Quantcast

Anybody know of a US online store I can buy this from????????

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
Kona makes something similar but not quite as elegant. Any Kona dealer should be able to score one.
I dont' see anything on their website about it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Why not just go with a front derailleur? $35 new and can be used to "shift" if you decide to go with a 3 ring setup.
Yeah the worst part is I actually have one for this bike.
Fawk... maybe I'll just run 3 rings in the front.

J

JRB

stosh said:
Yeah the worst part is I actually have one for this bike.
Fawk... maybe I'll just run 3 rings in the front.
You don't have to shift. Just adjust the screws. That's what I did when I ran that ring 1 x 9 on the Dean.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
You don't have to shift. Just adjust the screws. That's what I did when I ran that ring 1 x 9 on the Dean.
yeah well if I'm going to go thru the trouble of putting it on might as well run the rings.
But... I'll think about it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
marlopez had one of those on his .243 for a while, and it SUCKED. He lost chains all the time.

Just get a simple, minimalist chain guide. Check out the Gamut series, you can get one for a smaller ring, too. The Truvativ box guides are also super cheap, and can fit down to a 34t ring.

A buddy of mine put a cartridge v-brake pad in his front deraillure to make the tolerances smaller and to help hold the chain on, then slipped the chain through some 1.5cm diameter surgical tubing held to the chainstay with some zipties. I still haven't seen him drop a chain, and he spent next to nothing. Only problem is it looks super ghetto. Other than that, it's a viable option. I'll try to get some pics up.

J

JRB

stosh said:
yeah well if I'm going to go thru the trouble of putting it on might as well run the rings.
But... I'll think about it.
I think I am having trouble wrapping around your logic. A front derailleur has 1 bolt. They're not any trouble. You don't have to worry about vertical alignment so much with a single ring. You need a 5mm hex wrench and a phillips screwdriver. Combine that with 5 or 10 minutes and you are done.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bikenweed said:
marlopez had one of those on his .243 for a while, and it SUCKED. He lost chains all the time.

Just get a simple, minimalist chain guide. Check out the Gamut series, you can get one for a smaller ring, too. The Truvativ box guides are also super cheap, and can fit down to a 34t ring.

A buddy of mine put a cartridge v-brake pad in his front deraillure to make the tolerances smaller and to help hold the chain on, then slipped the chain through some 1.5cm diameter surgical tubing held to the chainstay with some zipties. I still haven't seen him drop a chain, and he spent next to nothing. Only problem is it looks super ghetto. Other than that, it's a viable option. I'll try to get some pics up.
cool man thanks!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I think I am having trouble wrapping around your logic. A front derailleur has 1 bolt. They're not any trouble. You don't have to worry about vertical alignment so much with a single ring. You need a 5mm hex wrench and a phillips screwdriver. Combine that with 5 or 10 minutes and you are done.
Would it make you happy if I said I was going to do it?

J

JRB

stosh said:
Would it make you happy if I said I was going to do it?
I'm not sure. I am just pointing out that it serves the same purpose as the dog thing. I am stating that it works for that, or for shifting. I didn't think you were seeing my lips move.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Ok, just went for a ride with my buddy who has this ghetto set up. It's not something I would ever ride, but it's basically free, and you can still shift between all 3 rings. He usually just uses the big ring for DH racing, and the chain seems to stay on just fine. I've actually never seen him with a dropped chain, but he is one of the best riders around, and definitely the smoothest rider I've ever seen ride a bike. You all have no idea how incredibly good this kid is at riding a bike. That could be why he doesn't drop chains.

But anyhow, here's his chain guide:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bikenweed said:
Ok, just went for a ride with my buddy who has this ghetto set up. It's not something I would ever ride, but it's basically free, and you can still shift between all 3 rings. He usually just uses the big ring for DH racing, and the chain seems to stay on just fine. I've actually never seen him with a dropped chain, but he is one of the best riders around, and definitely the smoothest rider I've ever seen ride a bike. You all have no idea how incredibly good this kid is at riding a bike. That could be why he doesn't drop chains.

But anyhow, here's his chain guide:

Awesome man thanks for the pics!

I'm not really sure what to make of that setup. How often does he go thru rubber hosing? :)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The hosing seems to last a while. It's not the best setup ever, but it's cheap and simple. Plus, you can post in the Patineto threads.

I ride a Gamut guide, usually with a single 36t ring for XC, 38 for DH. I was able to win the last two XC races I entered with it, both Collegiate B level, nothing big, but you can climb/ride XC/do whatever just fine with a 36. Especially with those honkin big 32t cassttes. With how smooth a 36 turns in compared to a 32, it feels fine on the climbs. For XC, I would highly recomend the Gamut, it's really light, and when set up properly, doesn't drop chains. I just bumped up to a 38t on my bike for the world cup season, and definitely prefer it over the 36 and 32.

On a BMX bike, adding one tooth on the freewheel requires adding 2.5 teeth to the chain ring to achieve the same ratio the bike had before there was anything added. This means that gears in back are far more important than gears in front, and you'll be fine, happy, better looking, taller, and smell better if you ride a single ring. I promise!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bikenweed said:
The hosing seems to last a while. It's not the best setup ever, but it's cheap and simple. Plus, you can post in the Patineto threads.

I ride a Gamut guide, usually with a single 36t ring for XC, 38 for DH. I was able to win the last two XC races I entered with it, both Collegiate B level, nothing big, but you can climb/ride XC/do whatever just fine with a 36. Especially with those honkin big 32t cassttes. With how smooth a 36 turns in compared to a 32, it feels fine on the climbs. For XC, I would highly recomend the Gamut, it's really light, and when set up properly, doesn't drop chains. I just bumped up to a 38t on my bike for the world cup season, and definitely prefer it over the 36 and 32.

On a BMX bike, adding one tooth on the freewheel requires adding 2.5 teeth to the chain ring to achieve the same ratio the bike had before there was anything added. This means that gears in back are far more important than gears in front, and you'll be fine, happy, better looking, taller, and smell better if you ride a single ring. I promise!
My head hurts...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
stosh said:
My head hurts...
Mine too, but the arm hurts a little more.

Photbucket rules! I'm really enjoying the multiple photo upload feature, after 8 pages of individual photo uploading, it's a life saver!