Quantcast

Anybody think Whistler was a little bit of a let down?

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
I would like to chime in here and say that if anything is not tough enough for you, you're either going too slow or not big enough. Sure, there's a "speed limit" on A-line more or less with all the riders on the trail, but there's a lot of stuff to kick your in the pants if you get too confident.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
but nothing was very challenging.
Which trails did you ride? I'm really curious.... With the exception of the closed stuff in the boneyard, i've ridden almost everything in the park, and I still have a challenge with some of it.

I can think of a lot of moves on that mountain that most mortal mountain bikers won't do, even on trails like dirt merchant. there are a lot of hard hits off to the sides, you just have to open your eyes and MAKE the trail challenging. a biginner can ride down dirt merchant, but it takes a pro to hit all the hard lines (and by hard, I don't mean just the bigger lips).

Kyle,

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Sad story dude. I'm living in Whistler for the summer, I'll take you to the shore if you pay for the gas :)

AGH!!! ok, here's my mad whining sesh. so i've got my trip to whistler coming up. july 22, leave for gravity camps. july 29, get picked up at whistler. proceed to stay 3 more days in god knows where. this schedule is very frusterating because my dad and sisters are going up half way through my time at gravity camp. they'll be spending time in the vancouver area as well as in parksville, squamish, and a few other fun spots. i'm pissed because i specifically asked my dad to set aside half a day that i could ride the shore. he agreed, but my sister has a swim meet now, so we lose 1 day of the trip. now, we go back on a tuesday rather than a wednesday. of course, the day that he chose to knock off was the day i would have gotten to spend riding the shore. it's doubtful that i'll ever get to ride the shore unless i pay for my own trip later, which is doubtful considering that i'd like to buy a bike instead. i've drooled over the mossy bridges for 5 years now, and this is my second time leaving the US (mexico was the other), so judging by the frequency of my vacations, i won't be returning to canada anytime soon. i guess i'll just have to move there when i get older.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
...a beginner can ride down dirt merchant, but it takes a pro to hit all the hard lines (and by hard, I don't mean just the bigger lips).

Kyle,
I suppose you hit the wooden kicker at the creek gap without even thinking about, eh Kyle? Ahh, to be 20 years younger . . .

BTW, doing Seattle line was a good warm-up for that big rock roll on Rock City.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I went just last Sunday. I had a blast. Mind you, I haven't ridden downhill in about 2 seasons so it was fun riding easy trails and working my way back up to more difficult stuff. Brake bumps are annoying, there's a lot of them. I try to stay on the outside of them. My only complaint is I didn't have a map and didn't know where things went. I always ended up back on A-line. I'll try to go back this weekend to explore a little more. I thought the mountain would be bigger for some reason.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I went just last Sunday. I had a blast. Mind you, I haven't ridden downhill in about 2 seasons so it was fun riding easy trails and working my way back up to more difficult stuff. Brake bumps are annoying, there's a lot of them. I try to stay on the outside of them. My only complaint is I didn't have a map and didn't know where things went. I always ended up back on A-line. I'll try to go back this weekend to explore a little more. I thought the mountain would be bigger for some reason.
Chris, look for me and Foster. We will both be riding there.

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
I suppose you hit the wooden kicker at the creek gap without even thinking about, eh Kyle? Ahh, to be 20 years younger . . .

BTW, doing Seattle line was a good warm-up for that big rock roll on Rock City.
yeah the wood kicker was a total "oh look, a jumpy!!!!" I actually prefer hitting the dirt kicker and transfering across the landing. the wood kicker is just the wrong lip (for a full on DH race bike).

the DRC rock roll is fun when you start jumping into it....

Kyle,

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
That kicker is super easy. I missed it the first time I rolled through there, but from then on, made a point of hitting it every time I rode that section of A-line. Some friends I was up there with saw someone launch into that DRC roller as they were contemplating simply rolling it.... it convinced them that they needed to pull their strings out and do it. :D