Quantcast

Anybody hitting Sugar for Labor Day?

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I may be coming to Boone that weekend, but would have to ride Saturday or Sunday if I did...girlfriend might not be too happy with me though.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
I'm riding the lift. You guys can shuttle if you want but you would easily burn $25 bucks in gas for a day plus shuttling is only a few minutes faster.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm riding the lift. You guys can shuttle if you want but you would easily burn $25 bucks in gas for a day plus shuttling is only a few minutes faster.
I've always wanted to time a run from drop off to parking lot to BS session in the lot to loading up to drop off. Just to get a baseline. Call it the "awwww mannnn" factor.:thumb:

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
so basically all of the red trails on the map are legit trails? I just dont want to drive out there for semi-****ty trails...

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
so basically all of the red trails on the map are legit trails? I just dont want to drive out there for semi-****ty trails...
No, that map is not very accurate by the looks of it. There are two very legit ways down the mountain that are extremely fun. Both routes are very very rocky

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Butch, the area under the lift below 3/4 isn't on the map because they planned on rerouting to deal with erosion. But that never happened and they never printed new maps.
Like Moto and Butch said, you can either take the dh course (high speed, rocky, steep)or cut across and ride the old pro/super d course(still very rocky but tighter and not as steep). It's definitely worth the trip and if you have a hard time finding the trails I should be around most of the weekend.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Saturday is looking good for me. Just got in some new (to me at least) TLD Rincon body armor...hopefully it will move around less than my 10 year old set of Azonic armor.

I don't really know anybody by their forum name, so say whats up if you see me...I'll be on my dark blue Uzzi, probably wearing a mechanic's shirt of some kind.

M-P

Last edited:

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
So I'm going to ride tomorrow for like and hour so im not going to get a lift ticket so can someone tell me what the road is that is used to shuttle and is it allowed to shuttle on a day that the lifts are open?

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Kiponga: You can shuttle via grouse moor dr, then take a left when you see the sign for The Reserve just before sugar top. However you cannot park at the reserve so the only way you can shuttle is if you have a driver.

Untitled: Lifts start at 10 and last chair is between 5 and 5:30 depending on the amount of customers.

The trails are running amazing right now btw.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
Kiponga: You can shuttle via grouse moor dr, then take a left when you see the sign for The Reserve just before sugar top. However you cannot park at the reserve so the only way you can shuttle is if you have a driver.

Untitled: Lifts start at 10 and last chair is between 5 and 5:30 depending on the amount of customers.

The trails are running amazing right now btw.
Had a great time shreding today, props to Brad for showing us the trails:thumb:
Most fun I've had on a downhill bike in a minute

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Man the trail was riding good wasn't it? That's the driest it has been in a long time, glad you guys made it out to ride.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I was there on Saturday and it was hitting awesome...glad I made it up this year. Met a few people but didn't see anyone that I thought was from ridemonkey.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
They might consider races if it was through NORBA because they like the insurance it carries. But the last collegiate race is what killed it for the rest of us, and the fact that they just don't care about mtn biking.

Seems like a lot of people were asking what the trail was like so my friend and I took some video. He just got a new macbook and final cut pro so he was experimenting with the editing features. It was hard to pedal with his camera setup so some of the sections were a little slower than usual (and a lot of hikers in the way). The course was running really rough so the head cam is pretty shaky but we got some good shots. Check out his other videos and the website he contributes to: www.mountaintownupdate.com. Hope you enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/video/video.php?v=428976544899

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
They might consider races if it was through NORBA because they like the insurance it carries. But the last collegiate race is what killed it for the rest of us, and the fact that they just don't care about mtn biking.
They do indeed want to have a USAC race. Actually the collegiate race did not stop them from keeping on promoting races, it had a lot to do with the ditches that they were digging on the mountain. There wasn't really a good route to get down for a while so they stopped pursuing races. Also, straight from the source, is that they found it hard to step back down to grassroots racing after being at the National level with the 2 NORBA races followed by Collegiate Champs for another 2 years.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
gotcha moto, I was mainly speaking of the vandalism that occurred during that race. Let's get together sometime and make things happen for next year.