Quantcast

Anybody in Bicycle/Motorcycle industry...

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Any :monkey:'s currently working or having previously worked in the industry, please P/M me. I have some questions that I would like to ask a design engineer working as a bicycle or motorcycle component designer. Brake design, frame design, fork design, shock design, wheel/tire design, anything design engineering related (not Industrial Design).

It's hard to tell who is an actual engineer and who is a third year college student with no design time under their belt from just browsing the forums and user names, otherwise I would P/M you directly...

Thank you! :)

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
My advice: Run away as fast as you can. Make real money designing lawn furniture or something and buy your bikes at full retail with you real world salary. Seriously.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I'm a mechanical engineering student that has some questions not pertaining to equations and principals of physics, etc., but are industry related. I said anybody in the bicycle/motorcycle industry, but any design engineer will work. I'm also not in this major for the money, even though I easily could be. I'm in it for the fun..

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Originally posted by odiwik
I'm a mechanical engineering student that has some questions not pertaining to equations and principals of physics, etc., but are industry related. I said anybody in the bicycle/motorcycle industry, but any design engineer will work. I'm also not in this major for the money, even though I easily could be. I'm in it for the fun..
Well have *fun* trying to get a job in the industry!:D

You'll realize shortly that you can't just go into the bike industry after college as an engineer, it's almost impossible. Most engineers in the bike industry have years and years of design experience outside bikes, such as motorcycles as you mentioned.

There are a lot of dues to pay to get into the bike industry as a design engineer. And the dues you pay aren't going to be fun unfortunately.

Nately27

Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
odiwik, could you ask your questions in the forum instead of pm? I have a feeling more than one person would be interested in the answers, like me for instance.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Originally posted by Nately27
odiwik, could you ask your questions in the forum instead of pm? I have a feeling more than one person would be interested in the answers, like me for instance.
Lets get ready to rumble.........;) :evil:

Seriously, you should run away now.... ;)

Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by Ctfphotos
My advice: Run away as fast as you can. Make real money designing lawn furniture or something and buy your bikes at full retail with you real world salary. Seriously.
But where to run to?!?!?!?!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Originally posted by Brian Peterson
But where to run to?!?!?!?!
:eek: good point, time for open discussion generated from baseless (in general) perspective and exagerated (miss interpreted) detail and theory. ;) :D :evil:

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by evilbob
:eek: good point, time for open discussion generated from baseless (in general) perspective and exagerated (miss interpreted) detail and theory. ;) :D :evil:
hhaha

so sad, but so true..

well said evilbob

:D :devil: :monkey: