Quantcast

Anybody know Nitrogen gas levels on CCDB?

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
As some of you know through past postings i live in Peru, and there aint no Cane Creek Certified Shock technicians anywhere near where i live and i have to Service my CCDB, seems it came with a little air bubble that i can feel when the shock rebounds its last bit of travel. It was a slightly used shock so it would be a bad idea to change the oil anyways before flying up to Vancouver for my Whistler trip.

Anyways, one of my best friends is a MX shock tuner and told me he could definitly do the job for me but he wanted to know the pressure of the nitrogen in the pigy back.

might any of you know this???

I emails malcolm at Cane Creek but he´s out of office and i wanna do this ASAP to finally ride my new bike before i travel.

thanks guys

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
~70psi. Do not know what the piston depth is however. They also use Ohlins "5W" oil, whatever that is.

Is he using a pressure/vacuum bleed for it? That thing would be a real mofo to do a submersion or bench bleed on.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
5wt doesn't say anything. The exact fluid used is Ohlins Shock Absorber Fluid 309 @ 13.7cSt. The closest match will be Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5wt @ 13.6cSt with a high (465) VI. Malcolm will tell you 14cSt if you ask him.

The charge used varies from 5bar to 7bar (72.5psi to 101.5psi), so anything within that range will be safe.

Hope that helps.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
thanks guys, my friend works with Maxima Oils so i´ll check what weight should meet the criteria mentioned above.
thanks alot for the help!

Will not knowing Piston Depth really be a problem?

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
i just checked out the maxima page and found this for the 3weight shock oil

Viscosity cSt @ 40°C - 13.9 cSt and its viscosity index is 359

so i can use this one right?

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It can be. They told me once before at CC but that was a while ago. I want to say it was around 25-30mm depth? That could be completely wrong though.

They said 70-72psi is their stock, but they went higher with a few mm shallower IFP for some of the faster pro guys who were blowing through the travel harder (Kovarik and other freight trains). A bit higher wont hurt it or anything, but I wouldn't dynamite it and put 200psi in it either. If anything I would err on the deeper side for the IFP depth. On bottom-out the shaft could potentially displace too much oil into the resy and damage something if it gets too much backpressure, but the shaft on that shock is tiny so that's unlikely.

It'd be nice to have somewhere local to rebuild those or at least get a vacuum bleed and nitrogen charge done if you have to replace the seals. Most moto places won't even touch a MTB shock for liability reasons.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The Maxima stuff is good. Nothing wrong with it but probably not quite as nice as the Ohlins. Doubt you'll notice a difference at that point. The Torco RSF light (purple) is a 14.5 on that scale, so that's another alternative, but is 288 VI. Still quality though.

Unless your shock has a leak, just de-pressurize the resy and remove the reservoir cap and measure the piston depth that you have before you drain the oil. That depth, 70-80psi, and that Maxima oil and you should be golden. However if the shock was leaking oil, the piston will probably migrate inwards a little bit and decrease the resy pressure, and that depth won't be an accurate number to rebuild the shock to.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
to be honest the CCDB with gold body (should be an 08 or 09 right?) came on a barely used Commencal frame that i bought this month.

I suppose its not leaking but could have lost a tiny bit of oil through normal use, which is the small pocket of air that i feel at the beginning of the stroke or at the end when i compress the shock and it rebounds pretty quick at the very end, like if it loses damping.

thanks to UDI and Hecktastic for the help, hopefully the IFP is at its correct level and i can service the shock with all the info you guys have given me.

If anybody else knows at the depth the IFP should go please let me know!!

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
By the way, has anyone pressurised the CCDB themselves / know exactly what tools and procedures are required to recharge it?

Not after guesses though, interested in hearing from someone who has successfully done it.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
i personally havent done it but my buddy has the need and gauge and he then goes to some place where they have the gas to pressurize the shock, i've never seen it in person though.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Malcom was awesome enough to send me the Servicing Manual for the CCDB, i guess now im all set, there are some tools i know my friend doesnt have but we'll make the best to manage. i did a quick read but i still cant find the exact IFP depth in numbers but i'll check again later when i have more time.

if anybody wants this manual in PDF, drop me a PM

Cheers

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Malcom was awesome enough to send me the Servicing Manual for the CCDB, i guess now im all set, there are some tools i know my friend doesnt have but we'll make the best to manage. i did a quick read but i still cant find the exact IFP depth in numbers but i'll check again later when i have more time.

Cheers

burnout

Chimp
Mar 19, 2009

Cheers
Can you post me the Double Barrel service PDF??

Thanks in advance!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I would love to get ahold of a copy of this manual as well.....

IF you can PM me and I will send an e-mail

Thanks!!

manson228

Chimp
Apr 11, 2012

Cheers
Can you post me the Double Barrel service PDF??

Thanks in advance!