Quantcast

Anybody own a Scott bike?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Had a Scott Reflex LTD for a while till it got stolen.

Looks like a decent flat bar road bike. Entry level components. I've been hammering on my sora gruppo for 4 years now and it still shifts clean. Needs more maintenance and adjustment compared to the dura ace gruppo on my wife's bike though.... for $700, I say get it.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Looks like a pretty decent little flat bar roadie. Might also consider the specialized Sirus and the Trek fx series.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
am a bit of a Scott whore.
Currently i have sitting in my house:

Scott Gambler DH10
Scott Voltage FR30
Scott Scale 40

they make good bikes, good warranties too...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
am a bit of a Scott whore.
Currently i have sitting in my house:

Scott Gambler DH10
Scott Voltage FR30
Scott Scale 40

they make good bikes, good warranties too...
Going to stop by LLBean while I'm in Maine next week. I'll take a look at them there.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Been thinking about getting something like this.

http://www.scott-sports.com/us_en/product/10052/55738/218123

I can't alway find the time to get to the trails for a ride but I can always find time to get a quick 45min-1hr road ride in.
My 2nd CX Team frame has held up solidly for 3 years now. (First one cracked after about 10k of hardcore commute miles) Have almost another 10k on this one. Almost all the components have been swapped. Only things original are the front (105) and rear (ultegra) ders and the Avid shorty4 brakes. Oh, and the right 105 STI shifter (left one got replaced after my 30mph crater).

Solid warranty on the frame, yo.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The flagship store has a surprisingly large selection of bikes at all price points. (Wife and I were there a few weeks ago.)
Yeah I know, honestly being there and seeing the Scott line is what initially got me interested in Scott.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Frame might not live too long if you use it as a full on CX bike.

:spam: If you do want to do some LIGHT CX, I have a CX fork with canti bosses. Carbon too!
Well I wouldn't ever take it off road, just some around town riding and maybe some paved rail trail.

Thanks for all the good info guys, this is a part of cycling I know nothing about.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Well I wouldn't ever take it off road, just some around town riding and maybe some paved rail trail.

Thanks for all the good info guys, this is a part of cycling I know nothing about.
Then that S50 will be more than adequate. This should be an upgrade that you should do almost immediately. My wife and I have been flat free for over 2000 miles each. Been using ultra light tubes too. So much better than a pre slimed tube.

use this http://www.cantitoeroad.com/caffelatex-injector
to put this stuff in http://www.cantitoeroad.com/caffelatex-1000ml-latex-tire-sealant

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I just wanted something I could use for a variety of functions vs strictly road riding.
What can you do on a flat bar road bike that you can't do on a relaxed geo/ century road bike? I think specialized even uses the roubaix frames on their high end flat bar bikes. Drop bars have more hand positions = moar better, you'll be more comfy on long rides

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I recently picked up some hours working at an REI bike shop that sells/services Scott bikes, and I have to say that I am very impressed with their entry level offerings. Better than their counterparts from C-dale, Raleigh and Marin that I've seen.

The S50 is a good bike for the money, and it seems solid. I just got one actually, but I can't give you any ride impressions yet, as I have no time on it.
Anyway, the Sirrus is a good bike, but it leans more toward the comfort bike style than a flat-bar road bike.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I recently picked up some hours working at an REI bike shop that sells/services Scott bikes, and I have to say that I am very impressed with their entry level offerings. Better than their counterparts from C-dale, Raleigh and Marin that I've seen.

The S50 is a good bike for the money, and it seems solid. I just got one actually, but I can't give you any ride impressions yet, as I have no time on it.
Anyway, the Sirrus is a good bike, but it leans more toward the comfort bike style than a flat-bar road bike.
The sirrus LTD is a robaix frame, I wouldn't call that relaxed AT ALL for a bike like that

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd recommend against a flat bar road bike. You would be surprised what you can ride with drop bars. I used do a lap on some easy MTB trails while out on road rides. You will be limited by tire tread and width not your bars.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

I have one of these, its the Kona Dr. Dew. I love mine. It has about 8500 miles on it, still looks almost new. Just changed tires out and put a bash guard on it, and Robert's your mother's brother.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Stoshzilla, I was just in REI today and noticed they carry Scott bikes (as J-Dubs mentioned). Not sure if there's an REI near you (or if they also carry Scotts), but it might be worth getting there if you're a member for the nice dividend you'll get back.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Stoshzilla, I was just in REI today and noticed they carry Scott bikes (as J-Dubs mentioned). Not sure if there's an REI near you (or if they also carry Scotts), but it might be worth getting there if you're a member for the nice dividend you'll get back.
The closest REI is 45min away. I'm going on vacation next week and will be at the LLBEAN store in Maine. I'm going to check the Scott bikes out while I'm there. If I like it then I may purchase when I return.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Ive been beating the isht out of a scott voltage for about 6 years now. All the components have been replaced but the frame is still rock solid and its still in service as my 4x bike.

Also I'm about to pull the trigger on a Voltage FR in a few weeks. And Crabjoe is right, I'll be getting $200 worth of sweet backpacking, climbing, and paddling gear for free just for buying my bike through REI, as opposed to nothing if I bought it anywhere else. Plus I'll have the sick REI return policy on top of the sick Scott warranties.