Quantcast

Anybody see UFC 100?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hendo with the after shot! That was KO 'o the night fo sho.

Lesner is big and dumb. He's strong and all that, but there is no skill, no moves, just lay and hit. I don't see anyone beating him because he's 40+ pounds over anyone.

GSP was awesome. I hope he moves up to fight Silva.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Lesnar post fight was a trainwreck. "He(mir) had a horseshoe up his a.. last year, and this time I pulled it out and beat him with it." Comedy gold.

Lesnar is a beast, and the flying knee he ate at the end would have finished 90% of the guys in the ufc. I really want to see a pic of what Mir looked like the next day. His face was abused the entire right.

The excalamation point on Hendo's ko was brutal.

Anybody notice that there was a bloodbath in the prelims, the entire mat was covered in blood from the danzig/miller fight.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I was a little pissed that they didn't show all of the pre-lim fights as well. It isn't like they were running short on time. They had the PPV set up for 6hrs and it only lasted about 3.5, then they just started a replay to fill the gap.

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
The Lesner fight was hard to watch. Mir just got pounded, but it was not an exciting fight at all and again Lesner showed all brawn and no technique...which is really bad for the UFC in my opinion. I really hope Fedor gets a chance to tussle with Lesner in the future. I can't wait to see Lesner get beat up by someone, but I don't see any one other than Fedor with even a slight chance.

GSP put on a great show, just domination over a tough opponent. Henderson's KO was awesome, but the last shot was cheap and IMO made him kinda look like an ass.

Dana White had some great fights on the card, but I bet he had a ton of heartburn after that event.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
IMO, I don't think Fedor wants anything to do with Lesner. I don't blame him, I think the heavyweight class is too big. For a 230 guy (daily weight) to fight Lesner who walks in at 270+ it's too much. Not saying you couldn't sneak in a shot and KO him, but if he gets on you it's done. I't like a 205 fighting 170, it's not fair.

And I agree, it's BORING AS HELL.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
See, I feel like Lesnar is good for the sport in that he's going to remain unbeaten for quite some time. By the time his next fight rolls around, he'll have gained more ground skills all while really honing his physique for MMA and not WWF. There are or have been many boring champions floating around, I think it's great to watch and get behind the really good guys...I love GSP, can't wait to see Florian beat on Blow Job Penn, want to see "the spider" get beat, and think Lesnar will be around for a long time. The rest of them I can't name...if there are more. I think it will be interesting to watch his upcoming fights because competitors will either have to expose flaws in his style, or beat him at his own game...I don't know where you'll find a 7'2 325 lb monster to stand and fight with him though...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Lesnar will attract the WWF style fans to go along with the current crop of flat brimmed affliction t-shirt wearing douche bags. This might be good short term but in the long run I think it will prevent it from going mainstreem.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Mainstream? Come on...at least around here, nothing is more mainstream than "mma classes" and "day 2 of mma" as your facebook status. I'd rather see it a little less mainstream...before every competitor starts picking queer "cage" names like Ike "the wet blanket" sanchez or David "naptime" Figueroa. Then some loser's going to come out to some country song about america with a flag painted on his face and get his butt kicked by some Brazilian who puts him in an ankle lock and makes him tap.

Anyways...who doesn't like seeing a classic david/goliath battle?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Unless Lesner develops a style other than squash offense, I fail to see how he could be good for the UFC. Again, I think they should cut the Heavy class at 230 and create a Super Heavy, or Unlimited class.

When the majority of fighters in heavyweight stand sub 230, it's hardly fair to put them in the ring with a guy pushing 270 or even 280. When he beat Randy Coture, it was by laying on him and doing short hammer fists. Not the most exciting fight for sure.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
The main stumbling block with a super heavy class is that there is barely enough guys to put together any competition at regular heavy now. If they split it apart, there would be around 5 guys in the current roster that would be legit super heavys. The new season of the ultimate fighter should bring in some new blood, and with mma becoming more mainstream there should be an upcoming crop of new guys as well.

But there is nothing worse than seeing 2 gassed out heavys leaning on each other and doing nothing to finish a fight. I would much rather see the ufc bring in a 145 class, and import some of the guys from Japan/wec/etc than see a heavy/super heavy split.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The UFC owns the WEC, so there is no reason to replicate the 145 class. I hate watching the heavies for that very reason, they are all winded 2 minutes in

GnarlyPirate

Chimp
Jun 10, 2009
Hartford, CT
I agree that it is boring to watch Brock Lesner fight and his WWE antics make him look like a jackass in my opinion. I was saddened to see how easily he overwhelmed Frank again, and Frank looked great having finally taken training as seriously as he should. Brock belongs in a super heavyweight class in another MMA league.

Henderson's knockout was the most vicious knockout I think I have ever seen.

I wonder why GSP considers the welterweight division stacked considering he could easily beat anyone in it... And I too hope he makes the move up in weight in the next couple years.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brock Lesnar couldn't even make the Minnesota Vikings practice squad, and he's now the king of UFC.

Real awesome sport there.
He should fight Bob Sapp or Butterbean next.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
Brock Lesnar couldn't even make the Minnesota Vikings practice squad, and he's now the king of UFC.
Because anyone from any other sport could just walk on to an NFL roster. That story is much more indicative as to how unbelievable of an athlete he is, and not so much as a negative. Brock had not played football since he was in highschool, and then wrestled in college and the wwe.

He then tried to just take up football. He spent several weeks in training camp, and almost made the roster. The offered him a developmental contract, and it was not enough dough for him.

There are very few individuals that could just attempt to join an nfl roster, and even be given a shot. Much less hang for a few weeks of camp.

Brock is an idiot, but he may possibly be one of the most athleticly gifted guys on earth at his size.

As for him laying on top of Mir and pounding him... Isn't that the same thing that GSP did to Alves? Brock at least finished the fight.

Mind you I in no way am a lesnar fan, just playing the devils advocate.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Went down as predicted.

Good on DH for putting that prick down. That guy needed to be humbled in a big way. Bisping is crap compared to some of the guys Hendo has beat in his career. IMHO Hendo deserves the respect he gets... Bisping is overrated, and was out of his league.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Brock is an idiot, but he may possibly be one of the most athleticly gifted guys on earth at his size.
:rofl:

Yeah, that's why he appears about the same size as Chris Hovan, who sucks and is even Jewish, but was able to make it on an NFL roster.

Here's some other guys who are similar in size to Leznar, who are easily much more athletic.

Lesnar is 6'3 , 265

How about this guy at 6'4 260, and runs a 4.5 fourty yard dash?

Or this one at 6'7, 285 lbs?

... the list could go on and on. Really, he is just a roided up loser with marginal skills. He just happens to be bigger than all his opponents in UFC. When size isnt the determining factor he sucks. NFL europe sucks too.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Frank vs Brock-I didn't like either of those tools. They were both too cocky in my eyes. Especially Frank after he beat Nog. After that, he acted like he was some sort of God and Brock even mellowed out a bit. I was hoping Mir would get his arse kicked so it would take him back to a normal level. Well, he got his arse demolished. He looked like a damn garbage pail kid.
As far as Lesnar being talentless, that's wrong. He knew what he was doing. He had complete control over Mir and Randy. Those guys didn't stand a chance. He's a lot bigger, but he has skill too. Look at the old skool days of Royce. He was beating guys twice his size because he had the skill to do it. If those guys had the skills, they would've been the champ now, not Brock.
If he and Fedor fight, it'll be good. I'd hope for Fedor. But he'd have to knock him out standing up i think. Who knows. he'd probably arm bar him if he could. With Fedor, Anderson, and GSP you never know what they're going to do to win. They just do it. That's why they look like the only real pros in that sport. They have all of the tools to get the job done.

Hendo vs Bisping-I like the extra punch at the end. Bisping is a prick. He deserved it. Dan was doing what he was supposed to do, that's fighting until the ref makes him quit. Ever seen Quinton Jackson knock anybody out? He throws in about two or three extra punches when they're out cold. It's their job. I liked it. Bisping deserved it. He needed to come down a level too.

I noticed the floors were all bloody too. But i have no idea where it all came from. I wouldn't have minded seeing the Bonnar/Coleman fight.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anyone else find it funny (or sad) that Bonnar is now an unaired undercard and Forest held a title and is fighting Silva next month? Considering their fight was considered #1 (I mostly agree, that was an epic fight).

But having Kimbo Slice in the TUF house next season is wrong. So is using Rampage as a coach AGAIN. But whatever, I'll still watch it and laugh.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I'll watch Kimbo in the next TUF fo sho. I'd like to see him fight against some real heavyweight competition. That is, if he even makes it in to the house. He could fight a guy that could choke him out before he even gets there.

Back on Brock. Even if he is an a$$hole and his interviews suck, it'll bring in more watchers. People love to see those guys lose. I just don't see it happening anytime soon unless it's Fedor. But even he can get caught by those lunch box sized fists.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'll watch Kimbo in the next TUF fo sho. I'd like to see him fight against some real heavyweight competition. That is, if he even makes it in to the house. He could fight a guy that could choke him out before he even gets there.
White made sure he'll be in the house. No prelim fights to get in. Everyone there is in the house, like the first few seasons.

After he got school by a scrub, I fail to see how he could have any talent.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Unless Lesner develops a style other than squash offense, I fail to see how he could be good for the UFC. Again, I think they should cut the Heavy class at 230 and create a Super Heavy, or Unlimited class.

When the majority of fighters in heavyweight stand sub 230, it's hardly fair to put them in the ring with a guy pushing 270 or even 280. When he beat Randy Coture, it was by laying on him and doing short hammer fists. Not the most exciting fight for sure.
Totally agree. Lesnar is too big for the guys he is fighting. They need a Gorilla class. Hell, he looks (and acts) the part.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
... the list could go on and on. Really, he is just a roided up loser with marginal skills. He just happens to be bigger than all his opponents in UFC. When size isnt the determining factor he sucks. NFL europe sucks too.
i thought bjj was a style that nullified the opponents size? howd that work out for mir?