Quantcast

Anybody live in Hawaii?

...I may be able to assit you depending what you are trying to find.

We have friends over on Maui that we don't see enough and we ride the powerline trail down from the top of Haleakala which includes everything from volcanic doubletrack, insanely fast jeep roads, nice flowly singletrack along cliffs and through rainforest, high speed sections through fields and steep chutes, jumps, log rides and bridges for those willing to try. And that is one of the trails.

The cycling scene in Hawaii in general is big due to the fact that it is an ideal traiing ground for triathletes and having the Ironman on Hawaii doesn't hurt us either. The mountain biking scene is not as big as it was 10 years ago but the downhill segment is up and coming and we see new riders entering our sport on a pretty consistent basis.

If I am not mistaken, you are a photographer no? If anything, use your bike to carry you to the loads of photographic areas on any island. Photography is my 2nd love after cycling and once I am not old/injured/battered to ride anymore, I'll still be out and abuot shooting. Of course a D2H and 2.8 zooms make the experience a lot more pleasurable.

If you would like more info, feel free to PM me and I can give you some contact info and steer you in the right direction depending on your needs.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Aloha Derrique! The island just might be your speed. You can forget to bring your heavy jacket, unless of course you do decide to go to the top of Halakalea. :dancing:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
kuma said:

We have friends over on Maui that we don't see enough and we ride the powerline trail down from the top of Haleakala which includes everything from volcanic doubletrack, insanely fast jeep roads, nice flowly singletrack along cliffs and through rainforest, high speed sections through fields and steep chutes, jumps, log rides and bridges for those willing to try. And that is one of the trails.

The cycling scene in Hawaii in general is big due to the fact that it is an ideal traiing ground for triathletes and having the Ironman on Hawaii doesn't hurt us either. The mountain biking scene is not as big as it was 10 years ago but the downhill segment is up and coming and we see new riders entering our sport on a pretty consistent basis.

If I am not mistaken, you are a photographer no? If anything, use your bike to carry you to the loads of photographic areas on any island. Photography is my 2nd love after cycling and once I am not old/injured/battered to ride anymore, I'll still be out and abuot shooting. Of course a D2H and 2.8 zooms make the experience a lot more pleasurable.

If you would like more info, feel free to PM me and I can give you some contact info and steer you in the right direction depending on your needs.
Hey Rob, how have you been?

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
I lived on Oahu for seven years. Loved it, would move back in a second if I had a job to go to.

Maui is rad, but a little too "outter island" for my taste. I prefer Oahu as it offers all the cosmopolitan creature comforts, yet you can still access places that are as unspoiled and remote as on any of the other islands.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Yo D,
I grew up on Maui, my whole family still lives there. Where on Maui are you going to be living? I have a couple friends I can hook you up with if you need any info or help with anything.

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Toshi said:
awesome. what sparks this change?

i started a decently long thread on hawaii a little over half a year ago: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95579
Thanks Toshi, some good info there.

I now have a sugarmama :) I put my g/f through school so she didnt have to work the last 5 years and this last year, we decided that once shes out, I get to retire and really focus on building my photography business. She has some pretty amazing job offers in Hawaii so were gonna do it :) Im a little hesitant because I have actually got a pretty good business going in Seattle now, and would essentially have to start over(wedding photog) but we both decided that it was worth the risk :)

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
kuma said:

Thanks, I will probably hit you up as it gets closer to move date.

Thanks everybody else for the input and info.

It looks perfect for me, Im sick of big city and concrete. I will miss doing this though :)

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Wedding photog is easy on Maui - I used to do it in High School and college. Just gotta get hooked up w/ a few hotels and camera/photo finishing shops. There's a lot of tourist that go over there for weddings. Getting in w/ the locals is a little harder though. If you ever make it to Hana - let me know, my aunt and uncle own THE flower farm there.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
derekpearson said:
Thanks Toshi, some good info there.

I now have a sugarmama :) I put my g/f through school so she didnt have to work the last 5 years and this last year, we decided that once shes out, I get to retire and really focus on building my photography business. She has some pretty amazing job offers in Hawaii so were gonna do it :) Im a little hesitant because I have actually got a pretty good business going in Seattle now, and would essentially have to start over(wedding photog) but we both decided that it was worth the risk :)
Sweet man, i'm glad for ya. My short time on the island i really had a blast. i hope we can catch one last Cap shuttle or let me take you to Ranger Creek for a really sweet descent.
If i don't catch ya before you blaze, best of luck to you man! :thumb:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I can only say I will look forward to your photographs from the Islands.

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
stevew said:
I can only say I will look forward to your photographs from the Islands.
thanks- Im looking forward to shooting!!

Skookes!! We can definitely do some riding this summer. Im not leaving until sometime at the end of the year. My g/f just missed the dental boards for Hawaii and so she has to wait until then. I have a bunch of weddings to do before then as well so its good. Im going to fly back for a few weddings that I have booked next year as well

Five - Yeah, Im excited about hawaii weddings. How can a guy go wrong shooting in a place like that!!? :D

derekpearson said:
Thanks, I will probably hit you up as it gets closer to move date.

Thanks everybody else for the input and info.

It looks perfect for me, Im sick of big city and concrete. I will miss doing this though :)
When you come over to Oahu, there is still a semi-big city and concrete. There just happens to be a lot of green in between and the ocean within walking distance (from downtown anyway). :)

As far as shooting live music, there are plenty of opportunities for you to do that here as I have friends who love that stuff. I'm not into that scene at all so I can't help you but I know it exists.