Quantcast

Anybody ride in the Penn State area of PA?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'll be there for a weekend at the end of the month and was hoping to ride.

Any suggestions?

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
Oh hell yes. I rolled around that area when I went there. Awesome riding in roth rock state forest. Technical rocky straight up and down logging trails. Glacial Rock fields.

Buy a purple lizard map of the park at any downtown bike shop for $6, you will need it. I reccomend Mt. Nittany Wheelworks off of North Atherton. Let me know what else you want to know.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jonKranked said:
chances are you'll never make it away from the bars. check out sports bar and the dark horse.
I'm going for a family (cousin) reunion.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Rothrock is definitely the best riding in State College. PM Agentorangemen. Peter6061 and I crashed at his place for SSWC. Heck of a guy and knows the Rothrock trails well. He'd also be able to tell you what trails were lost in the recent fire.

If you're unable to get in touch with him, check with the folks at Mt. Nittany Wheelworks. They sometimes have group rides leaving from the shop.

If you're forced to go it alone, there are some maps here. Some of the trails weren't well marked when I was last there. It's a big place and GPS or good compass skills are recommended.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BikeGeek said:
Rothrock is definitely the best riding in State College. PM Agentorangemen. Peter6061 and I crashed at his place for SSWC. Heck of a guy and knows the Rothrock trails well. He'd also be able to tell you what trails were lost in the recent fire.

If you're unable to get in touch with him, check with the folks at Mt. Nittany Wheelworks. They sometimes have group rides leaving from the shop.

If you're forced to go it alone, there are some maps here. Some of the trails weren't well marked when I was last there. It's a big place and GPS or good compass skills are recommended.
Awesome man you rock!!!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
stosh said:
Awesome man you rock!!!
As for bars, I spent a lot of time and money at Zeno's (great beer selection) and at the Rathskellar and the Brewery (great dives). Cafe 210 West is a cool place to catch a band or if you want to chill on the patio with a brew post-ride.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Rothrock is some of my favorite riding anywhere. As BikeGeek mentioned there was a recent fire that has shut down most of the Tussey Mountain trail but there is still lots of good stuff. The Purplelizard map is very good but I don't think it has the TM extension (too new) but the fire damage will keep you out of that area anyway. I absolutely love State College and will probably move back at some point. I'm there just about every weekend in the fall for football and manage to get a ride in now and then. There is some other riding in the area as well if you just want to take an easy spin - McKee St. park->Toftrees is still open I believe (a JoePa jogging route) and you can probably still take the bike path north of out town, past the golf course and out to the Scotia area.

Raymo at nittanymba.org has been putting together some maps as well and there is likely someone on that board that would show you around.

For bars, I like the Rathskellar (dive) or Zeno's. Otto's on N. Atherton is the only local micro-brewery. If your gf is going, the Adam's Apple on Calder Way followed by dinner at the Tavern would be a good choice. For a decent menu/beer selection The Deli is a pretty good way to go.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Mike B. said:
They did last year. The Wilderness 101 is the only big race going through there this year.
Don't forget the ECNASSCU. I think that's in State College again.

I believe Toftrees is technically closed. It's State Game Land. The state closed all 1.4 million acres of game land to mountain bikes several years ago. They adopted a "positive signage" policy, ie. if there is no sign stating it's open to bikes, then it's closed.

That's the East Coast North America Single Speed Championships of the Universe

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
BikeGeek said:
I believe Toftrees is technically closed. It's State Game Land. The state closed all 1.4 million acres of game land to mountain bikes several years ago. They adopted a "positive signage" policy, ie. if there is no sign stating it's open to bikes, then it's closed.
Wasn't sure of the status totally but the loop I used to do out there doesn't touch any game lands. I guess that could have changed though. The Scotia section was partially game lands so I suppose that would be out. Used to be some singletrack around the deer pens too but I know that was closed a few years back.

Greenwood Furnace is another option or if you have time. Black Moshannon and Bald Eagle State park would be good but not too close to town.

Damn I miss those rocks.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow... I didn't know there were so many Penn. State guys here.

I'm a current student (well... returning student) so I'm pretty familiar with most of the area.

As far as bars go if you want to just be chill and kick it, there's the G-Man, Cafe 210, Mad Mex has a pretty decent bar and good food, the Adam's Apple, and of course the exclusive Bar-Bleu. It's in the basement of Beulah's BBQ restaurant, but the have a lounge, and live jazz.

If you want to tear it up in a mosh pit go to The Crowbar. Great live bands play there - mostly national acts. I know Chuck, the GM so if you want to know who is playing the week you are coming up let me know. I'm also tight with Justin the GM of the G-man, and most of the bouncers there as well.

If you want some adult flavored entertainment you can go to the End Zone... The main room is the size of a high-school gymnasium complete w/ 25 ft. high ceilings and brass poles that go all the way to the ceiling. No lie. I know the owner of that place too, but I'm not gonna give out his name here. If you go there, most of the girls are pretty hot and friendly.

Avoid going to these bars: Shadygaf, Big Easy (total rip-off and hangout for collar-popping frat douchebags), and Club Love (which is above the Big Easy - also know as the "Over Easy"... oddly enough despite the rich white kids who hang out downstairs, 1 person has been shot and another has been stabbed here). You could try Players, but usually it's just typical college scumbags and ho-bags looking for a quick fix. Pretty crowded too.

For MTB'ing talk to the guys at "The Bike Shop"... I've know these guys for 4 years and they are the sh!t. They routinely go on rides together when the are not working at the shop, and they know the trail network like the back of their hand.
http://http://www.thebicycleshopinc.com/

...ask for Grant, Eric (the new owner), or Sean. These guys are really cool to hang and ride with. I'm solely a DH guy, so I don't know as much about the XC scene as these guys do, but they can definitley help.

Hope this helps - take care.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
BikeGeek said:
Not me, I'm a townie. :)
Some of my friends that stayed in town for jobs made that transition from student to townie way too easy. Grumbling about move-in weekend, grumbling about graduation weekend, jaywalking students, etc, etc.