damping in sync. Chris Porter, head of Mojo Suspension had this to say about the adjustment "This allows the adjuster to give the rider a choice and a blend of two completely different shim stacks one light and one stiff, compression and rebound, in this way you are not just adjusting high speed or low speed or a combination you are adjusting a high speed, low speed, mid speed and all the little speeds in between on both compression and rebound!”

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
That sounds pretty lame. Why in the hell wouldn't you want your adjustments seperate? What if you want slower rebound and softer compression, or vice versa?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
That sounds pretty lame. Why in the hell wouldn't you want your adjustments seperate? What if you want slower rebound and softer compression, or vice versa?
I dunno mang. I shot the guys at Mojo an e-mail with that question, and I asked them how their system compares to the performance and adjustability of the 888 RC2X, so we'll see what they have to say.

I'm just tempted by this Mojo 999 system cuz it's cheaper than upgrading to the 888 RC2X, plus it will save some weight.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Remember you still have a heavy steel steerer on the VF2 though. It certainly might be the call for you though and it HAS to be better than the VF2 damping.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Zark said:
Remember you still have a heavy steel steerer on the VF2 though.
Negative, ghostrider. That was one of the first things I checked when I pulled the bike out of the box. It's an aluminum steerer.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Zark said:
Because Chris Porter makes things that suit very fast racers. That is all they make. The 999 and boxxcart run on the same platform. Chris Porter believes that everything should work in sync and work well. The guy doesn't want or need adjustments to make the fork plush with a fast rebound. Those dampers are designed to do one thing and one thing only; make the fork perform very well at high speed.

If you really need to adjust the rebound or compression circuit seperately you can adjust the shim stacks internally. Everyone I know who has ridden the boxxcart system loves them. I can't see why this should be any different.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
sayndesyn said:
I rather like REEEEALLLLY fast rebound in my fork....
You can have that. But then you get a fast compression stroke as well. Unless you play around with the shim stacks.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i've ridden the 999 system, it was pretty good, made the fork a whole lot lighter. the fork it reminded me of most was a boxxer. but its worth the money.

Jan 18, 2006
Have not heard of anyone not liking the performance after riding it. If you have the ability give them a chance I think you will be presently suprised.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Garrr... Porter is an irrascible old Coot, but if you call Mojo he pretty much answers the phone, and is helpful. Being a former MTB journalist, he writes very detailed technical service emails as well.

I am absolutely 100% geeky about Suspension stuff, and I ran a Mojo cart in my boxxer for a long time. I still think I got more Grip with my boxxcart, and I am having a really hard time letting go of it.

The "mojo way" is to set up shimstacks so that they are closed at sag height. Accomplishing that requires very specific rebound and compression curve, and a fairly limited selection of springrates.

You cannont adjust the fork to make it "feel" exactly how most people like it (which is under-damped on compression, over sprung, and too fast on rebound, IMO), but you can set it up to absorb absolutely every hit as effectively as possible, carry tons of speed, and give impeccable chassis stability and grip.

FWIW, I've heard that the BOS carts are even more heavily damped, and that gets me even hotter.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
I asked the same question to MOJO

This was the answer:

It does adjust the compression and the rebound at the same time. There is only one correct compression setting per rebound setting. If you have seperate adjusters it is possible to have the compression too light in respect to the rebound, in this situation the fork will pack down. If you have the compression too heavy for the rebound, the fork will not use enough travel and will effectively 'pack up'! we have tested the ranges for both rebound shim stacks and both compression shim stacks to give a seamless bend of adjustment over as much rebound speed as we need for the lightest spring we do and the heaviest spring we do and we have matched the compression shim stacks to suit using our datalogger and hours of test riding!

Cheers
ChrisP

DHDror

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Israel
SuspectDevice said:
The "mojo way" is to set up shimstacks so that they are closed at sag height. Accomplishing that requires very specific rebound and compression curve, and a fairly limited selection of springrates.

All shimstacks are closed when the shaft is not moving and not pushing oil through them.
And why should the damping be different at sag height ? :wonky2:
Sorry , I did'nt get that one...

I read somewhere that it has a nitrogen cartridge and that they use Fox parts - Anyone know the role of that nitrogen cartridge ?

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Its nitrogen charged and uses standard fox shims I believe.
I have a set in my 888RT, and they are superbe. They are a good match for my rear Avy DHS, loads of feedback from the front-lets you know exactly whats going on. Probably not as good as a 2006 888 fork but a good upgrade for anyone with blown cartridges or a RT or VF fork. Good price as well and available with a Ti spring.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
It's not actually nitro charged, I do not beleive. None of the fox cartridges are nitro, and neither are any of the previous Mojo carts. This one is larger in diameter compared to the Shiver and Boxxcarts, so they made all new parts.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Hydraulicman said:
I asked the same question to MOJO

This was the answer:

It does adjust the compression and the rebound at the same time. There is only one correct compression setting per rebound setting. If you have seperate adjusters it is possible to have the compression too light in respect to the rebound, in this situation the fork will pack down. If you have the compression too heavy for the rebound, the fork will not use enough travel and will effectively 'pack up'! we have tested the ranges for both rebound shim stacks and both compression shim stacks to give a seamless bend of adjustment over as much rebound speed as we need for the lightest spring we do and the heaviest spring we do and we have matched the compression shim stacks to suit using our datalogger and hours of test riding!

Cheers
ChrisP
Nah that's crap IMO. I spent a bit of time tonight talking to a guy who works on moto shocks (and has build himself dampers for his forks a few times) and he also reckoned it was BS. There is no one correct compression/rebound relation. Claiming otherwise is just BS. The Mojo kits are smooth and all, but their claims are flawed.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
JiveFoolSucka said:
The right leg is nitrogen charged, just as the Boxxer cart is.
Except that the Boxxcart is charged with 175 psi of air from a shock pump using a special air core you can get from Mojo... I think I have a spare or two if you want one...

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
no the RC2X is just fine out of the box. if you've got money to burn then hells yes, spend it till they throw your shi7 out in the street.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
SBDownhillRacer said:
thats what i was guessing. What about the mojo ti springs would the fit in a 888 rc2x

I emailed them about that and they said that it won't fit because their damper is of different proportions than the stock one and the ti springs are designed to fit around their stuff only.

Jan 18, 2006
you can get them through Fifth District Cycles, info@fifthdistrictcycles.com they have already installed 3 of them and are about to order more they say. The guys there are really cool, they all race and have lots of info. I ordered mine through them and they did a great job.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
DHDror said:
I read somewhere that it has a nitrogen cartridge and that they use Fox parts - Anyone know the role of that nitrogen cartridge ?
Basically the Mojocart, is closed damper unit put into your forks.
It works the same way youre rear shock does. Its nitrogen or air charged and its is made using Fox parts.

Any oil in the fork is just to lubricate the staunchions (sp?).

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
A Ti Mojo spring wont work in a stock 888 as its effectively double the poundage of a single 888 spring as there is only one in the left leg with the cartridge being in the right leg.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Kanter said:
So since its nitrogen charged, do you have to recharge it over time?
It Isn't Nitrogen charged! Yes, when just like any fork or shock it does require service, and maitenance. The valve to refill it comes with the cartridge, and any shock pump can handle 175 PSI

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I just got in touch with the guys at Fifth District Cycles, and the Mojo 999R system with a Ti spring is going for about $540 (prices will fluctuate slightly due to the exchange rate between the US dollar and the British pound). I like the sound of that, since it's way cheaper than getting a brand new 888 RC2X.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The system seems interesting but I'd like to see how it feels and determine if the coupling of the reb/comp is good before I would spend over $500 on one. However, the weight savings are sure nice.

Jan 18, 2006
It is "gas charged" and no, you cannot add more "gas" yourself. It does not come with any type of adaptor to achieve this.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Kanter said:
So again.... do you have to recharge the nitrogen in it every year?

i dont know the faintest thing about this mojo thing but i would expect it to have some sort of maintenance interval, and any maintenance done to it would necessarily imply recharging that nitrogen or whatever gas you use.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
We (Yodo Distribution) will be doing Mojo kits in Canada. I have a Boxxcart right now that feels so smooth. I e-mailed Mr. Porter about ripping this thing apart and he basically wrote an instruction booklet to servicing it, which I will be for Western Canada. The kit is pretty simple but well thought out and effective, from looking at the bits 'n pieces. The 999r replaces all stock parts inside the 888. Look for a test on www.nsmb.com in the next few weeks.