Quantcast

anybody know what this is?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Its a door hatch or panel hatch. Just like on a truck. They were mostly used in older boats and Victorian era yachts. To batten down the galley door or a deck hatch in boats. Victorian era parlor panels used them also to link the panels together when they were opened. The next panel would have had a receiver that had a button release on it. When the hatch was down it activated a lock at the top of the panel to lock it in place, much like a commercial door with a push bar that locks the door at the top and bottom of the door instead of a jam.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Is this like trivia where you know the answer, or are you trying to find the answer?

I'm guessing some kind of chopper. Either that or an extractor for a sheered off motor mount bolt.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Its a door hatch or panel hatch. Just like on a truck. They were mostly used in older boats and Victorian era yachts. To batten down the galley door or a deck hatch in boats. Victorian era parlor panels used them also to link the panels together when they were opened. The next panel would have had a receiver that had a button release on it. When the hatch was down it activated a lock at the top of the panel to lock it in place, much like a commercial door with a push bar that locks the door at the top and bottom of the door instead of a jam.
on a scale of 1-10 how sure are you?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
on a scale of 1-10 how sure are you?
Five. If you had a better pic I would send it to my Uncle and he would be able to identify it. Can you give us any more info? Where did you find it? What was it attached to?

When the Irish came to America after being in steerage for 2 months. It was common to steal the Brass parts of the bin hatches to commemorate the rough passage. If Grandma\Aunt Mabel died during the passage. The theft of anything in the stall would be used as a remembrance. For this reason many Brass Foundries formed in Passiac New Jersey to supply replacements for the stolen parts.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
is it unusual that I NEVER know if/when jdcamb is being serious? :hmm:

I'm kinda waiting for this explanation to involve cats, bondage, blotter acid and marshmallows.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.

I'm kinda waiting for this explanation to involve cats, bondage, blotter acid and marshmallows.
I think he's being serious... maybe... possibly... damn it. Now I'm not sure either.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

I don't like Marshmallows, Animal Cruelty, or Acid. In that order or any other one you could put them in.....

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If I am not mistaken, I saw something just like that at the old Waley house in Ocean beach. Only the pic you have is missing a peice, but for some reason it is standing out in my head as a legal stamp, minus a few peices.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was wrong. I'm still not sure about her answer though. My friend says it is a wiggle stick for a carpet loom. To combine more then one type of thread or yarn from different bobbins.