Quantcast

Anybody ship a bike recently?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've got an interested buyer in Chicago and I'm in Boston. He's lowballing me, but it's not so ridiculous that I can't accept it....still, I don't want to agree then spend over $100.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I spent $54.90 to ship a standard bike box from PHX to San Jose. Cheat a little when you take it in and lift up on the box when they weigh it.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
UPS. Real. No wheels though. It was my 303DH, so about 40lb.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Dimensions affects UPS pricing more than weight. In fact, if you have it in a normal 60"x9"x32" bike box, UPS will charge you the same price if it's 1 lbs all the way up to 60lbs.

To keep it cheap, you want to fit it into a box smaller than 84", combined l w h. Standard frame box is around 45x10x28, just under UPS's oversized charge. You can fit a DH bike in one if you pull off the wheels, fork, bars and get creative.

Over 108" is oversized 2, which gets real expensive.

thad

Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
Also, it's way cheaper to ship to a business address than residential. Ship it to his work, not his home.

pugslybell

Chimp
Jan 23, 2002
Durango Colorado
I use fedex it is usually much cheaper. With insurance its at about $50.00 from colorado to either coast. Print the label at home use 53x29x8 for the box dimensions and try to get a bike box that is pretty close to that. Do not use an electra or rocky mountain bike box those are far enough over the size limit that they will charge you more. Drop the bike off at a Fedex kinkos at about 5 oclock and no one even measures it. I ship several bikes per month from work with no problems this way. You may pay 5 to 10 bucks more because of volume discount but the key is the box size.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I shipped to myself from CHicago to APO NY. $90 w/ $2K in insurance. I caught myself hoping it wouldnt show up a few times, but eventually it did.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks guys. I found a thread on MTBR that had some dimensions, basically 58L, 25 H, 10w insured for the sale value, from here to there, was $67 via fedex estimate. The challenge will be getting/making a box that big, then fitting the bike in it. I'll call a few shops and see if I can get a box easily.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I've got an interested buyer in Chicago and I'm in Boston. He's lowballing me, but it's not so ridiculous that I can't accept it....still, I don't want to agree then spend over $100.
I want to know how much it costs to ship a DH bike to Whistler, from Maryland and if Whistler would accept it before I arrive for my trip there, presuming I can find a few guys that want to go there to split the room. I would think, take fork off, wheels and undo shock, and fold rear frame up it could fit in a suit case... but it's a lot of work to take rear bearings out, and pull the bike practically completely apart.

AND AGREE AGREE!!! I AM NOT LOWBALLING YOU!!! :D

Last edited:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Check bikeflights.com. I just had them ship my bike back from Utah. The Serfas case I use is a bit on the big side but their rates were far less than if I had just taken it to FedEx.

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
Check bikeflights.com. I just had them ship my bike back from Utah. The Serfas case I use is a bit on the big side but their rates were far less than if I had just taken it to FedEx.
Saw a soldier in the airport today pulling a Thule bike carrier. Talked to him about it. Said it would fit his road bike but probably not my DH bike. My DH is about 43 inches head tube to rear axle. I know they rent bikes there but I'd really like to take my bike with me if I can get a couple people to go to Whistler. I think I'd be more comfortable on it. I really want to go there. I just have to find some people to go to split the room cost. Checked the price on the case, it's like $349. Not worth it. I can get a bike box and ship it cheaper I'd think.

Last edited:

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
BIGHITR - check with your local shops, sometimes they rent travel cases. I have the older version of the Serfas hard case and it's ok, not great. Very durable case, except for the little rubber feet, but the latches are a little hokey and the sides bow out a bit when the case is very full. I can fit any of my XL 29ers in it as long as I remove the fork so a DH bike wouldn't be a problem.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Thanks guys. I found a thread on MTBR that had some dimensions, basically 58L, 25 H, 10w insured for the sale value, from here to there, was $67 via fedex estimate. The challenge will be getting/making a box that big, then fitting the bike in it. I'll call a few shops and see if I can get a box easily.
If you haven't found one yet visit the Cycle Loft, they usually have a pile of bike boxes near the dumpster underneath the building. Best part is they actually have them in stock and don't have to order them for you!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Haha, I have a local guy coming to look at the bike tonight. Hopefully that works out and I don't have to ship it. I hate dealing with shipping, I'd rather get a lower price and hand something to somebody than get the full amount I want and spend time and money dealing with UPS. Besides, it was a guy on pinkbike so who knows!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Haha, I have a local guy coming to look at the bike tonight. Hopefully that works out and I don't have to ship it. I hate dealing with shipping, I'd rather get a lower price and hand something to somebody than get the full amount I want and spend time and money dealing with UPS. Besides, it was a guy on pinkbike so who knows!
He's driving all the way down from Canada!?