Quantcast

Anybody know if tiger is still open

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
KNine said:
I know it is not due to close till the 15th, but with the rain we have had the last few days.I wonder if the powers that be have to decided to close early.
Check the BBTC site. They usually post if anything from the norm is going on up there.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Its still open for a couple more days. Closed on the 15th as usual, and no chance of getting it extended this year since its so soggy out right now. I think we're paying our dues for having such a good biking winter last year.

BBTC will be having a bunch of work parties up there this winter, so stay tuned to the BBTC trail work calender if you want to help us improve and maintain the trails. There are a couple posted now, and more will be up there this winter.

And just to head off any e-rumors - no, we're not making the trail easier... just drier. Sometime in the future we want to get the trails upgraded and armored to the point where DNR is willing to keep it open all winter.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I'm glad it's closing on time. It's painfull to have it open and not be able to ride it. Best I can do is ride up the road and back down the road :mumble:

Generally I think you guys at the BBTC do a great job maintaining Tiger Mt. excect for one little thing.....Can you guys please and I mean please not use loose quarry spalls (4" and greater dia. rocks)? if you do please toe them in better or lay 4" of crushed surfacing top coarse (better known as CSTC) over the quarry spalls. With good compaction CSTC makes for a better riding surface while still providing adequate drainage.

I understand that drainage is a huge problem there and your trying to stabilize the trail but I have run into too many people who have had pinch flats caused by the quarry spalls and/or almost wrecked by hitting a loose stone.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Gfreak said:
Can you guys please and I mean please not use loose quarry spalls (4" and greater dia. rocks)? if you do please toe them in better or lay 4" of crushed surfacing top coarse
I'd encourage you to send an email to trailteam@bbtc.org and give your feedback. That email goes to Brian Jones, who is the head of the team and is one of our top trail builders. He'll be able to give you a better answer than I can since Tiger maintenance is his gig.

I'll give a quick answer from what I know. There is one short section that I know of where volunteers put rock in the trail when the goal was to have them haul in the material and put it in piles to be properly placed later on by trained crews. The trail team will be fixing some of these spots this winter.

One of the things we are doing is putting crew leaders through a training and certification process. Small groups of volunteers will then work with these highly skilled crew leaders to do the work and learn what it takes to do top-notch trail work. Then once they have enough experience, some of these volunteers will go through our crew leader training program. Think of it as the pyramid scheme of trail building and maintenance.

Its not easy to build trail properly, especially in the Northwest. We're committed to being the best in the biz so that once we build or maintain trails, they stay fun and maintenance free for decades.

As always, a long answer to a short comment.

Cheers,
Justin

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
The other answer would be that the big rocks were used because that's what the DNR gave 'em to work with.....
The club isn't made of money and has to use what they are given.

Actually rubble sections are great for speed control. A good place for them is prior to coming into the switchbacks, for example.
As for pinching, pinch flats are part of mountain biking. Why should Tiger be any different than any other rocky trail in the wild?

I've been advocating heli drops of 2.5 minus for years. But, then the people who think it's getting too easy would complain. Just can't win.....

Like I said I think you guys do a great service for the mtb community. I hope I didn't come across as a nay sayer or winer.

With that said, I understand you can only work with what you're given but if one were able to lobby, lobbying for 1-1/4" minus is where my pact money would go.

I'll be sure to drop Brian Jones a line with my 2 cents backed up with my professional experience designing trails.

looking forward to seeing you guys on the trail, hopefully even with tools in my hand this winter.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
evilbob said:
How's the arm, oh and I like the bigger rocks too.
Way better. PT is way more painful than the break. I'm stuck on the SST type trails right now :rolleyes: I think if it drys out I'm going to try Ed's soon, but I'll be dying for sure :dead:

How's the ankle bubble boy? :p

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Snacks said:
Way better. PT is way more painful than the break. I'm stuck on the SST type trails right now :rolleyes: I think if it drys out I'm going to try Ed's soon, but I'll be dying for sure :dead:

How's the ankle bubble boy? :p
Ha just great a new name. :D The ankle is fine, the weather change is not being kind but that is to be expected. I think a few of us will be heading to SST on Sunday morn. As for other riding there is a Thurs stealth ride (lights and BBTC) at Eds every week when your interested and I think a Wed. stealth at the Tape. When you are ready let me know.

flyboy

Chimp
Jun 18, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Pinch flats are a reality of MTB, but not a result of poorly selected trail material. :stosh: Sure, that may be what DNR gave us, but has anyone asked otherwise? I saw a great gal who was just starting to get into MTB take a spill because of those rocks. I can't tell you how bad she hoped to get back on that horse after falling on them. Not.

I agree with the freak the rocks are a unfortunate part of that trail, cost us $$ when the rubber goes flat, and frankly a liability to those of us who ride. Surely you mean the big rocks are bad right? :confused:

roundnround

Chimp
Aug 9, 2005
Seems like no matter what trailwork happens on Preston, someone's always bitching about it. BBTC is making it too easy, BBTC is making it too hard, there's too much water, there's too much rocks. No win.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I have been riding there for about 7 years now and with all kinds of bike/tire combos. I have never had a bad ride there because of any of the things I have heard people complain about. Do I think things could be better? Eeehhh mostly my riding. As for flats, I have never had one on Preston, I think about it when hitting the rock sections (and roots), this doesn't cause me to slow down but I do watch my lines and ride lighter on the bike in those sections. I think most of the flats up there are tire pressure and/or technique oriented, but that is just my opinion. :evil:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
On one ride Ethan got three flats. It was a rim problem... But it was still a really fun ride. Ethan still kicked our a** on a flat tire. :thumb:

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
So where you Ethan riding this weekend?
I'm not sure yet. Ethan is going down south on his big bike and I'm staying up North and doing some xc with one of my fellow Beavers... Something with minimal amount of climbing. :rolleyes:

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
MUTOLI said:
I'm not sure yet. Ethan is going down south on his big bike and I'm staying up North and doing some xc with one of my fellow Beavers... Something with minimal amount of climbing. :rolleyes:
I'm going on Skookums Cooper ride on Sat. on Sun. I am probably going to hit SST for a bit in the morning I think. How's the knee doing?

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
evilbob said:
I'm going on Skookums Cooper ride on Sat. on Sun. I am probably going to hit SST for a bit in the morning I think. How's the knee doing?
The knee is alright. I mostly notice it on climbs.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
evilbob said:
If you do the SST on Sunday morning let us know. You and Kev can hit the park while I tool around on the trails.