Quantcast

Anybody know where to buy trees online?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm looking to purchase a few Dawn Redwoods online but I can't find any that are really affordable. Just wondering if anybody has done this before and if so who have they used?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The only trees I've ever paid for were fruit trees. My wife volunteered for an Arbor Day thing that got us about 8 nice trees at our old house.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Actually, that doesn't work worth a damn with acorns. They do better if you just cover them with leaf litter or mulch.

Buying trees and planting non-native species are both pretty idiotic in my book.
You're right I'll just plant some chestnuts then.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Don't you have like 5 acres of forest?

It's called a shovel. Dig deeper than you think you need to, and water profusely.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Don't you have like 5 acres of forest?

It's called a shovel. Dig deeper than you think you need to, and water profusely.
Ha, I have plenty of maple trees etc but I've been really intrigued after finding a Dawn Redwood in a local park designed by Calvert Vaux. Obviously the tree wasn't part of his design since it was even discovered until the 1940's.
It's a beautiful tree and it can adapt to the variety of soils I have on my property.

I just figure it's always better to plant as opposed to cut down.
Wull, I have 75 acres of land, much of which is wooded - At the south end I have a significant infestation of buckthorn and Japanese honeysuckle, which crowd out local plants like shad.

I spend a lot of hours every year cutting out the invasives. On the larger scale, it's a losing battle, because surrounding land is rife with non-native species.